Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    When I first took my Touchpad out of the packaging mine had a ring like that. I thought I would have to return it but after a while of just using it powered up it completely disappeared and thankfully has not returned
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but I wanted to share my fix for this.

My cat sat on my TouchPad and I ended up with the Newton rings just like in the OP.

Waited for about half an hour and the mark was just not going anywhere, started to panic a little as I doubt HP would replace the TouchPad or replace my cat!

Anyway found this basic description of how digitizers work:
    "Attached to the upper and lower protective layers in the digitizer of a resistive touchscreen, there are two layers of conductive film as well as a gap in between these. Here is a crude example:

----------- Protective layer
    ------ Conductive layer
    Gap
    ------ Conductive layer

When you touch the screen, the conductive layers press together and Y+X coordinates are calculated.

What can happen is that one of the conductive layers loses adhesion to the protective layer (most likely the upper one, closest to the screen surface). It'll then bubble outwards, thus causing the optical ring effect and likely also kill the touchscreen function."
    xda-developers - View Single Post - The Dreaded Newton's Rings

So what I did was attach my Satnav screen mount (the sucker) to the TouchPad screen over the problem area and just gave it a slight pull. Took the satnav mount off and voila, the mark had disappeared completely!

If you read the description of how digitizers work it makes sense why this would fix the problem (of excessive pressure/weight).

And my cat still has all his 9 lives! (just!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWingUK View Post
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but I wanted to share my fix for this.

My cat sat on my TouchPad and I ended up with the Newton rings just like in the OP.

Waited for about half an hour and the mark was just not going anywhere, started to panic a little as I doubt HP would replace the TouchPad or replace my cat!

Anyway found this basic description of how digitizers work:
    "Attached to the upper and lower protective layers in the digitizer of a bresistive touchscreen, there are two layers of conductive film as well as a gap in between these. Here is a crude example:

------ Conductive layer
    Gap
    ------ Conductive layer

When you touch the screen, the conductive layers press together and Y+X coordinates are calculated.

What can happen is that one of the conductive layers loses adhesion to the protective layer (most likely the upper one, closest to the screen surface). It'll then bubble outwards, thus causing the optical ring effect and likely also kill the touchscreen function."
    xda-developers - View Single Post - The Dreaded Newton's Rings

So what I did was attach my Satnav screen mount (the sucker) to the TouchPad screen over the problem area and just gave it a slight pull. Took the satnav mount off and voila, the mark had disappeared completely!

If you read the description of how digitizers work it makes sense why this would fix the problem (of excessive pressure/weight).

And my cat still has all his 9 lives! (just!)
    Glad you fixed yours... only problem with your research is the TP is not a resistive touchscreen (like would be found on a PalmOS phone, BB, etc). It is a capacitive touchscreen.

So I agree something was touching the screen, dunno if that is an exact representative example, as the tech is slightly different (my guess is glass in contact with LCD?). I could be wrong though, don't know all that much about the construction of the various types of touchscreen.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 11/30/2011 at 03:37 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Yes you are right, never thought about what phone the guy on xda was referring to, oops!

Not gonna do anymore research on capacitive right now, just happy that my screen is fixed!
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    ok, so this thread, old as it is, was beneficial to me...here's my story...

i have three touchpads, but one i gave to my daughter for her birthday last year, and i have two that i use. my daughter's is in a nice case i bought with very hard sides and the ability to stand up at three varying angles. the two i use are in official HP touchpad cases.

a couple times i have had the two laying on top of each other and never thought anything of it. a couple weeks back i picked up the one that was on the bottom of the stack and opened it and turned it on. there was the ring...a brownish reddish hue to it, right there as obvious as can be on the homepage of google! i couldn't believe it, what was happening.

i turned off the tablet, plugged it back in and left it to sit. a couple days later i went back and it was gone...fast forward to a couple weeks later and there it was again only this time it didn't go away. not even a little. i searched around on the web, but i wasn't really onto what was going on. so my buddy swings by one night and goes "don't these have that magnet charging thing built in?" and then it hit me that might be it, and it was right in the middle of the screen in an oval shape just what i could picture the magnet would look like.

anyway, i found this post and read it and went out back and grabbed a suction cup i had...stuck it on...and pulled on it. then i separated it from the screen and removed it...sure enough, the ring was gone. very strange.

i think POSSIBLY the one touchpad sitting on top of the other doubled up the magnet strength or had some kind of opposite pole effect...i am not sure, but that ring was there for almost two weeks. ten seconds with the suction cup and it was gone.

the moral of this for me is, no matter how strange it sounded about using suction to fix this, capacitive screen and all, and as much as it seems to go against common sense...it worked. i had almost given up on that touchpad ever coming back to normal...thanks guys!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12