Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Recent successful pairing of Bluetooth GPS receiver ($12 to $25) with TP has enable true GPS functionality on TP.

    Now you have the map for the entire planet in your TP - for free, thanks to Navit and Navit Maps.

    Here's what you should do:

    (1) Install Navit using Preware.
    (2) install Navit Maps, also using Preware.
    (3) Run Navit Maps, select download maps, select your region or the entire planet, state, country whatever, and download the maps.
    (4) Pair your Bluetooth GPS receiver with TP.
    (5) .... I have not tried this, but you may need to go to Settings on you TP, run location services app. On top of the location services app, click on the dropdown menu, click Locate Me Using ..., select options other than "Google Service". Google service on touchpad is IP address based and not GPS based. So don't use that.

    I am on a business trip and can't wait to go back and try. Anyone who is successful in doing this please post.

    The map is OpenStreet map and is free to anyone. There are also cloud made versions.


    -------------
    Update: Navit does not work with bt gps receiver.
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 12/01/2011 at 04:27 PM.
  2. #2  
    I can do this with MapTools but not with Navit and my Freedom Keychain GPS 2000.
  3. rsplatpc's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    Recent successful pairing of Bluetooth GPS receiver ($12 to $25) with TP has enable true GPS functionality on TP.

    Now you have the map for the entire planet in your TP - for free, thanks to Navit and Navit Maps.

    Here's what you should do:

    (1) Install Navit using Preware.
    (2) install Navit Maps, also using Preware.
    (3) Run Navit Maps, select download maps, select your region or the entire planet, state, country whatever, and download the maps.
    (4) Pair your Bluetooth GPS receiver with TP.
    (5) .... I have not tried this, but you may need to go to Settings on you TP, run location services app. On top of the location services app, click on the dropdown menu, click Locate Me Using ..., select options other than "Google Service". Google service on touchpad is IP address based and not GPS based. So don't use that.

    I am on a business trip and can't wait to go back and try. Anyone who is successful in doing this please post.

    The map is OpenStreet map and is free to anyone. There are also cloud made versions.
    What make and model bluetooth GPS receiver are you using in that price range that works?
  4. #4  
    The thing is, at this point I don't think Navit supports BT GPS, as JohnCC stated above. The reason this works with MapTools is because Metaview programmed MapTools to have this capability.

    So the folks working on Navit for webOS would have to add this capability.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    dignitary likes this.
  5. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    So the folks working on Navit for webOS would have to add this capability.
    Has the developer indicated one way or the other a willingness to do so?
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  6. #6  
    How will the Touchpad get map data if there is no Wi-Fi? (in a car, for example)
  7. jdod's Avatar
    Posts
    874 Posts
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    #7  
    I am guessing you have previously downloaded the map data for the region you are planning to use it in.

    Correct me if I am wrong.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    Has the developer indicated one way or the other a willingness to do so?
    No idea, look here.

    http://forums.precentral.net/navit/


    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    How will the Touchpad get map data if there is no Wi-Fi? (in a car, for example)
    Navit stores maps on device, see OP where he covers downloading maps you would want on the device. Also MapTools can download routes to device on an individual basis.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9.    #9  
    Finally got to try the newly purchased Bluetooth GPS receiver (TomTom Wireless Bluetooth MkII, bought it off ebay for $12 with free shipping). Paired it with touchpad easily. Mapping Tool Pro works fine with it. It does not show up in location services so no go for Navit . No need to use freetether.

    Also paired Samsung Captivate with touchpad, but it requires the use of freetether and GPS over BT apps. Captivate works with Mapping Tool Pro but does not work with Navit.
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 10/11/2011 at 07:46 PM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    It does not show up in location services so no go for Navit . No need to use freetether.

    Also paired Samsung Captivate with touchpad, but it requires the use of freetether and GPS over BT apps. Captivate works with Mapping Tool Pro but does not work with Navit.
    Someone indicated that GPS Info makes BT GPS devices show up in location services, but had no success on the touchpad. Would you care to try it? GPS Info is available for free in the HP AppCatalog.
  11. Redflea's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #11  
    I've tried Navit and it does not have the ability to use BT GPS at this time, Maptools Pro does, it prompts you to choose the location source when you launch it if you have your BT GPS device paired w/your TP - I've pre-cached maps on my TP and then navigated around town using Maptools and my Freedom Keychain GPS.

    If you want, you can even tether your smartphone to your TP, pair your GPS to your TP, and then navigate w/real-time download of maps, worked fine that way for me as well. So you don't even have to pre-cache all your maps if you don't want to.
  12. drwillec's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #12  
    I just got the tomtom mkii (for less than 10 bucks). I can't connect to it, unfortunately. I was able to pair it to my tp. the tp recognizes the mkii (as other) and accepts the passcode of 0000. The mkii is identified on my bt preferences, but when the tp tries to connect to it, I get an unable to connect error msg. Anyone successfuly able to connect the tp to the tomtom mkii?
    Last edited by drwillec; 12/01/2011 at 04:21 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec View Post
    I just got the tomtom mkii (for less than 10 bucks). I was unable to pair it to my tp. the tp recognizes the mkii and accepts the passcode of 0000. The mkii is identified on my bt preferences, but when the tp tries to connect, I get an unable to connect error msg. Anyone successfuly able to connect the tp to the tomtom mkii?
    Try Mapping Tool Pro. It works well with Tomtom mkii. The map is OK. Only draw back is that Mapping Tool Pro does not have poi or address search function.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by narf View Post
    Someone indicated that GPS Info makes BT GPS devices show up in location services, but had no success on the touchpad. Would you care to try it? GPS Info is available for free in the HP AppCatalog.
    Try Mapping Tool Pro. It works and actually shows you the map and routing. Gps info does not show you the map.
  15. drwillec's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #15  
    I tried gps info, and it didn't work. I haven't tried mapping tool pro yet, but I was really hoping it would work with the native maps program as I wish to use it while driving to help find a route free of traffic. Worry not, it is not the driver of the car using the tool, but one of the passengers. I use my phone for this now, but would prefer the larger screen of the tp. I tether the tp via wifi to my pre2 to update the maps.

    I still have the problem where the bluetooth wont connect to the tomtom mkii. I don't see how the mapping tool pro software will solve this particular issue.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec View Post
    I tried gps info, and it didn't work. I haven't tried mapping tool pro yet, but I was really hoping it would work with the native maps program as I wish to use it while driving to help find a route free of traffic. Worry not, it is not the driver of the car using the tool, but one of the passengers. I use my phone for this now, but would prefer the larger screen of the tp. I tether the tp via wifi to my pre2 to update the maps.

    I still have the problem where the bluetooth wont connect to the tomtom mkii. I don't see how the mapping tool pro software will solve this particular issue.
    Mapping Tool Pro actually detects tomtom and gives you the option to connect. you need to pair tomtom with tp first- however tp will show tomtom in gray color but no worry. mapping tool will then take cAre of that.
  17. drwillec's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #17  
    well, I purchased mapping tool pro, and yes it does connect to the TomTom mkii. I was hoping that the connection to the mkii would allow other location programs to get the GPS coordinates. Unfortunately this is not the case. The only program that sees the GPS, even after the tp is connected via Bluetooth to the mkii is mapping tool pro. Does anyone know of a way to get the GPS data to other programs? Thanks!
  18. #18  
    Yes.. I was hoping to use an External BT GPS Receiver with 'Navit' too, but they aren't talking together yet! I PM'd 'HaPe' (Navit for webOS) about this and he directed me here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/navit/3...receivers.html

    And here:

    http://forums.precentral.net/navit/3...ing-navit.html

    All a bit over my own head.. but it clearly needs some serious programing knowledge to bring it alive!

    'Location' is either near-field, by Wifi & Googles 'spy' networks.. or global, by GPS (External BT in the case of the Wifi only TP's).. and certainly to have the maps already downloaded and stored, means one can then 'escape' the Wifi zones and still know where one is going, via Satellite-fixing instead!

    Spread the word!

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/06/2011 at 01:26 PM.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    Finally got to try the newly purchased Bluetooth GPS receiver (TomTom Wireless Bluetooth MkII, bought it off ebay for $12 with free shipping). Paired it with touchpad easily. Mapping Tool Pro works fine with it. It does not show up in location services so no go for Navit . No need to use freetether.

    Also paired Samsung Captivate with touchpad, but it requires the use of freetether and GPS over BT apps. Captivate works with Mapping Tool Pro but does not work with Navit.
    Hi, can you guide us, how to pair tomtom wireless gps mkii receiver with HP touchpad. I see the gps device when search under other option in bluetooth setting and it take 0000 passcode too. but it doesn't show paired when see under bluetooth connected devices. I will appreciate for your response.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dssuman37 View Post
    Hi, can you guide us, how to pair tomtom wireless gps mkii receiver with HP touchpad. I see the gps device when search under other option in bluetooth setting and it take 0000 passcode too. but it doesn't show paired when see under bluetooth connected devices. I will appreciate for your response.
    If you have your GPS receiver shown in your list of Bluetooth devices, if it has GPS in the name, you should be able to load Mapping Tool (Pro) and find that it is one of the selectable GPS devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions