1.    #1  
    I finally received my TouchPad today, and I'm wondering if there is an app or anything I can do to change the volume levels of the right and left audio channels separately. My hearing in my left ear is impaired, so I need to balance audio on anything I listen to to make it sound the same in both ears.
    Had my TP for a while now and have found no balance control. Would suggest that you install Preware if you have not already and then install increase vol lite. Also would suggest that you visit the "Official Touchpad Features Request Thread" and post a request there. Read the beginning paragraphs and tailor your request as requested. Hope that someone will develop for you and others, and I always like to play with the balance.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffyman View Post
    I finally received my TouchPad today, and I'm wondering if there is an app or anything I can do to change the volume levels of the right and left audio channels separately. My hearing in my left ear is impaired, so I need to balance audio on anything I listen to to make it sound the same in both ears.
    The speaker placement isn't really wide enough for this to be a relevant concern. I suppose it's a different matter if you're using headphones. Maybe you could invest in some sort of headphone amp with balance volume control...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
    The speaker placement isn't really wide enough for this to be a relevant concern. I suppose it's a different matter if you're using headphones. Maybe you could invest in some sort of headphone amp with balance volume control...
    Yeah, I understand what you mean by the speaker placement, but I do use headphones, so everything sounds like it's coming from the right side (this is true without headphones on as well, obviously). As for the amp, I've looked before for something like that, and just tried searching again, and the closest thing I could find was a Sennheiser HZR-62, which I'll probably order this weekend if I can't find anything else. It's surprising how few devices have built in audio balance control these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiffyman View Post
    Yeah, I understand what you mean by the speaker placement, but I do use headphones, so everything sounds like it's coming from the right side (this is true without headphones on as well, obviously). As for the amp, I've looked before for something like that, and just tried searching again, and the closest thing I could find was a Sennheiser HZR-62, which I'll probably order this weekend if I can't find anything else. It's surprising how few devices have built in audio balance control these days.
    Since you're using headphones, have you looked at ones that have a balance slider built in? I've got a set from years back for the same reason, I assume they're still out there. Might want to look at a mini-mixer with 1/8" in/out.
    Just took a quick look. Bhphotovideo.com looks to have a few things that might fit your needs.
    There's access to the alsa mixer from the commandline.

For use with headphones:

amixer set Headphone <0-63>,<0-63> [Left,Right]
  8.    #8  
    I'll take a look at that site before I order anything, thanks. I'll also look into the command line before buying anything as well, although I may end up buying some sort of physical balance control for other devices that lack balance control, even if I manage to fix it with software.
    I just submitted an app that should encompass what you need. Check out TouchVol in the homebrew section.

(also getting my post count to 5 so I can link.. grr)