View Poll Results: How many GB is your cracked TouchPad?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16GB - Cracked

19 7.72%
  • 32GB - Cracked

69 28.05%
  • 64GB - Cracked

6 2.44%
  • Not Cracked

154 62.60%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Kind of a useless poll since there is no way to know the relative numbers of 16/32/64 are being looked at because there is no differentiation for uncracked. Plus we don't know the overall numbers that were made. Folks with defects are more likely than others to end up searching through forums, etc, etc.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Can anyone please post a picture of the cracks they have.

I am curious to see how they look so that I can monitor mine.

Could it be that BEATS audio is too good for the TP's chasis?
    Here's a photo - it's only a small crack but I've never had issues like this with any other device.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Most recent phones have included HTC Touch Dual (WinMo 6.1 - 6.5) > Samsung Omnia (WinMo 6.1 - 6.5) > HTC Hero (Android 1.5 - 2.1) > HTC Desire Android (2.1 - 2.3) > HTC Desire HD (2.2.1 - 2.3.3).

New: HP Touchpad 32GB (Possibly selling after it comes back from repair - contact me)
    New: HP Pre3 (Selling - contact me)
    New: Samsung Galaxy S II (Android 2.3.5)
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    So far, based on a comparison with http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...6-32-64-a.html we see that:

Cracked 16 Gb: 6
    Cracked 32 Gb: 21
    Proportion of cracked devices that are 16 Gb: 22%

Total 16 Gb: 32
    Total 84 Gb: 84
    Proportion of all devices that are 16 Gb: 16%

If you take these numbers at face value, they indicate that 32 Gb devices are slightly less likely to crack. However the sample size is low and the statistical validity is worthless because the participation level in the two polls is unequal and probably unequally distributed (e.g. people with cracked touchpads are probably more likely to read the threads about cracked touchpads). I expect that there is no statistically meaningful difference between the odds of a 16 Gb vs a 32 Gb device cracking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    seems the 32gb have more cracks. Further evidence that it was a particular run of parts
    can't agree with you there. while I don't have numbers, i believe that there are far more 32gb than 16gb touchpads out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    can't agree with you there. while I don't have numbers, i believe that there are far more 32gb than 16gb touchpads out there.
    i would have to disagree with this. looking on ebay there was always at least a 10 16gb for every 1 32 gb.
    Poll should have
    no cracked 16GB
    no cracked 32GB
    no cracked 64GB

That way we would have a much clearer idea if it really is a defect with a specific model.
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    i would have to disagree with this. looking on ebay there was always at least a 10 16gb for every 1 32 gb.
    Are there 10:1 16gb vs 32gb because everyone is buying the 32, resulting in lots of 16gb listings? Or maybe there arent enough 32gb readily available? Or...

As previously stated, there is another thread asking which TP you have, and its about 3:1, 32gb vs 16gb. Of course those results must also be taken with a grain of salt as the sample size is low. You also need to evaluate who is voting. The average precentral reader who is interested enough to answer is probably not a true average user. They probably sku more towards the enthusiast, and owners of 32gb TPs are more likely to be enthusiasts. And so many other reasons why a small sample size offers skued resulsts.
    Quote Originally Posted by lukeaddison View Post
    Here's a photo - it's only a small crack but I've never had issues like this with any other device.
    IMHO that's a stress fracture from holding that corner while you tap the screen with your right hand. Just imagine holding the plastic frame and then pushing the opposite corner until it broke. Where would you expect to see the plastic break ?

I'm not saying you're doing it wrong, or holding it wrong, as some other companies may say, I'm saying it's a design flaw. I'm surprised it was not noticed during product testing. It happens, especially on the first version of a product, just like some other companies didn't notice flaws when people held their product a certain way, despite it being the 4th(?) generation.

Maybe HP will put up a temporary app to give us all free bumbers, and then erase all mentions of it so they can pretend it never happened.

If the failure rates in this thread are acurate, HP will have to do another production run to replace all of these broken frames.
    I checked carefully and I found a hairline at the left speaker all the way to the screen. It's very hard to see, but I can feel the uneven spot in the plastic with my finger nail too. How can I prevent it from developing into a big crack? Or is it already too late?
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodtbeck View Post
    Poll should have
    no cracked 16GB
    no cracked 32GB
    no cracked 64GB

That way we would have a much clearer idea if it really is a defect with a specific model.
    It would help, but thanks to the other thread asking what model you have, we have just enough numbers to help us jump to conclusions that may or may not be accurate. But we can still use them to get worked up and start writing ultimatums!
    i think its time to merge all the crack threads into one.

it doesn't matter how many gigs it is or if it is overclocked or how you hold it or.......

its a defect and if you have a bad one it will break at some point no matter what you do.
    Polls like this do not tell you anything. It just gets a headcount of cracked TPs for those that cared to vote. How many ppl actually own a 64gb TP compared to 16 or 32?
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    My girlfriend has dropped my 16gb TouchPad more than a couple times since August. No issues with the hardware yet.
    I usually have my 32GB resting in one hand (I have big hands) and type/etc with another or having it sitting on my lap depending on where I am/sitting/standing and no cracks and trust me, I am not kind to it
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Can I ask for replacement? my 32 gb has a crack near the left speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by tony20 View Post
    IMHO it has to do with how you hold it. If you hold it by the bottom corners, near the speakers, it puts more weight on the plastic frame causing it to crack. If you hold it in the midle, where the home button is, the weight is more evenly distributed and doesnt cause the cracks.

This is just my OPINION. My wife and I have 32gb TPs, and neither is cracked. We both generally use them supported, IE we are not holding them, so there is less flex/weight/torque.

How do the rest of you hold your TPs? Do those that hold it by the bottom corners have cracks, and do those that dont not have the cracks? IE TimBoch, does your son hold it with his left hand and type with his right? This would stress the left corner, where the crack is.
    Agree. Until proven otherwise, I am assuming it is just how people hold them that is responsible for most of this. Not that people are doing anything wrong, but if you just look at how thin that plastic is around the bezel by the speaker holes, it isn't that surprising that it could be a weak point. I am left-handed and hold mine "upside down" with the speakers pointing up in landscape mode most of the time and charge on the touchstone in portrait mode. So far no cracks on the two TPs we have. Unless holding it "speakers up" really annoys you for some reason, I'd urge everybody to do that just out of an abundance of caution. I think it also improves the sound because the speakers are pointing up into the room and you get the "angry birds" dismissal Easter Egg as a bonus when you hold it that way anyway.
    Had my 32GB for 6 weeks and handled with care, no cracks. Most of the "cracks" are due to mishandling no doubt. I always make sure that the speaker side is faced up to avoid this. Anyone can post a picture so I know how it looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob250 View Post
    Still waiting for my 32gb but I was wondering if any experienced a crack again in a repaired unit. Could help us 'guess' if it is indeed a batch of bad units or simply poor design/quality of the plastic.
    That happened to me on my 32 GB unit. I was/am not happy.
    First time around the volume buttons. Now its around the micro usb port.
    32G, cracked. Today I purchased a Skinomi Black Carbon Fiber Film Shield for it.
    My poor Touchpad, the HP case didnt protect it well.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12