1.    #1  
    I've just managed to pair this with the Touchpad, but it doesn't look like it's going to work. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing it though. If anyone has any ideas on how I can get it to work then please let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    what exactly are you doing with it? need more info. The TP currently does not have a service to access GPS data. However, there is Maptool (free and paid version) in the app catalog that is able to do it. There are a few threads on this topic already.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  3.    #3  
    My apologies. I did read the MapTool thread, but this was specifically regarding the palmOne GPS receiver. This is such an old peice of hardware that I wasn't sure it would meet today's standards. I bought it for my old Zire 72. I'm sure I can't be the only one who has one.

I guess I will try it with MapTool and see how I get on.
    FYI, Once you've paired the gps with your TP, but before you fire up MapTool Pro, go into your bluetooth preferences and rename the gps device GPS that the word "GPS" is in the name as a separate word. MapTool Pro looks for this to determine which device you want it to use.
  5.    #5  
    OK, scrap that, it says "unable to connect"
    btw, there is the PreGo gps app that will also let you use your webos phone as a bluetooth gps for your TP.

nonetheless, if your palmone device uses the NMEA standard, and you rename it on the TP the way I mentioned after pairing, then it should work fine with MapTool Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    So are you not able to pair it yet?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    So are you not able to pair it yet?
    I think it might actually be working after all. I need to do some more tests and will return later.
    Last edited by Casion; 10/06/2011 at 10:31 PM.
  9.    #9  
    btw, thanks for the info on PreGo.
    btw, thanks for the info on PreGo.
    no problem. Before you give up on your other device though, try code 0000. It has worked for me before on other devices, even when the manuals specified a different default code.
    also try 6268 perhaps
    I had similar difficulties with my old Freedom Keychain GPS 2000. It would pair but not connect until the GPS device was selected from within MapTool.
    on my initial pairing of the touchpad and an external bluetooth gps unit, it was able to find and pair up, using the bluetooth preference page.

After the initial pairing, when I pulled down the bluetooth prompt on the upper right corner of the touchpad and tried to connect with the unit, it also said "unable to connect."

However, when I started the maptool pro app, it finds and connects smoothly.

I'm not sure why that is, but when the app that is going to use the gps device is open it connects, but when I'm just trying to connect, say, like I would with my phone, it also says "unable to connect."

just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahunabill View Post
    on my initial pairing of the touchpad and an external bluetooth gps unit, it was able to find and pair up, using the bluetooth preference page.

After the initial pairing, when I pulled down the bluetooth prompt on the upper right corner of the touchpad and tried to connect with the unit, it also said "unable to connect."

However, when I started the maptool pro app, it finds and connects smoothly.

I'm not sure why that is, but when the app that is going to use the gps device is open it connects, but when I'm just trying to connect, say, like I would with my phone, it also says "unable to connect."

just a thought.
    What you are all experiencing is exactly what you should expect. It's explained in the Maptool Pro thread. The TP has no native code to do anything with a Bluetooth GPS. So it will discover and pair with it as an "Other" device because it knows how to pair with things. But it has no clue what to do with it once it's paired so it will not connect with it. E.g. The TP has no idea even what a connection would look like with a device it knows nothing about.

The Maptool Pro author has written code in the application that does know what a connection with a BT GPS should do and knows how to create one once the device has been paired with the TP.

Until someone creates a patch that tells the internal BT function what a GPS connection should do and links that function to the internal location services, the internal BT function will continue to report that it is unable to connect. But this will have no effect on Maptool Pro being able to use any generic BT NMEA GPS device.

Tonite I was able to successfully use an i.Trek M7 and a Garmin GPS10x with Maptool Pro even though the internal BT function consistently reports that it's unable to connect to either one of them.

I hope that made sense.

...ken...
    Last edited by Ken in Regina; 10/07/2011 at 11:52 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks Ken. I'm not trying to create a duplicate thread. I am investigating this one in particular because... well, it's an official palm GPS receiver.

You are correct in everything you are saying, with one exception... MapTool is saying "NO_DATA_CHANNEL". It seems that although it finds the GPS receiver, it just doesn't appear to work correctly. This is what I feared. However, please marvel at the old days of palm by looking at the picture in the OP.

Oh, and BTW, the code is 0000 as it is printed on the back of the receiver.

Thank you everyone.
    "NO_DATA_CHANNEL" - I would try it again, it might be just temporary. Or you switch BT on your TP off and on and restart your GPS receiver.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Both of my receivers caused Maptool Pro to display no_data_channel initially. The GPS10x was for a relatively short period but the M7 took long enough that I almost gave up on it.

In hindsight, here's what happened. I use the GPS10x on the golf course almost daily (with Intelligolf on my Palm Centro). So it took only a short time for it get a location fix because my house is only 20 minutes or so from the golf course. In other words, it was doing a "warm start" which does not take very long.

On the other hand, I have not used the M7 in months. And I cannot remember where I was when I last used it. So it had to do a "cold start". This takes a lot longer before it will provide location data to the requesting application.

If you want details of GPS receiver cold and warm starts, your search engine is your friend. Short version: the shorter the time since you last used the GPS and the nearer you are to the most recent location fix it had, the quicker it will get a new location fix and start sending usable data to the requesting app.

If you have not used your cranky old Palm receiver in a long time, follow MetaView's suggestion and give it another shot. Older tech like that one can take up to half an hour to get a lock if it has not been used for a long time. Also make sure you get it out where it has a good unobstructed view of the sky. The older tech does not work all that well in the house. Even my relatively newer devices are still picky about what part of the house I am in or they will take their time getting a fix ... Or will refuse to get one at all.

For those who decide to mess with this and are buying a new receiver to try it, two rules for your first attempt: 1. set up outside where you can give the receiver the best possible view of the sky. 2. Grab a large cup of your favorite beveridge and a good book or take the dog for a walk ... In other words be prepared to give the receiver some serious time to get its first fix. If the thing was manufactured in east Asia somewhere and you live in the Excited States or western Europe, it could take awhile, even with a good view of the sky.

This only applies to the first fix because the device is doing a cold start. Subsequent sessions will be much quicker ... Typically seconds rather than minutes with modern tech.

...ken...
  18.    #18  
    Thanks for this Ken. I have left it for quite a while, but it was next to a window as opposed to actually being outside. I guess I'll give it another go when I have some spare time.
  19.    #19  
    Thanks for this Ken. I have left it for quite a while, but it was next to a window as opposed to actually being outside. I guess I'll give it another go when I have some spare time.