webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > 4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
Like Tree77Likes

Old 10/19/2011, 09:48 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Case rested.

-- Rod
cant rest a case until there is a verdict
Old 10/19/2011, 10:40 PM   #102 (permalink)

Just got my TP 4G. Sold my 32 GB WiFi to a friend for what I paid, so it's great to have the upgrade. A real GPS will be great.

I will be installing Preware and trying out the Debian chroot and CM7 alpha2. Any comments about it being different than it was on my WiFi model?
amenditman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 11:09 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecl View Post
Not sure if all you have seen, but T-Mobile just released daily prepaid plans here:

Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

I purchased a SIM today verify it works. As previously posted by another member, it works but have only seen Edge so far.

Checking the stats on the TP 4G radio posted earlier and the T-Mo 4G frequency, it looks like there's an overlap at 2100MHz.

Any idea how to get it to work at 4G speeds on T-Mo? That'd be pretty rockin'...
So no ideas on how to get 4G speeds working for T-Mobile?
ilikecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Liam_Kelly likes this.
Old 10/19/2011, 11:12 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
OK, willing to do that. So how do we do it?
Just go to the service and support page here: Palm Support : TouchPad (Wi-Fi) - and use the live chat link at the bottom
MrBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 12:41 PM   #105 (permalink)

I had a WiFi 32gb model that had a overheat problem which melted the case behind the left speaker. HP was concerned enough to have a customer relations person call me and give me a direct phone number. She was super and very helpful. They sent me a replacement with overnight shipping the day they received my touchpad. They paid all costs. To my surprise the replacement was a new in box ATT 4g 1.5gz 32gb model. I had some concerns and the customer relations person had a tech person call me. He said they wanted to make things right and since they do not have any new WiFi 32gb models left, only refurbished models, they sent me the ATT 4g model. I asked him about the 3.0.4 upgrade and he said that they could not talk about anything they are working on. My impression is that an ATT 4g upgrade will come, but since there are not many of these out there that the support could wane. I did fill out the customer feedback survey and said that since they are using this model as replacements that they should continue to support this model like the WiFi only models.
cjf243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 12:48 PM   #106 (permalink)

My ATT 4g came with 3.0.1 on and I had no problem doing the OTA update to 3.0.2
Old 10/20/2011, 01:39 PM   #107 (permalink)

I opened a ticket for splashtop and I got reply from the as follows

Ch***

Dear ****:

Thanks for your kind feedback!

Yes, we confirm that Splashtop Remote connection is currently through wifi only and not on 3G/4G.

We are working on resolving this issue right now and we schedule to add 3G/4G support in November's update release.

Apologies for the inconveniences caused and thanks again for your continuing support for Splashtop Remote!

Best regards,

Splashtop Support Team
filjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 01:41 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecl View Post
So no ideas on how to get 4G speeds working for T-Mobile?
It's not likely that this will be possible, as per my understanding it's much more difficult than a firmware update to change the modem's current HSPA bands to use the T-Mobile AWS HSPA bands.
mocarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 02:02 PM   #109 (permalink)

I opened a ticket for this a few weeks ago. Here was their response:

Quote:
Sorry for long delay in getting back to you and thanks for your feedback of Splashtop Remote!

With regard to your issue, due to our lack of experiences on 4G testing, we're still trying to reproduce the same error and investigate the root cause. Also, perhaps we will need your help to check something for clarifying the cause. Please kindly understand our situation and we'll appreciate your support!

From the error message you attached, it seems like the Touchpad does not obtain an IP address successfully. Just to clarify, could you double confirm the 4G network is workable under the condition? Also, how about the connection if it is via Wi-Fi ?

Thank you for your help!
While waiting for a response I tinkered with thier code and found the problem. It specifically looks for a Wifi internet connection. I changed it to just check for internet connection, regardless of the kind and it worked. I sent them the edited code and have not heard back. I sent it on the 12th.

4G users are probably not a priority since there are so few of us.

Twack
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SunnyPhono likes this.
Thanked by 9orynych, SunnyPhono
Old 10/20/2011, 04:20 PM   #110 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocarey View Post
It's not likely that this will be possible, as per my understanding it's much more difficult than a firmware update to change the modem's current HSPA bands to use the T-Mobile AWS HSPA bands.
Ah well, figured as much. $3 Unlimited data on a pay-per-day usage just seems so much more attractive than 2GB/month at $25...
ilikecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/20/2011, 11:24 PM   #111 (permalink)

One thing that I did not appreciate until earlier today (in view of my ATT locked TouchPad 4Gs):

How, pray tell, did you get that TP 4G of yours SIM-unlocked, Rod? Does anyone know of an unlock solution?

Thanks in advance for any info. From anyone (Rod included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
Screenshot of AT&T TouchPad 3.5G on T-Mobile (EDGE data):

Click to view quoted image

-- Rod
sd_matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2011, 03:39 AM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBuffet View Post
yeah -- same problem here -- backup/restore does not work, and most of the apps in the HP app Catalog are missing.

I imagine this can be fixed with Impostah, but I just don't know enough about the profile settings yet, to understand what to tinker with...

did the new app cat update fix your issues with the app cat?
Old 10/21/2011, 09:35 AM   #113 (permalink)

I've looked at the updates for 3.0.4 and there is no reason for me to go to 3.0.4 yet. Anyone else see a reason?

I just downloaded the SDK and will pick it apart tonight. I'm curious to do a diff on the browser.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|

Last edited by twack; 10/21/2011 at 09:43 AM.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2011, 09:52 AM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twack View Post
I've looked at the updates for 3.0.4 and there is no reason for me to go to 3.0.4 yet. Anyone else see a reason?

I just downloaded the SDK and will pick it apart tonight. I'm curious to do a diff on the browser.
Yeah, i actually would like to have the updates to the video and audio parts, as I found that the new 3.0.4 is much, much better in terms of format compatibility, and it handles bigger files with ease.

I also like the fact the screen is less nervous, and the autocorrect less demented
Old 10/21/2011, 01:25 PM   #115 (permalink)

Just got my 4G Touchpad, failed to login to my webOS account a couple times and had me a little concerned, but it's working now.

Has patching been successful for the rest of you? I haven't put preware or anything on it yet (but considering my PandaPad has ubuntu Chroot and my 32gb wifi has cm7 it is only a matter of time before i start messing with it). . . .

OMG am I _ON_TOPIC_! That was so challenging... it's like I know how to read or something. . .wild. . .

Anyone have any idea how many of these things are floating around? We should form a herd of unicorns. . .
HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
SunnyPhono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2011, 03:27 PM   #116 (permalink)

Does anyone know if the 3.04 update for the TP 4G now shows the proper version in its profile?
I'm waiting till HP fixes that before I update.
Old 10/21/2011, 04:24 PM   #117 (permalink)

Updated TP 4G to the new software 3.0.4 but now my phone (Veer 2.1.2) cannot be setup to the same profile at the same time - anyone have this happening?
alandashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2011, 06:51 PM   #118 (permalink)

maybe off topic but I wonder how everyone was able to get a 4G TP? Is it just by chance that one of the 32GB unit shipped has 4G capability or it's from a specific vendor? Thanks.
tokyodocomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/21/2011, 11:11 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
Does anyone know if the 3.04 update for the TP 4G now shows the proper version in its profile?
I'm waiting till HP fixes that before I update.
I talked to HP both yesterday and today, and they are totally aware that the doctor they released (they agree it is on their server, though they say it is not officially released) is causing problems with the profiles.

as of today they are poised to fix it, however due to the small numbers of 4G TP's in the market, other issues with the 3.0.4 WiFi version is getting higher priority.

In the meantime I have been asked to stay on 3.0.2, as they are promising a real OTA of 3.0.4 for the 4G TP's (which to my ears sounds like a acknowledgement of the fact that they have to support these babies).

now if we could only get some of the community developers or maybe even some of the moderator to push through their channels...
Liked by TopTongueBarry likes this.
Old 10/22/2011, 01:16 AM   #120 (permalink)

actually i am planning to use it india

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
I assume you are in Australia, and want to know about 3G. The reason I was happy to get a US TP was because Telstra uses 900 in the city, as it has a deal with Hutchinson (now part of Vodafone Hutchinson) and 850 everywhere.

For some reason Telstra does what the US does, where Optus/Virgin and Vodafail follow the Europeans.

So, my UK Pre 3 works with 3G in the city, but not in the country. This week my US Pre3 should arrive, and I'm expecting it to work everywhere.

BTW, Telstra also implemented the same version of "4G" as AT&T.

lastly, just to head off any more questions, I got a generic tablet prepaid SIM for Telstra today. Unfortunately they only had microSIMs and I couldn't get a converter. Never mind, I hacked the AT&T SIM that came with the TP, and put the microSIM inside it (Thanks Gizmodo for the idea), and it worked just fine!

Siobhan
vivekjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0