webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Touchpads shipped with Android
Touchpads shipped with Android
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/06/2011, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

HP investigates Android TouchPads - tablets, Mobile OSes, mobile, hewlett-packard, hardware systems, Android tablets - Handhelds & UMPCs - Hardware - Techworld

Apparently some people are receiving Touchpads running android instead of WebOS. If only we knew someone from HP (or previously from HP) that could provide the doctor for it.
skrenlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

My reading of this is that Android source code exists for the Touchpad but that no one was authorized to release it - and since it was not released due to a shipping product HP feels that they have no obligation to release this.

There are many legitimate reasons for this. For example they may have put a quick testbed codebase on the devices to do some testing with no intention of release. The code may infringe on other software licenses and they may not be in a position to distribute the code in the state that it is in at the moment. They may have never done a full code walk to validate that it is secure and also that it is not in violation - in this case they would not have known violtations but no assurance that they do not either.
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by lemanho likes this.
Old 10/06/2011, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
My reading of this is that Android source code exists for the Touchpad but that no one was authorized to release it - and since it was not released due to a shipping product HP feels that they have no obligation to release this.

There are many legitimate reasons for this. For example they may have put a quick testbed codebase on the devices to do some testing with no intention of release. The code may infringe on other software licenses and they may not be in a position to distribute the code in the state that it is in at the moment. They may have never done a full code walk to validate that it is secure and also that it is not in violation - in this case they would not have known violtations but no assurance that they do not either.
The youtube videos I've seen (I know, highly reliable source) seem to indicate more than a superficial level of viability of the android code on the touchpad. I'm honestly hoping some WFP'd HP employee will release an installer to the wild anonymously (or email it to me specifically, I'd even paypal my thanks).
skrenlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

<<Thread Moved>>
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Of the early reported Vids of a few firesale TP's getting into the wild and booting and running Android, a couple appeared to have been 'Qualcomm' efforts.. their logo was clearly visible. It was proposed by some that Qualcomm 'borrowed' a few TP's from HP to play on, as this chipset is not unique to the TP. It would only take one smart kid (sorry.. 'person or persons unknown'! Just this terminology alone implies that HP are worried and have lawyers already 'on the case'!), in the HP despatch/packaging dept to sneak a couple out!

One of these, a 32Gb model, was sold on Ebay for $1,425 on 27th Aug. Yes.. really! I watched it happen.. 'Screenshot' attached!

Hhmmm.. I often wondered WHO bought that one.. did CM7 or 'Touchdroid' get it.. or did Qualcomm and HP dive back in after it!? I don't suppose we'll ever know.. or that the vendor even really cared that much! Probably the best $150 outlay they ever made!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ebay...JPG (290.5 KB, 188 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/06/2011 at 12:34 PM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dirtyfingers and lemanho like this.
Thanked by Major Payne, vanzanthp
Old 10/06/2011, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

HP could really generate a ton of goodwill by releasing the source for the TouchPad Android kernel...
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappy View Post
HP could really generate a ton of goodwill by releasing the source for the TouchPad Android kernel...
There is nothing for HP to release.

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
HardBeatZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
Because 'Qualcomm' have it??
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Would love to see this as I would load it on dual boot for my wifes Touchpad as she used to have a pre plus and now has a X2

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
major payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
So is there nothing to this?: Issue 16 - cmtouchpad - Get Android kernel source from HP - Android port for HP Touchpad - Google Project Hosting
nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

They are Qualcomm Innovation Center test devices.
blue duck butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
They are Qualcomm Innovation Center test devices.
we're not even sure if that's true as I don't believe the hardware itself was ever marked as any sort of test device. for all we know a third party somehow loaded that android test build at the factory against the wishes of both HP and Qualcomm.

You'll never see HP or Qualcomm cooperate and I can't really blame them as it's all unauthorized distribution. I think it was pretty nice that HP even responded since it's such a minor issue about a handful of devices out of hundreds of thousands.

Last edited by sparced; 10/06/2011 at 07:59 PM.
sparced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Whether it was Qualcomm or hp who put android on the touchpad is irrelevant. Since HP sold Touchpads with Android installed on them, per the GPL they are required to release the kernel source.
Gunnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 07:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wrong...

Unless HP had an active role with the release, which they didn't, they don't have to release anything.

And secondly: You're assuming that HP actually HAVE something to release. But apparently only QIC have the source, so how do you want HP to release something thats not even in their possession?!?
vszulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2011, 10:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
News Hound

Hi all,

HP has been all over the place with this issue, (please see link).

1. they were looking into it
Then
2. It wasn't true
&
3. Now it's true.

Can they please take a position and keep it for more than a day?

LOL

Take care,

Jay

$99 HP TouchPad: Company Admits Android Powered TouchPads Shipped
By Fionna Agomuoh | Christian Post Reporter

$99 HP TouchPad: Company Admits Android Powered TouchPads Shipped, Christian News

In the midst of the $99 HP TouchPad sale, several customers reported receiving the tablet computer equipped with an Android OS instead of HP's WebOS.
Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
ilovedessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2011, 12:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

Wish I received one. Was the customers able to download from the Android Market?
slbailey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2011, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

The reason is likely that the tests in production are run on Android and then WebOs is loaded. These few units probably got around the final OS/software load step in the process and got boxed and shipped. If TP will run Androd and considering just about every other unit build at the factory will run Android, there is no reason to develop production tests on WebOs. Test it, then load WebOS to make TP unique (because that is the only part that is unique.)

While we could try and use the gotcha of "but you accidentally shipped a couple of units with Android and therefore you are obligated to give us the source code" argument, HP is big enough to tell us to pound sand. In addition, the Android running on those TP might have many of the features we want but it was probably patched just enough to run the production tests and has lots of problems with those other apps.

I think the time is better spent elsewhere. CM7/8 will be done before HP hands over the source code which is probably not theirs anyway.

Last edited by Awats; 10/12/2011 at 01:25 PM.
awats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2011, 05:10 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awats View Post
I think the time is better spent elsewhere. CM7/8 will be done before HP hands over the source code which is probably not theirs anyway.
The cm team would like the source to help with some driver issues.
They are the ones pushing hp and qualcomm to release.

oh and cm8 will probably be skipped in favor of cm9 ICS.
lafester#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2011, 06:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafester View Post
The cm team would like the source to help with some driver issues.
They are the ones pushing hp and qualcomm to release.

oh and cm8 will probably be skipped in favor of cm9 ICS.
I'm sure they would but I doubt they will get it from HP and their logic isn't going to motivate HP to hand it over. Again, the fact that a couple got shipped before it was erased won't change that. HP never offered it for sale. Internal use only. Plenty of money to stall forever.

Now if HP falls over dead and decides to hand it over ... sweet!
Old 10/12/2011, 06:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Whether it was Qualcomm or hp who put android on the touchpad is irrelevant. Since HP sold Touchpads with Android installed on them, per the GPL they are required to release the kernel source.
So if I install Android on an iPad, Apple is obligated to give us the source? Come on now.

I'll bet the license says something about "market" not dicking around or internal use. Geez, just trying it out to decide if you wanted to sell it would obligate you and I can't imagine there isn't a bail out clause for that.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0