webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Weird sound
Weird sound

Old 10/06/2011, 04:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

I've been happily using my TouchPad for weeks now, but it just started behaving weirdly yesterday: for no reason I could name, it has started playing a very short and quiet sound I can't onomatopoeticize better than "dm" - it kinda sounds like a muted guitar strum. It does this at times that seem random to me: taking the TP off the stone, minimizing an app, maximizing an app... but only SOMETIMES, not every time I do it. It doesn't seem battery-related, and I could swear I never heard it before yesterday.

The sound in and of itself isn't driving me insane... but the fact that I have no idea why the sound suddenly started playing at random is. So help me, PreCentral - you're my only hope.
Do any of you know what I'm talking about? Any explanations or ideas?
GodShapedHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2011, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mine does the same thing! It usually does it for me when flicking a card or starting the launcher. It only does it the first time and after that, sounds are normal again until some time has passed or especially after the screen goes to sleep. I hope someone finds a fix!
thirdcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2011, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

So I'm not going nuts. This started for me about 4 days ago. At first I thought maybe the vibration motor was going dead but after testing it out it's fine.

I happens when closing cards, or the occassional opening of one.

I can't remember what I had installed prior to this starting.

Hopefully someone can figure out what this is.
Old 10/07/2011, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had this same exact sound. I could not figure out when it started, but see if you have uberkernel 3.0.2-68 installed. I went back to the stock kernel and it stopped making this sound.
bsnappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/07/2011, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

No uberkernel here, but I do have a bunch of patches installed. I'm guessing one of them is the culprit.
thirdcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Has anyone made any progress on narrowing down which patch / update may be causing this?
Old 10/10/2011, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

mute system sounds?
74sickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2011, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

someone should record it and post it...
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
I've been happily using my TouchPad for weeks now, but it just started behaving weirdly yesterday: for no reason I could name, it has started playing a very short and quiet sound I can't onomatopoeticize better than "dm" - it kinda sounds like a muted guitar strum. It does this at times that seem random to me: taking the TP off the stone, minimizing an app, maximizing an app... but only SOMETIMES, not every time I do it. It doesn't seem battery-related, and I could swear I never heard it before yesterday.

The sound in and of itself isn't driving me insane... but the fact that I have no idea why the sound suddenly started playing at random is. So help me, PreCentral - you're my only hope.
Do any of you know what I'm talking about? Any explanations or ideas?
this was happening to me, it sounds like an error sound kind of like you're not allowed to touch that. I updated all my preware installs and did a hard reset and tat fixed it.
cchase231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2011, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pretty sure it's not the UberKernel or any patch - my sound stopped popping up when I switched my system language to German in order to read Pivot (it only shows when you're running the language of the country associated with your Profile / Credit Card to the best of my knowledge) and then back to English because that's how I prefer it.

I still have no idea what did it though, but since it stopped occurring even though I didn't remove or add any patches or kernels, I'm assuming the issue is unrelated to homebrew.
GodShapedHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2011, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

perhaps it's a email or messaging notification? I've not heard it although I've on had mine for about a week now with preware, uberkernel, & govnah.
mirokusan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just looked this one up. Mine started doing this, I describe it as a soft 'boing' sound, but a soft guitar strum is also good. Haven't done anything yet, but may start changing stuff..
Btravelen is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0