webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > 4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
Like Tree77Likes

Old 10/05/2011, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

I thought I'd start a thread for us 4G TouchPad owners. We need a repository for tips and tricks, nuances of living a 4G TP life, and what its like having a real SIM stuck in your slot. It's lonely on the forum when you're riding a Unicorn.

I'll start it up in my next post.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Question: How do I get my 4G TP to SMS without pairing to a phone?

The SIM is right out of my Pre3 and has full voice and data plan associated with it.
Old 10/05/2011, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

I hope you really have a sim slot, but I thought that slot, which we all have, was not functional accept to contain some serial number on it?
Old 10/05/2011, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Why not put this thread in tips and tricks?
prim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

The slim slot is real. On the pic below notice the signal strength bars and the AT&T Communications App.

Liked by nkvarma80 likes this.
Old 10/05/2011, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Any one know how many 3/4G model units were released?

Can't be that many!

Well done.. NICE score!

Anyway, I'm just jealous really.. so I'll get outta your way now!

Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Congratulations on your "score". Does it have a GPS or A-GPS? Having an integrated GPS is my most-missed feature and the only reason I would "upgrade" if one were to be available. For everything else, the wifi is fine. I have a MiFi 2372 wifi hotspot that works just fine for me on the road.
TheDewWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

MODs can you make this thread sticky? Please?

Twack
Old 10/05/2011, 12:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wanna play with one of those.......

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by twack likes this.
Old 10/05/2011, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

iHeart App does not work. It too is searching for WiFi signal. I'll be looking to find a work around.

Update: I should read the friggin screen. While it does show a dialog with a "no data connection" error. There was a button to "continue" anyway. Hmmm, intuitive? Maybe not, but hey, it works. Now onto splashtop.

Last edited by twack; 10/05/2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10/05/2011, 05:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twack View Post
The slim slot is real. On the pic below notice the signal strength bars and the AT&T Communications App.

Click to view quoted image
i have a US 32GB version with the 'sim slot' (just serial number tab?) is there any actual Sim card reading hardware located in there, just not accessible? Or is it just a plastic tab and that's it?
TouchPadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 05:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

The actual dummy sim card slot is on the other side of the TP. They all have a unit info pull tab, which is what you are seeing. No there is no hardware inside. There is a tear-down walk-through somewhere in the internet. I suggest a good google search will help you see how it's made.

twack
Thanked By: TouchPadFan
Old 10/05/2011, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

The webOS doctor is up (and has been up since last week), courtesy of Rod Whitby (thanks again for all you do!). So, patch away at your pleasure (i.e., knowing that you have back up of webOS doctor).

And, yes, GPS on it is awesome (makes up for Bing Maps), and it works with iPad unlimited microSIM data card (needs an adapter), and its cellular radio is FAST (8Mbps down; 2.1Mbps up - via speedtest.net). This is a true beast of a tablet.
sd_matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
iHeart App does not work. It too is searching for WiFi signal. I'll be looking to find a work around.
I heart app requires wifi too, just like splashtop. Write to the folks at iheartradio.com tech support please.

for now does the workaround you came up to make splashtop work?
P.S. I love my TP 4G's, all three of them. Too bad two are going to other people "IF" I can somehow get them unlocked.

P.S. #2 The SIM card slots are real. Instead of the placeholders that come on the wifi models with serial numbers on the bottom side, these ones actually have space to insert a SIM card.

This should prove the TouchPad 4G actually exists (Actual Craigslist post):

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tp4g.jpg (120.1 KB, 3410 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/05/2011 at 06:52 PM.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
The webOS doctor is up (and has been up since last week), courtesy of Rod Whitby (thanks again for all you do!). So, patch away at your pleasure (i.e., knowing that you have back up of webOS doctor).

And, yes, GPS on it is awesome (makes up for Bing Maps), and it works with iPad unlimited microSIM data card (needs an adapter), and its cellular radio is FAST (8Mbps down; 2.1Mbps up - via speedtest.net). This is a true beast of a tablet.
Yeah, 3.0.2 Doctor Rocks -Thanks Rod!!!

I've pulled the Dr apart and comparing to the Pre3 Dr nuts and bolts. I have gotten "Mobile HotSpot" ported over and running on the TP now. I need to add a back button since I gave it the Enyo UI (no swipe back). So now you can tether** to all that speed using HotSpot or freetether which I have found to be somewhat finicky.

(** see you're mobile broadband provider for details).
Liked by wilburjoe likes this.
Thanked By: sd_matto
Old 10/05/2011, 06:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
I heart app requires wifi too, just like splashtop. Write to the folks at iheartradio.com tech support please.

for now does the workaround you came up with for splachtop work?

P.S. I love my TP 4G's, all three of them. Too bad two are going to other people "IF" I can somehow get them unlocked.
Using freetether from Veer to TP and TP back to Veer, makes TP see a WiFi signal which makes splashing and iHeart work. I have found the code which is the culprit and will patch and test tonight.

Last edited by twack; 10/05/2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10/05/2011, 06:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, 3.0.2 Doctor Rocks -Thanks Rod!!!

I've pulled the Dr apart and comparing to the Pre3 Dr nuts and bolts. I have gotten "Mobile HotSpot" ported over and running on the TP now. I need to add a back button since I gave it the Enyo UI (no swipe back). So now you can tether** to all that speed using HotSpot or freetether which I have found to be somewhat finicky.

(** see you're mobile broadband provider for details).
Watch out with MHS. There's code in there to help carriers bust you for tethering. I prefer freetether. Just use freetether on your Pre 3 to get the HSPA+ "speed bump" for tethering. WiFi tethering on drugs!
Old 10/05/2011, 07:08 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Question: How do I get my 4G TP to SMS without pairing to a phone?

The SIM is right out of my Pre3 and has full voice and data plan associated with it.
Use impostah to view the device profile. there are settings in there to prevent the phone app from making direct calls, and the IM app from making direct sms text messages. I think the apps need to be patched . Voice may be dependent on the hw PCI express data card's capabilities, SMS should not have any HW restrictions, I'll need to look at it. It's an Ericsson data card. I can handle any hw mods, but Rod and company will need to look for a way to patch the software pieces.

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/05/2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10/05/2011, 07:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
Watch out with MHS. There's code in there to help carriers bust you for tethering. I prefer freetether. Just use freetether on your Pre 3 to get the HSPA+ "speed bump" for tethering. WiFi tethering on drugs!
I have tethering plan on TP but not Veer. So I turn data off on veer, and tether back my own signal.
Old 10/05/2011, 10:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDewWorm View Post
Congratulations on your "score". Does it have a GPS or A-GPS? Having an integrated GPS is my most-missed feature and the only reason I would "upgrade" if one were to be available. For everything else, the wifi is fine. I have a MiFi 2372 wifi hotspot that works just fine for me on the road.
Yes, Touchpad 4G has built In GPS. Most embedded 3G/4G cards now a days have GPS built in.

Touchpad 4G uses an Ericsson F5521GW HSPA+ capable UMTS PCI Express card with GPS
I am checking to see if this model has voice capability built in, stay tuned.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tp4g_pci_express_modem.jpg (24.8 KB, 3209 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/06/2011 at 12:47 PM.
Liked by smisy2k likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0