Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The main reason I got this printer (HP LaserJet Pro P1102w) was so that I could print wirelessly from my TouchPad. It's a WiFi enabled printer. My 64bit Windows 7 desktop prints to it just fine over WiFi. But not my TP.

It just keeps saying "This printer is currently not supported. Please select or add another printer".

I can't tell you how dissapointed I was to see that message - knowing that I will now have to do the whole product return thing on this printer.

To make matters worse, I am on the phone with an HP customer service rep (for the past 45minutes and counting) trying to sort out why HP's printer isn't supported by HP's TP. She's got me on hold while she tries to find an answer.

But get this, she didn't even know what a TouchPad was!!! She had never heard of it before. She kept saying, "Oh, you mean you the iPad? Well, you need to use AirPrint with that..."

---

Well, I'm off the phone now. No dice on the printer. Firmware updates did nothing to fix the issue. The printer is simply not "supported". I don't know how that could be though. I shouldn't have to go with an HP ePrint model just to get it to print from my TP.

Now in addition to the printer return, I've got to send back a replacement toner cartridge I ordered from Newegg earlier today in anticipation of being able to use this piece of crap!
    How did you add this printer? Did it auto-find it, or did you add the address manually? I have no idea if that makes a difference, but I think I remember one poster saying a printer worked when added manually but not when auto-found. Have you tried both ways?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post

But get this, she didn't even know what a TouchPad was!!! She had never heard of it before. She kept saying, "Oh, you mean you the iPad? Well, you need to use AirPrint with that..."

last time i called hp 'customer support' i got an outsourced person from india. needless to say, customer support was pretty lacking.

ps. did you try this yet? http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3155288

maybe it'll work for you
    Did you set up ePrint? If you can, I would get the 1606dn as the touchpad could print from multiple applications instead of send it emails to print.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    ps. did you try this yet? http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3155288

maybe it'll work for you
    No I hadn't. I may try that as a last resort. But it sounds like that option would require my desktop being powered up in order to print. Which kinda defeats the ease and effortless swiftness with which wireless printing is supposed to work.

But nonetheless, thanks for your recommendation.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    Did you set up ePrint? If you can, I would get the 1606dn as the touchpad could print from multiple applications instead of send it emails to print.
    ePrint is not supported with this model (P1102w) printer.

I might just go with that P1606dn. HP's got it on sale for $50 off right now. Sounds like it prints via WiFi like the P1102w does. And even though I haven't tried ePrint, I much prefer my stuff being sent directly to the printer via WiFi than the idea of via an "email" to the printer. I'm sur it works and all, but that just seems bass-ackwards to me.

Thanks
    Did you not think to ask or check for yourself wether it was compatible before you bought it?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I would try a wired connection to your new printer an then see if the TouchPad will discover and configure the printer.

I have an Officejet 7000 and the TouchPad set this up with no intervention from me.

The difference may be because the Officejet 7000 has a wired connection to my router.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    If you can, I would get the 1606dn as the touchpad could print from multiple applications instead of send it emails to print.
    Do you have this printer? From every product spec I've read on it, it doesn't seem to support WiFi printing - only ethernet. Guess I'll need to talk to a rep.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
    I would try a wired connection to your new printer an then see if the TouchPad will discover and configure the printer.
    You mean a wired connection between the printer and my PC? Because the printer does work wirelessly from the PC. And the TP does recognize the printer. (correct IP address and all). It simply says (when time to print) "This device is currently not supported"
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/08/2011 at 07:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    HP's website seems to indicate that the P1102w requires a firmware update in order to do any wireless printing. Have you done the firmware update? Also I have seen remarks that the TouchPad will only print to printers that support PCL and I believe that the P1102w does not support PCL.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
  12.    #12  
    It must have everything to do with that PCL then. Because the firmware update was the first thing the rep had me do last night.

It did, however, print wirelessly from my PC prior to the firmware update.
    As of September 20, 2011, the HP P1102W had been updated with new firmware that allows e-print capability, and is apparently working as a printer compatible with the Touchpad. This model, as well as its colour counterpart, the CP1025NW now have similar e-print capability. I read on other forums (!) that these printers now work, but have not tried it myself.

Link: HP LaserJet Firmware Update Utility HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer - HP Customer Care (Canada - English)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by skouly View Post
    As of September 20, 2011, the HP P1102W had been updated with new firmware that allows e-print capability, and is apparently working as a printer compatible with the Touchpad....
    Link: HP LaserJet Firmware Update Utility HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer - HP Customer Care (Canada - English)

Sounds great. Even though I installed (what I was lead to beleive was) the latest firmware update just last night, I will try this one the moment I get home tonight. Hopefully it does the trick.

Question though: Do I need to have this "ePrint" installed on my TP? Isn't that the conduit that esentially converts all print jobs into email sent to the printer?
    Not sure if the LaserJet was a requirement or just something you decided to pickup but I have the OJ 8500A Plus and printing from my touchpad works flawlessly. I can print from another room and within seconds I hear it printing
    Just curious do the hp printers require you to hardwire to the LAN (router) so you can print from a Tp or can you use a wireless hp printer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmark27 View Post
    Not sure if the LaserJet was a requirement or just something you decided to pickup but I have the OJ 8500A Plus and printing from my touchpad works flawlessly. I can print from another room and within seconds I hear it printing
    Yeah, a LaserJet was definately a requirement. I've had inkjets for years (started out with a dot matrix back in the day - something you young-bloods don't know anything about, haha). But even with the advancements on inkjet technology, laserjets still have the definitive edge when it comes to crispness and professional look. After a while one gets tired of waiting until one gets back to the office the next day just in order to print something out on their laserjet instead of one's own pedestrian-looking, home inkjet.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by battscrew1 View Post
    Just curious do the hp printers require you to hardwire to the LAN (router) so you can print from a Tp or can you use a wireless hp printer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can't speak for them all - I'm sure it is not brand-dependent. But the P1102w does not require any hard connection to the router. Just a one-time USB connection to the desktop while going through about 3 minutes of setup. Then you disconnect the USB forevermore.
    The Touchpad is designed to be able to print to e-print capable printers, so you don't have to do anything to the Touchpad. The HP P1102W and CP1025NW were originally spec'ed and designed to be e-print capable, but only with a "future" firmware update as all they had originally was a host-based system (requiring a computer to have actual drivers installed on it). Now, with the recent e-print firmware update, the printers themselves have been updated to allow them to receive the e-print command and print out webpages and e-mail from the Touchpad. If you read the details on the firmware link fix I marked above, it explains that the printer has some limited PCL5 ability, which is also a requirement to print to a printer: Must be a networked printer with PCL5 (or PCL6 as PCL6 is PCL5 backward compatible), or have e-print capability and released in the last 5 years.

Quote from HP: ePrint

"Print directly from your TouchPad, from anywhere with an internet Internet connection. Just send an email to any select HP printer's email address to print your work from the coffee shop across the street, or across the country.6 TouchPad brings the full power of HP's printing over Wi-Fi capabilities to your fingertips. TouchPad can print to wireless enabled HP printers on a local Wi-Fi network or you can print to any ePrint enabled printer anywhere."
  20.    #20  
    Thanks, skouly.

In that case, this should be fixed after the firmware update you linked.

What baffles me though (and I won't know the answer to this until I get back home this evening) is why didn't the firmware update I installed last night (which was clearly the latest one) establish this ePrint capability?

Won't my TP automatically go into ePrint mode when it is sending to an ePrint enabled printer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast