1.    #1  
    in my old place I had fios and had no problems with wifi. The new place is time warner and I need to get a wifi router. I know that people have had problems getting their TP to work well with certain brands. So, what should I avoid? And what should I try to get? I'm only going to be here for a year, so the cheaper the better. I'm back to fios next year. Thanks for the help
    I have a cisco Linksys e3000 and it works fine. I also have a dlink DI-524 and touchpad (and pre, pre plus, veer and Pre 3) have no problems connecting to it.
    long time ago i was an avid netgear then dlink fan, nowadays tho ive used Draytek models for wired and wireless as they had way more options to play with and ended up more reliable than my dlink/netgear variants.

currently have a DrayTek Vigor2710n, i did have to downgrade my firmware to 3.3.5.1 as 2 family members LG android phones couldnt stay on the wireless for some unknown reason on the newer firmware and dual channel issues, downgraded, turned off dual channel and their phones r fine, my touchpad was fine either way tho.
    I have had absolutely no problems with my linksys router, and I am on Time Warner Cable (Roadrunner rather) as well.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I have a Cisco Linksys E1000 and it works perfectly with my TP. Not a single problem to date.
    I have a Netgear WNDR3300 refurb that's been good to me for the last 3 years or so. You can still find a refurb. Not recommended to be used with stock firmware but with DD-WRT. If cost matters and you need an N router for $30-40, this is a great deal. It's dual SIMULTANEOUS band (but b/g is only at 2.4ghz) and no gigabit ethernet but for the price, it's been good for me with performance and reliability after flashing to DD-WRT.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    hopefully you can wait a 1 1/2 months... because with xmas coming up they will be much cheaper...
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I have a cisco Linksys e3000 and it works fine. I also have a dlink DI-524 and touchpad (and pre, pre plus, veer and Pre 3) have no problems connecting to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xsever View Post
    I have a Cisco Linksys E1000 and it works perfectly with my TP. Not a single problem to date.
    I have both of these which I bought refurbished at the Cisco/Linksys Outlet. They were in great shape and have worked fine. Note that I have heard of some folks reporting getting refurbed Cisco routers that were all scratched up and didn't work right but my luck has been good and there is a 90 day warranty if problems occur. I use the E3000 as my primary and the E1000 was a WDS extension router to add Ethernet ports to a part of the house that didn't have any. I run Tomato firmware which allows this and many other cool features and is supported on both of these models. The Cisco outlet store frequently runs specials for less $ which are usually posted on slickdeals.net.
    Linksys E3200 here... And it's AWESOME.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I've used almost a dozen of different routers for last 7 or 8 years. The best I had was DLink DIR-825 with DD-WRT, but it's quite pricey. Any gamer's router that DD-WRTable will be just fine, the key word here being "DD-WRT" firmware. Now I use a $29.99 Fry's FR300 rebrand which I succeeded to put DD-WRT on (procedure is described in my blog, some older post). Works like a charm, booted it and forgot: ask any DD-WRT user. Tomato might be good too. That is, if there's no ports of DD-WRT for your router developed yet.
    The truth is that most routers work fine. There are a handful of "problem routers" out there that have various problems. The only problem router I have owned was a refurbished Netgear WNR2000, which would constantly drop WiFi connections. However that doesn't mean you should avoid Netgear, just that particular router. The best wireless router I've ever used was a Netgear SRXN3205.

I'd just head on over to Newegg, sort wireless routers by average review, and pick one that seems like a good deal.

Looks like the current best bet is a Rosewill (Newegg's house brand) for $30:

Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-N150RT IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE802.11n Draft 2 Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates 1 x 10/100M WAN&#59; 4 x 10/100 LAN

Has a 5-star average review with 66 reviews, and reviews state that WDS can be added with a firmware update.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    The rosewill looks like a good choice. Doesn't have Gb LAN ports, support 300Mbps, or run any 3rd party firmware if that matters to you. But very good reviews and good price. Personally I'll have to stick with the stuff I'm more familiar with that runs the firmware I am used to but that's me.