Page 41 of 47 FirstFirst ... 313637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Finally joined this club and bought a 4G TP.

Just to be sure, can I activate and create a new account with my swedish SIM or would it then get locked to a non-existing swedish App Catalog like a phone would or is it 100% like a WIFI-touchpad when it comes to activation ie no worries at all?
    I'm pretty sure I activated it via WiFi. And I've activated multiple phones with the same SIM.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Postman just showed up with my 4G TP.

Sorry if im cheeky to ask for directions but what are the steps involved in geting it running and up to date?

Do I doctor it before activation, is there even a 3.05 doctor for the 4G TP?

Noticed it got a AT&T sim card installed, guess I should remove that until I get my own local sim.

If I want to make the 4G my primary Touchpad of use, could I just log in on the same webOS account as my WIFI Touchpad in order to have the apps transferred to the 4G before I wipe the WIFI TP? Could that potenionally mess things up since its different versions of the Touchpad so that I would be better off starting with a new fresh webOS account for the 4G?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Postman just showed up with my 4G TP.

Sorry if im cheeky to ask for directions but what are the steps involved in geting it running and up to date?

Do I doctor it before activation, is there even a 3.05 doctor for the 4G TP?

Noticed it got a AT&T sim card installed, guess I should remove that until I get my own local sim.

If I want to make the 4G my primary Touchpad of use, could I just log in on the same webOS account as my WIFI Touchpad in order to have the apps transferred to the 4G before I wipe the WIFI TP? Could that potenionally mess things up since its different versions of the Touchpad so that I would be better off starting with a new fresh webOS account for the 4G?
    Welcome & Congratulations!

I doctored with 3.0.5 (Tablet-AT&T-3G) from here:
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    before activating on the same Palm Profile Account as Wifi only model - yes..
    Do 'Backup' on the Wifi model to update your current account Apps & Contacts etc. then activate 4G (and auto-download those details to) 4G model on that account.

Yes, you can dispense with the AT&T SIM!

And then also install CM10 for TP4G?
    Android on 4G TouchPad

Enjoy Anyway!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/02/2013 at 05:50 AM.

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I've doctored to 3.0.4, dunno wich it was first. And I activated it with german Sim. It's in the same profile as my normal Touchpad. So I've got all my apps ;-)
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Not sure what happend with mine.

When taking it of of the box the power button touched the side of the cardboard box so it switched itself on.

After booting it ended up at the setup screen.
    It was low on battery (yellow indicator) so I turned it off since my WIFI-TP wasnt done charging yet. (Only one charger at the moment since no euro plug came with the 4G TP.)

Back home from work the WIFI TP was fully charged, so I plugged in the 4G TP to the charger. Tried starting it an hour later with no luck, its just dead, wont even display the low battery graphics. Any ideas, also tried putting it on the Touchstone without any luck?
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    You need time to charge.
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Finally started, had to press power button and home as it refused to start with just the power button. What a relief, thought I got a dead unit first.
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Welcome & Congratulations!

I doctored with 3.0.5 (Tablet-AT&T-3G) from here:
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    How come you used the WIFI doctor when there seems to be a AT&T version for 3.05 as well? Does these version differ a lot?

Edited:
    Noticed that you wrote 3.05 AT&T so I guess it was just the link to webOS Internals that happend to say "WIFI". I should use the AT&T doctor, right?

Sorry if I sound stupid, im just afraid of messing something up and tend to become too cautious.
    Last edited by Andreas; 07/03/2013 at 05:28 AM.
    How come you used the WIFI doctor when there seems to be a AT&T version for 3.05 as well? Does these version differ a lot?

Edited:
    Noticed that you wrote 3.05 AT&T so I guess it was just the link to webOS Internals that happend to say "WIFI". I should use the AT&T doctor, right?

Sorry if I sound stupid, im just afraid of messing something up and tend to become too cautious.
    You need the AT&T version indeed. I doubt that you could actually Doctor with the WiFi version, the Doctor should prevent you from doing this!

Edited:

Better safe than sorry! Yes the AT&T 3/4G Doctor versions are all there too - that link just 'starts' at the Tablet 'Wifi only' category!

I am glad your unit was not 'dead' as soon as it came out of it's box..

~~

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
    TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Omen-15-5206tx. 256Gb SSD. i7-O/C@3.39Ghz. Win10.
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Ive tried inserting the SIM-card and it will switch to the window where you enter the PIN.

However, this window is only displayed for a second and is then replaced by phone app that wants me to register a Skype account, Is this somehow mandatory to get it working or what could be wrong?
    Last edited by Andreas; 07/03/2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Ive tried inserting the SIM-card and it will switch to the window where you enter the PIN.

However, this window is only displayed for a second and is then replaced by phone app that wants me to register a Skype account, Is this somehow mandatory to get it working or what could be wrong?
    I don't think 'Skype' is yet a mandatory Micro$oft Application - At least I hope not!

When in the Phone App tap for the dropdown menu at the top left of the page, then have a look at 'Network' Settings - I don't know your Carrier details, but you may want to try 'Network Auto-Select - ON' and 'Data Usage - 'ON' and then reboot - if you are still not 'on line' and if necessary, then go to 'Manual Settings - ON' and adjust/insert any details that may be relevant to your particular Carrier.

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Ive edited this post since ive tried multiple things to get a cellular connection.

Could really need some help to figure out if my TP is still locked or not.

Ive edited the carrierdb.json so that it got the correct values for my carrier. Same settings work fine on my Pre3.

Trouble is that the Tochpad wont let me enter the PIN of my SIM-card, it displays the login screen for a fraction of second. Ive tried enter the PIN before the screen vanishes but it doesnt seem to register the screen taps either.

Using the AT&T SIM that came with the device it will get full signal before it realises its not in the US any more and reverts to "No signal / SOS only".

Could it be that my Touchpad is still locked and thats why it wont let me enter the PIN of my SIM?

It was sold as unlocked on eBay but came in a sealed, unopened package.
    Last edited by Andreas; 07/04/2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Mine also arrived in a sealed package but was already unlocked - as some 4GTPs were.
    I think if it were locked, it would also be asking for a (16 digit) UNlock number?

Have you set it to 'Developer Mode' yet?

Did you try a 'data-only' plan SIM with no active PIN-lock already on it? The 4GTP isn't really a 'Telephone' as such!
    Did you check the APN settings etc in 'Phone App'-->'Dropdown Menu'-->'Preferences & Accounts'-->'Manual Settings 'ON'-->'Edit Network Settings'-->etc?
    I suppose if you have to set up a 'Skype' Account to get there, then so be it! You can always 'unactivate' it afterwards!

Maybe try that first anyway - and if it does turn out to be locked, then there is also a member here (at post # 758) whom you could try PM'ing for some further willing 'assistance' with that.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 07/04/2013 at 07:38 PM.

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Ive been able to enter the PIN now, seems like it didnt like that the SIM itself was unlocked so I put it back in the Pre3 and locked it.

Trouble is, now that im able to enter the PIN the TP says my entered code is incorrect? So, even though I enter the correct PIN the TP says its wrong.

When I put the SIM back in the Pre3 all is well.

I will bring it to a shop of my operator and ask to try one of their SIM-cards to rule out any eventual problems with my current SIM-card.
    Ive been able to enter the PIN now, seems like it didnt like that the SIM itself was unlocked so I put it back in the Pre3 and locked it.

Trouble is, now that im able to enter the PIN the TP says my entered code is incorrect? So, even though I enter the correct PIN the TP says its wrong.

When I put the SIM back in the Pre3 all is well.

I will bring it to a shop of my operator and ask to try one of their SIM-cards to rule out any eventual problems with my current SIM-card.

OK.. it sounds as if you are making some progress now, by 'trial and error' anyway.
    Bear in mind that some changes one makes within the webOS system are not actually registered as active until after you have done a full Device Restart.

(I once accidentally locked my Wifi/modem SIM trying to set it up on-line - and took it back to my Operator who had to hack it into a phone to unlock it again!) - I never lock anything after that! Like I say: 'Trial & Error!

Here is that useful little Wifi/Radio Toggle-Widget for your TP4G anyway.. you can just turn it off then!

Attached Files Attached Files

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Ive confirmed with my operator that my SIM should work in pads as well so need for a data only SIM according to them, unless the Touchpad is somehow extra picky?

Since I cant get past the PIN security check its not even making any use of the carrier settings, its not until I log in with the PIN that it will try to connect. Gods knows why it wont accept my PIN.

If it would be carrier locked, wouldnt it tell me that as soon as I pop in a non AT&T SIM-card?
    Global Posts
    936 Global Posts
    Doctored it again and put in the SIM and was greated by this:

Im not sure if this happends because my phone-SIM with dataplan wont work in a pad (operator tells me it should) or if its because the doctored carrier database got the wrong settings for my operator.

So, set it up using WIFI and when I activated cellular it displayed a screen saying my device was carrier locked and wanted me to enter unlock code.

But just as before when I tried to enter my PIN code this login screen vanishes and instead it shows me the Phone app ie where you setup phone accounts like Skype. So, it wants me to enter the unlock code but just display that screen for a second or two so its impossible to enter anyhting.

Any idea what MEP lock stands for?
    Last edited by Andreas; 07/05/2013 at 09:22 AM.
    Any idea what MEP lock stands for?
    Mobile Equipment Personalization (MEP)

This happens when a device is locked to a provider, IE AT&T?

http://www.sierrawireless.com/resour...rrect_sim.html
    Andreas, I guess you got a sim-locked version then

You can get in touch with ceejayr here in the forum, he got a source for the SIM unlock codes. His price is quite reasonable and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $he$'$s$ $the$ $only$ $one$ $who$ $has$ $a$ $reliable$ $source$ $and$ $method$!