Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I got my touchpad about 6 weeks ago, I wasted no time in getting preware and patches on it thanks to the great people here. My brother and sister got one too. Although I directed them to this site, neither has made any modifications to their touchpad. My sister seems fine as she basically checks mail and uses internet. My brother has always been a heavy video user and ebook reader. When he brought his touchpad over the other day for me to put some videos on, I was surprised at how Spartan it was out of the box. I have watched many videos through orb and ones I uploaded on the box and also through playon with no problems. However, for watching video just on the touchpad, it seems impossible. Where do they go? How come I can see my videos fine. Are orb and playon using their own video player? How about the ones I uploaded on the box. Then I tried adding some kindle books and same problem. I have seen the sideloading thread and have tried the app from preware but I cannot see anything and it gets stuck in processing. Are there Any options for someone who hadn't installed the patches etc.? I was going to recommend he get kalemsoft for the videos but recent reviews seem to indicate a problem with it working adequately lately. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I have not had any problems with kalemsoft....its the best player I have seen

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Guilty of no patches or preware and I'm quite happy with how my TouchPad functions.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    My friend has a 16gb running unpatched and loves it. He only updated to webOS 3.0.2 because it was right there to do so when he turned it on.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    I have a friend with a 16GB TP, and all I did for him was turn the logging off, and he is quite happy with it that way. Now I am going to Preware/patch/over-clock him one of these days, but a "stock" TP, especially with the logging off, works great for all the basics.
    My TouchPad is overclocked with almost all recommended speed patches and I still have some nasty hang ups throughout the day. I don't think I could handle a stock TP.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Come play with my Twitter.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    When I first got my Touchpad a few days ago, I realized why the need for the tweeks and patches. HP should have had it running like I have it now in the first place. There are still some minor issues but I can see why the reviews were so mediocre when they were based on what I received with nothing added, let alone when it was just version 3.0. Mine came with 3.2 and it was still slower in graphics and response than my single core Android phone. They screwed up and the community fixed many of the issues with the platform.
    I definitely could not handle a stock Touchpad. That said, I also couldn't use the 1.9 overclock but it's been sitting a comfortable 1.8~ gHz for quite some time now! With the various patches it's quite snappy and hasn't crashed on me once!
    FS: 32gb Touchpad with HP Folio Case, HP Touchstone Charger, and HP Bluetooth Keyboard. $SOLD Thank you for your PM's and interest.
    I haven't patched or over-clocked my TP - I have to ensure that whater I code works as intended on a stock TP, without the need for any extras.
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    no preware here. kaleemsoft works great. never understood the reason for overclocking, unless it relates to boasting about the size of one's e-*****. although the sheep will tell you different, and with only the installation of a few apps from the appstore, the touchpad is fully functional and optimized without the need for so-called modifications/tweaks.
    Last edited by Shifty; 10/09/2011 at 04:24 AM. Reason: typos and poor college attained grammar
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    my wifes TouchPad was unpatched for ages. When I used it I found it slow. So, I put uberkernel on it and took off some of the logging. Now, its much better.

I may put warthog on it later - there are still pauses which I don't see on mine.

Alan
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I am using my 16GB Touchpad with only logging set to minimal and 3.0.3 and I can't see any need to overclock or add any more tweaks. I am happy with it as it is as I overclocked and added all the patches before and I find it runs just as fast without them.
    I minimized the logging on my TP. That's all. I had planned to overclock and install preware but just never did it. Other than the speed of the browser, the TP is ok with me. That said, I'll probably still overclock and install preware one day. That or just go all Android(when ICS or Gbread comes online).
    The only update i've done to my 32GB Touchpad was update to 3.0.2 Does the patches make a huge difference in speed ?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geffen View Post
    The only update i've done to my 32GB Touchpad was update to 3.0.2 Does the patches make a huge difference in speed ?
    Turning down the logging makes the biggest difference and also turning off the ripple effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Turning down the logging makes the biggest difference and also turning off the ripple effect.
    That was the only "tweak" I did, turning off the the logging. I watched a video comparing the TP overclocked to 1.5 vs the stock version, and it was really not a major difference. I may eventually add some preware, but at this point haven't found the need to. I really am enjoying every aspect of my ToughPad without any major modifications.
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    That was the only "tweak" I did, turning off the the logging. I watched a video comparing the TP overclocked to 1.5 vs the stock version, and it was really not a major difference. I may eventually add some preware, but at this point haven't found the need to. I really am enjoying every aspect of my ToughPad without any major modifications.
    I decided to remove my overclock kernel and go stock. Don't miss the OC at all. I have the system logging patches/tweaks and did the browser cache trick. I don't know why people would say this thing has problems out of the box.
    Sadly I believe most users have no patches, even though it is easy to load them. It makes a difference
    While I did put on uberkernel and oc it slightly, I have found most of the value in PreWare (aside from logging fixes) to be the enhancements:
    • Advanced Reset
    • Ad Blocker
    • Add Launcher Tabs
    • Custom Just Type Label
    • Browser Power Swipe
    • Default to Month View
    • Just Charge Label and Just Charge By Default
    • EOM Overlord Monitoring

And a slew of games and apps that just weren't in the HP Catalog
    I plan to install Preware but haven't gotten to it yet. My TP runs great. No significant complaints.

And KalemSoft for videos is excellent.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast