Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bkdg100
  • 1 Post By texasflood
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    looking for a detailed signal strength application that has realtime reference measurements and scaled displays for wifi scanning ? anyone seen its like ?
    b3d0u1n likes this.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I have been asking/looking for the same thing for a year and a half.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    I poked around a bit figuring there must be some commands to control, or at least report on the touchpad wireless. I have not yet verified that this set of commands can be used to (re-)configure the wireless as my first attempts to change some settings seemed to have no effect. But I was able to run a scan, see below.

So I launched xecutah/xterm and started by looking in /proc and found that if you do "cat /proc/net/wireless", you get info on the current wireless connection. Then I kept looking and eventually found some commands in /sbin including iwconfig, iwgetid, iwlist, iwpirv and iwspy, apparently all part of the Wireless tools for Linux package.

"/sbin/iwconfig eth0" seems to essentially do formatted output with the same info as the cat command above. "iwlist eth0 scanning|more" gives you info on the APs in range, including MAC, SSID, channel, signal quality/level/noise, encryption on/off and type, supported bit rates. That's about as far as I got this morning.

So there are commands there are the xterm level that provide that info, somebody would just need to wrap a GUI around that. I'm not a programmer so probably beyond me but perhaps there is someone out there.

If someone knows how to simply run a script from a launcher icon and output to the screen. Or you could do "iwlist eth0 scanning>/media/internal/downloads/iwlist-out.txt" (or whatever destination directory & filename you prefer) and just bring that up in quickoffice or internalz pro to look at. I know, pretty basic, but it's something, have to start somewhere. Experiment with it some more if you're curious and want to figure out some more. As always, admin shell play is at your own risk so be careful what you do.

Here is an example for ONE entry in the resulting list with potentially personal info removed.

Code:
              Cell 01 - Address: 00:00:00:00:00:E2
                        ESSID:"MySSID"
                        Mode:Master
                        Frequency:2.447 GHz (Channel 8)
                        Quality=25/94  Signal level=-70 dBm  Noise level=-95 dBm
                        Encryption key:on
                        Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
                                  24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
                                  12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
                        IE: WPA Version 1
                            Group Cipher : CCMP
                            Pairwise Ciphers (1) : CCMP
                            Authentication Suites (1) : PSK
                        Protocol:IEEE 802.11ng
                        Extra:bcn_int=100
                        Extra:wmm_ie={really big number not sure what it is)
    Mordac likes this.
    Thanks for that... iwlist has a linux man page as does iwconfig, iwgetid, iwlist, iwpriv and iwspy. Will have to investigate what else is possible.
    iwlist(8) - Linux man page

Interesting to see that a lot of the development appears to come from a project sponsored by HP.
    Wireless Tools for Linux
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Code:
    Extra:wmm_ie={really big number not sure what it is)
    WMM = WiFi Multimedia also known as Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME)
    wmm_ie = WMM Information Element

From a quick search we find the WMM Information Element string contains several elements including QoS Info field, so there might be some useful information here for people that want to optimise streaming applications over wifi (for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    WMM = WiFi Multimedia also known as Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME)
    wmm_ie = WMM Information Element

From a quick search we find the WMM Information Element string contains several elements including QoS Info field, so there might be some useful information here for people that want to optimise streaming applications over wifi (for example).
    Yup, I don't really know what that number represents but WMM is one of the settings I mentioned in this recent post that might need to be enabled on your router to achieve 802.11N speeds.