OK. I finally got the Splashtop app and tried to log into my PC (Windows 7) remotely. Here's some information for those of you thinking about Netflix/Slingbox, etc. through Splashtop.

The tested setup here is as follows - uplink Verizon FiOS. Downlink - DSL at 2.4Mps per Speedtest. I have used Slingplayer on this connection successfully for years, both with a laptop and a slingcatcher. It handles SD TV fine, but cannot do higher resolutions. Same thing for Netflix, as long as you keep it on SD resolution, this DSL line works just fine.

So how did the Splashtop solution compare? It passes, but just barely. Going into the PC remotely and then turning on the slingplayer application is at the very limits of being watchable. It will sometimes drop a few video frames although the audio comes through cleanly and does not stutter at all. The frame drops are not so bad you couldn't watch it, but it would be annoying. I can't see watching sports where there is a lot of fast-moving action on this. But for something like the news, where the video quality isn't so important, this would get by.

Here is what I think is going on here - both Netflix and Slingbox's remote software fill a large buffer when you start watching remotely, in order to smooth out the inevitable blips in the internet connection where speed drops for a fraction of a second. Splashtop doesn't work that way - it is an immediate connection to the desktop. So whatever the network speed is - that's what you get with no buffer to smooth things out. So even on a connection that is nominally fast enough to stream, if there is no buffer, frames are going to inevitably get dropped, because no internet connection is so flawless that some packets don't occasionally arrive a few 1/100ths of a second late.

So just like the Slingbox and Netflix streaming in other situations, your mileage may vary. I have probably about as fast an upload speed (roughly 15Mps) as you can get in a residential connection, but my downlink is pretty pokey, and it is whatever speed that is lowest that controls this. If you are say over 3.5 Mps on both ends I suspect it would probably drop fewer frames and look a little better, but I also think that without any buffer at all, you will still inevitably get the occasional dropped frame over a remote connection.

I also tried the Splashtop solution running it through my home LAN. That was flawless, no issues at all. Slingbox feed looked great and sharp and smooth. So there is nothing wrong with the Splashtop application and it will feed video out with no issues, but it is hurt by the lack of a "video" mode that would buffer the stream and clean up those inevitable, occasional drops when you leave your home LAN.

So if you want to use Splashtop to stream video within your home LAN, I say go for it. If you want to replace a laptop to view the Sling stream remotely, check your upload and download speeds closely, and expect that even if they are better than mine, you'll still probably get some dropped frames occasionally. So the Splashtop is indeed a workaround for the problem of no Slingbox App, but it's not perfect.