webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > 4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
Like Tree77Likes

Old 10/19/2011, 10:00 AM   #81 (permalink)

and AFAIK it has been up and active since yesterday...try this ...

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...04hstnhatt.jar

have not tried it yet, but the .jar seems legit...

Last edited by MrBuffet; 10/19/2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling...
MrBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sd_matto
Old 10/19/2011, 10:37 AM   #82 (permalink)

it download as a .zip, but if you just rename it into a .jar file everything works out fine.

I just doctored mine, using these instructions;

1. Back up your HP webOS Account data. Open Backup . Then tap Back up now.

2. Connect the USB cable to the AC charger, and plug the AC charger into a working outlet. Do not connect it to your device yet.

3. Open Device Info .

4. Tap Reset Options, and then tap Shut Down.

5. Press and hold the volume up button.

6. Now connect the USB cable to the device while still holding the volume up button.

7. Release the volume up button when the large USB icon appears.

Now your device is in USB Update mode.

Everything seems to be correct, though it took *forever* to boot the first time, this seems to be because I did not have a activated SIM card in it, and I had to wait until it timed out and allowed me to select Wi-Fi at which point it continued the setup.

I then had to do all the profile stuff again, and oddly enough it refused to restore my data, but that might just be a glitch.

anyway -- I'm now staring at a webos 3.0.4 in the device info, and the new camara app is there, as is the AT&T communication manager, so everything seems to be legit
Old 10/19/2011, 10:41 AM   #83 (permalink)

Awesome and thanks.

Updating one of my TP 4Gs now. For the other one, . . . does Palm profile backup save your Angry Birds high scores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBuffet View Post
and AFAIK it has been up and active since yesterday...try this ...

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...04hstnhatt.jar

have not tried it yet, but the .jar seems legit...
sd_matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 11:13 AM   #84 (permalink)

Having HP market access issues with the TP 4G that I updated to the posted 3.0.4.

Also, when I check on my profile, it shows the OS version to be 9.9.9.

Thoughts, anyone?
sd_matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 11:16 AM   #85 (permalink)

yeah -- same problem here -- backup/restore does not work, and most of the apps in the HP app Catalog are missing.

I imagine this can be fixed with Impostah, but I just don't know enough about the profile settings yet, to understand what to tinker with...
Old 10/19/2011, 11:56 AM   #86 (permalink)

I have logged a bug with support (and yes I got a case number), the case is being refered to engineering, who apparently was aware of the issue and is fixing it -- the nice thing here is that HP's stance on the 4G TP, is that it is an official product, with serial numbers etc. etc. hence it is supported, which frankly is really excellent considering how few 4G TP's are out there.

the short of the long with support though is that we should keep out 4G TP's at 3.0.2-74 until the OTA comes through. They did not provide an ETA on the OTA for 4G TP, but my impression was that they are working on it.

Last edited by MrBuffet; 10/19/2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: wrong version mentioned
Old 10/19/2011, 08:31 PM   #87 (permalink)

Update: just talked to a developer, and it seems like that this bug is not a high priority, as there are so few 4G TP's in the wild.

he suggested in a round-about kind of way that if others logged similar bugs, then it would likely get higher attention, so please feel free to pile on
Old 10/19/2011, 08:39 PM   #88 (permalink)

Not sure if all you have seen, but T-Mobile just released daily prepaid plans here:

Prepaid Plans | Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | Prepaid Data Plans | T-Mobile

I purchased a SIM today verify it works. As previously posted by another member, it works but have only seen Edge so far.

Checking the stats on the TP 4G radio posted earlier and the T-Mo 4G frequency, it looks like there's an overlap at 2100MHz.

Any idea how to get it to work at 4G speeds on T-Mo? That'd be pretty rockin'...
ilikecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 08:56 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBuffet View Post
Update: just talked to a developer, and it seems like that this bug is not a high priority, as there are so few 4G TP's in the wild.

he suggested in a round-about kind of way that if others logged similar bugs, then it would likely get higher attention, so please feel free to pile on
OK, willing to do that. So how do we do it?
siobhanellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 09:57 PM   #90 (permalink)

whats everyones stance on "ejecting" the TP before disconnecting it via usb from the PC. i couldnt believe there were still devices that required this. its like going back in time to my XP days.
waltah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 10:02 PM   #91 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltah12 View Post
whats everyones stance on "ejecting" the TP before disconnecting it via usb from the PC. i couldnt believe there were still devices that required this. its like going back in time to my XP days.
This is the same on all TouchPads - it's not specific to the 4G TouchPad which is the subject of this thread.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 10:05 PM   #92 (permalink)

wrong thread*
Old 10/19/2011, 10:06 PM   #93 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
you can really see the missing fit/finish/polish on this OS compared to ios. I would never pay $600 for an ipad but im used to my I4 so there are a lot of quirks ive found in less than 4 hours with this device. there seem to be alot of corners cut or young ideas within the OS that seems to pop up as you doodle around everywhere. heck, there are multiple stock items that just dont seem finished at all.

that said, its a wonderful device for $150 and for what ill be using it for, i am super happy with it. I'd hang myself with the usb cord if i paid over $500 for it though. The overall package just isn't there for that type of money.

looking forward to future updates to polish out some of the issues.
Sorry, are you saying you got an AT&T 4G TouchPad for $150? If so, where? If not, you're in the wrong thread. And in either case, comparisons with other platforms is not really the point of this thread either - there are plenty of other threads in which to start those opinion wars.

-- Rod
Old 10/19/2011, 10:09 PM   #94 (permalink)

oops wrong thread. my apologies on that.

opinion war? im just sharing my thoughts. i bought the product, pretty sure i can share my opinion.

and regards to my first question...it applies to all touchpads as you said. so the question is still valid in the thread is it not?

thanks for preware, its been the best part of my TP experience so far. you should work on the attitude though.
Old 10/19/2011, 10:11 PM   #95 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
and regards to my first question...it applies to all touchpads as you said. so the question is still valid in the thread is it not?
This thread is about issues that are specific to the AT&T 4G TouchPad. Not issues or opinions which are generic to all TouchPads.

-- Rod
Old 10/19/2011, 10:16 PM   #96 (permalink)

i just purchased a 4G TP at my local ATT store just now.

i noticed it is the same as my previous gen TP in that it requires to be "ejected" via usb connection.

care to elaborate.
Old 10/19/2011, 10:32 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
i just purchased a 4G TP at my local ATT store just now.

i noticed it is the same as my previous gen TP in that it requires to be "ejected" via usb connection.

care to elaborate.
AT&T is selling two models. You have to know which one to ask for. Which model did you buy? Look for a 7 digit number, followed by a "#", followed by 3 digits.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/19/2011, 10:34 PM   #98 (permalink)

i was being a smart ***, saying that i just went out and picked up a 4G to make a point about my original question.
Old 10/19/2011, 10:45 PM   #99 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
i was being a smart ***, saying that i just went out and picked up a 4G to make a point about my original question.
Case rested.

-- Rod
Old 10/19/2011, 10:47 PM   #100 (permalink)
Developer

Getting back on topic, I've alerted some contacts in HP about the issue with the 9.9.9 on the profile server. This usually happens when the profile server has not been made aware of a new released webOS version for a particular device model.

No feedback on if or when it will be solved.

-- Rod
Thanked By: SunnyPhono

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0