1.    #1  
    In My opinion, if you can hear the singer take a breath then i think that the sound quality is good and the speakers are good. When i have the hp touchpad at 50% and 192kp ish, i could hear adele breath when she is singing someone. I could not hear it in the $10 earphones i had. So to me the touchpad speakers had the quality of $150 earphones without the bass
    I've never noticed breathing before, mind you, the music I listen to isn't soft and quiet either
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Get more sleep, stop the drugs and drinking, you'll stop hearing things...

J/K I think the touchpad speakers are pretty decent...
    Your sound quality could be rubbish and you could still hear the singer take a breath. Breaths are all high frequency sound. Good quality speakers will reproduce a wide frequency range fairly evenly.

What sounds "good" is also a lot about what you're used to. If you're used to sound without of a particular frequency range, it takes a while to get used to hearing a good quality system that is producing the full range well. Calling the touchpad speakers decent is all relative. Yes, compared to other tiny little speakers they are decent. But I could never bring myself to listen to music through them. For me that would be like choosing to watch tv in black and white.
    I may never hear it, as I loath Adelle lol and mainly listen to classic rock and some metal. :P