webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   HP TouchPad (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/)
-   -   4G TouchPad Owners Lounge (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-touchpad/302420-4g-touchpad-owners-lounge.html)

twack 10/05/2011 09:38 AM

4G TouchPad Owners Lounge

I thought I'd start a thread for us 4G TouchPad owners. We need a repository for tips and tricks, nuances of living a 4G TP life, and what its like having a real SIM stuck in your slot. It's lonely on the forum when you're riding a Unicorn. :D

I'll start it up in my next post.

twack 10/05/2011 09:40 AM

Question: How do I get my 4G TP to SMS without pairing to a phone?

The SIM is right out of my Pre3 and has full voice and data plan associated with it.

jdod 10/05/2011 09:47 AM

I hope you really have a sim slot, but I thought that slot, which we all have, was not functional accept to contain some serial number on it?

prim8 10/05/2011 09:49 AM

Why not put this thread in tips and tricks?

twack 10/05/2011 09:51 AM

The slim slot is real. On the pic below notice the signal strength bars and the AT&T Communications App.

[IMG]http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/twackford/Unknown_2011-05-10_074747.png[/IMG]

Mutoidi 10/05/2011 10:04 AM

Any one know how many 3/4G model units were released?

Can't be that many!

Well done.. NICE score! :)

Anyway, I'm just jealous really.. so I'll get outta your way now!

:)

TheDewWorm 10/05/2011 10:14 AM

Congratulations on your "score". Does it have a GPS or A-GPS? Having an integrated GPS is my most-missed feature and the only reason I would "upgrade" if one were to be available. For everything else, the wifi is fine. I have a MiFi 2372 wifi hotspot that works just fine for me on the road.

twack 10/05/2011 12:14 PM

MODs can you make this thread sticky? Please?

Twack

Daughain 10/05/2011 12:21 PM

I wanna play with one of those.......

[color=#999999]-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities[/color]

twack 10/05/2011 04:53 PM

iHeart App does not work. It too is searching for WiFi signal. I'll be looking to find a work around.

Update: I should read the friggin screen. While it does show a dialog with a "no data connection" error. There was a button to "continue" anyway. Hmmm, intuitive? Maybe not, but hey, it works. Now onto splashtop.

TouchPadFan 10/05/2011 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=twack;3193683]The slim slot is real. On the pic below notice the signal strength bars and the AT&T Communications App.

[URL=http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee387/twackford/Unknown_2011-05-10_074747.png]Click to view quoted image[/URL][/QUOTE]
i have a US 32GB version with the 'sim slot' (just serial number tab?) is there any actual Sim card reading hardware located in there, just not accessible? Or is it just a plastic tab and that's it?

twack 10/05/2011 05:56 PM

The actual dummy sim card slot is on the other side of the TP. They all have a unit info pull tab, which is what you are seeing. No there is no hardware inside. There is a tear-down walk-through somewhere in the internet. I suggest a good google search will help you see how it's made.

twack

sd_matto 10/05/2011 06:17 PM

The webOS doctor is up (and has been up since last week), courtesy of Rod Whitby (thanks again for all you do!). So, patch away at your pleasure (i.e., knowing that you have back up of webOS doctor).

And, yes, GPS on it is awesome (makes up for Bing Maps), and it works with iPad unlimited microSIM data card (needs an adapter), and its cellular radio is FAST (8Mbps down; 2.1Mbps up - via speedtest.net). This is a true beast of a tablet.

TopTongueBarry 10/05/2011 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=twack;3194324]iHeart App does not work. It too is searching for WiFi signal. I'll be looking to find a work around.[/QUOTE]

I heart app requires wifi too, just like splashtop. Write to the folks at iheartradio.com tech support please.

for now does the workaround you came up to make splashtop work?
[B]P.S. I love my TP 4G's, all three of them.[/B] Too bad two are going to other people "IF" I can somehow get them unlocked.

P.S. #2 The SIM card slots are real. Instead of the placeholders that come on the wifi models with serial numbers on the bottom side, these ones actually have space to insert a SIM card.

[B]This should prove the TouchPad 4G actually exists (Actual Craigslist post):[/B]

[IMG]http://forums.precentral.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=61283&stc=1&d=1317858414[/IMG]

twack 10/05/2011 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=sd_matto;3194439]The webOS doctor is up (and has been up since last week), courtesy of Rod Whitby (thanks again for all you do!). So, patch away at your pleasure (i.e., knowing that you have back up of webOS doctor).

And, yes, GPS on it is awesome (makes up for Bing Maps), and it works with iPad unlimited microSIM data card (needs an adapter), and its cellular radio is FAST (8Mbps down; 2.1Mbps up - via speedtest.net). This is a true beast of a tablet.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 3.0.2 Doctor Rocks -Thanks Rod!!!

I've pulled the Dr apart and comparing to the Pre3 Dr nuts and bolts. I have gotten "Mobile HotSpot" ported over and running on the TP now. I need to add a back button since I gave it the Enyo UI (no swipe back). So now you can tether** to all that speed using HotSpot or freetether which I have found to be somewhat finicky.

(** see you're mobile broadband provider for details).

twack 10/05/2011 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=TopTongueBarry;3194457]I heart app requires wifi too, just like splashtop. Write to the folks at iheartradio.com tech support please.

for now does the workaround you came up with for splachtop work?

[B]P.S. I love my TP 4G's, all three of them.[/B] Too bad two are going to other people "IF" I can somehow get them unlocked.[/QUOTE]

Using freetether from Veer to TP and TP back to Veer, makes TP see a WiFi signal which makes splashing and iHeart work. I have found the code which is the culprit and will patch and test tonight.

TopTongueBarry 10/05/2011 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=twack;3194465]Yeah, 3.0.2 Doctor Rocks -Thanks Rod!!!

I've pulled the Dr apart and comparing to the Pre3 Dr nuts and bolts. I have gotten "Mobile HotSpot" ported over and running on the TP now. I need to add a back button since I gave it the Enyo UI (no swipe back). So now you can tether** to all that speed using HotSpot or freetether which I have found to be somewhat finicky.

(** see you're mobile broadband provider for details).[/QUOTE]

Watch out with MHS. There's code in there to help carriers bust you for tethering. I prefer freetether. Just use freetether on your Pre 3 to get the HSPA+ "speed bump" for tethering. WiFi tethering on drugs!

TopTongueBarry 10/05/2011 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=twack;3193664]Question: How do I get my 4G TP to SMS without pairing to a phone?

The SIM is right out of my Pre3 and has full voice and data plan associated with it.[/QUOTE]

Use impostah to view the device profile. there are settings in there to prevent the phone app from making direct calls, and the IM app from making direct sms text messages. I think the apps need to be patched . Voice may be dependent on the hw PCI express data card's capabilities, SMS should not have any HW restrictions, I'll need to look at it. It's an Ericsson data card. I can handle any hw mods, but Rod and company will need to look for a way to patch the software pieces.

twack 10/05/2011 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=TopTongueBarry;3194506]Watch out with MHS. There's code in there to help carriers bust you for tethering. I prefer freetether. Just use freetether on your Pre 3 to get the HSPA+ "speed bump" for tethering. WiFi tethering on drugs![/QUOTE]

I have tethering plan on TP but not Veer. So I turn data off on veer, and tether back my own signal.

TopTongueBarry 10/05/2011 10:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=TheDewWorm;3193717]Congratulations on your "score". Does it have a GPS or A-GPS? Having an integrated GPS is my most-missed feature and the only reason I would "upgrade" if one were to be available. For everything else, the wifi is fine. I have a MiFi 2372 wifi hotspot that works just fine for me on the road.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Touchpad 4G has built In GPS. Most embedded 3G/4G cards now a days have GPS built in.

[B]Touchpad 4G uses an Ericsson F5521GW HSPA+ capable UMTS PCI Express card with GPS[/B]
I am checking to see if this model has voice capability built in, stay tuned.

[IMG]http://forums.precentral.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=61289&stc=1&d=1317870066[/IMG]