Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by swampbaby985 View Post
    When I contacted AT&T about getting the device set up on a wireless data plan the rep told me that because it was never officially release and that AT&T had no official documentation on it that it wouldn't be supported on the network.
    I suggest trying again with AT&T to see if you can find someone more knowlegeable. I never had a problem, nor have I heard of anyone being refused before. I even had no trouble activating an AT&T LTE wireless tablet plan for my TP 4G after I had installed a Sierra LTE card instead of the stock Ericsson HSPA+ MBM. In my case, I added these plans to my existing AT&T account.

You should be able to set up an account online using the AT&T connection manager in WebOS with the AT&T SIM installed. Alternatively, you can set "lwaactivate" as the APN (instead of "broadband") with the AT&T SIM that comes installed with the HP TouchPad 4G. If you have no plan activated, this should allow you to connect to https://buyasession.att.com/. From there you can buy a 30-day session with AT&T.

You will need to provide your IMEI which should look something like 0127 05000 123456 and your SIM number (can verify by looking on the card itself). Sometimes you will see the IMEI with an addtional two digits at the end (a version number), but leave these off when you report the IMEI to the rep. Also, they may need to leave off the leading zero. The IMEI will be recognized when the rep enters it into their system and this will determine the plan they are able to offer you (ex. 3GB/Mo for $30, etc.). With the Sierra IMEI , the only plan they would offer is a 5GB/mo with LTE support.

Hope this helps you get a wireless plan.
    I got a Sierra MC7710 from a Chinese seller, however I cannot get it to be recognized in either my TP 4G, also tried my Lenovo X220, but both don't seem to recognize it at all.

The seller tested it and says the MC7710 works fine at their end. Anyone have any suggestions on how to sort this? Could it be a firmware issue? Any logs/tests I should ask them to perform/provide to proof the module is working OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Where'd you get your SIM Card?
    My TP came with a SIM card in it. I signed in to AT&T with that card.

I did go to the store for another carrier and borrow a SIM card from them, just to see if my TP came with an unlocked modem. And it was unlocked. But their data plan was a little more expensive, so I stuck with AT&T.

Don't all the TP 4Gs come with a SIM card? My TP 4G came in what I thought was factory shrink-wrap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Any logs/tests I should ask them to perform/provide to proof the module is working OK?
    Herrie:

As far as I know the MC7710 is the same as the MC7700; however, it supports different GSM/LTE cellular bands. WebOS contains native support for the MC7700 and it should be recognized when the kernel starts up. You can see this in the kernel log (dmesg). WebOS logs are located in under /var/log/. Look for a compressed file with the name dmesg.txt.gz.

I have attached an excerpt from the WebOS dmesg log for a TP 4G with an MC7700 installed. In this log you can see the isp1763 usb hub (usb port connected to the cellular modem) get powered on and start up, as well as the sierra drivers being loaded. Later in the log you can see 'usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device using isp1763_usb and address 3' being recognized -- it is the Sierra MC7700 module. As you can see, it is started up and ports are assigned for various functions by the Sierra kernel drivers.

The Sierra kernel drivers do support both the MC7700 and MC7710. So, if your MC7710 is working right, you should see a similar sequence. Depending on various firmware settings, you may see a different set of ports being assigned.

I guess if you see the MC7710 is starting up fine, but it does not work right under WebOS, then it could be a WebOS support issue specific to the MC7710 vs the MC7700. Probably would work using my Sierra CM10 build.

When I first got my MC7700, I stuck it in a Dell laptop and it worked fine. Then I installed it in my TP 4G and WebOS recognized it right away. It connected to AT&T using the same SIM (however, the display only shows HSPA, this is a WebOS limitation).

John
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 03/06/2013 at 10:06 PM.
    Herrie:

As far as I know the MC7710 is the same as the MC7700; however, it supports different GSM/LTE cellular bands. WebOS contains native support for the MC7700 and it should be recognized when the kernel starts up. You can see this in the kernel log (dmesg). WebOS logs are located in under /var/log/. Look for a compressed file with the name dmesg.txt.gz.

I have attached an excerpt from the WebOS dmesg log for a TP 4G with an MC7700 installed. In this log you can see the isp1763 usb hub (usb port connected to the cellular modem) get powered on and start up, as well as the sierra drivers being loaded. Later in the log you can see 'usb 1-1.2: new high speed USB device using isp1763_usb and address 3' being recognized -- it is the Sierra MC7700 module. As you can see, it is started up and ports are assigned for various functions by the Sierra kernel drivers.

The Sierra kernel drivers do support both the MC7700 and MC7710. So, if your MC7710 is working right, you should see a similar sequence. Depending on various firmware settings, you may see a different set of ports being assigned.

I guess if you see the MC7710 is starting up fine, but it does not work right under WebOS, then it could be a WebOS support issue specific to the MC7710 vs the MC7700. Probably would work using my Sierra CM10 build.

When I first got my MC7700, I stuck it in a Dell laptop and it worked fine. Then I installed it in my TP 4G and WebOS recognized it right away. It connected to AT&T using the same SIM (however, the display only shows HSPA, this is a WebOS limitation).

John
    Hi John,

Thanks for the info!

Actually the MC7710 isn't recognized at all by the TP, so I say it's DOA but the seller has some BS excuse that it's my setup etc and it works at their end. I tried it in my Lenovo x220 from work too, which has the MC7710 not whitelisted in the bios and should give an error message during boot, but it doesn't get recognized there either hence my suspicion it's really DOA.

Seller claims it works and it's incompatible hardware/firmware that's the problem.... My Chinese colleague is now debating about a refund with them...

You happen to have a reliable source for getting the Sierra MC 7710 for a reasonable price?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 03/13/2013 at 06:10 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Try to put Opalumtsfw-sierra.tar into webos file of ATT 3G 3.0.5 rom. And flash the device again. Also DIY to make GPS cable to connect it on module.
    Usually Chinese seller don't know HP touchpad 3G device. But they will ask you first which brand notebood work for ?
    So I have to tell them HP notebook..I had tried three 3 erisson 3G modules and can work for touchpad.(Above one).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Seller claims it works and it's incompatible hardware/firmware that's the problem....
    You happen to have a reliable source for getting the Sierra MC 7710 for a reasonable price?
    Herrie:

Reading lemanho's post reminded me of something important!
    The MC7700/10 comes preloaded with two very different firmware setups - QMI mode and Direct IP mode. You need to have the Direct IP mode firmware for it to work in the HP TP 4G.

In the dmesg log I attached, you will see that it reported: "usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=1199, idProduct=68a3". This is the PID for DirectIP mode. PIDs for the MC7700/10 are as follows:

• 0x68A2 (QMI)
    • 0x68A3 (Direct IP)
    • 0x68AA (Direct IP) vendor specific

New firmware can be flashed, but this requires special software. The Sierra modules I have set up for others have been flashed with the DirectIP SWI9200X_03.05.15.01AP (2012/07/09) firmware release. This firmware supports both the MC7700 and MC7710 with GPS support for both GPS and GLONASS satellites. (Note: WebOS does not recognize the GLONASS data).

So, if you have a MC7710 with QMI firmware, the kernel will initialize it and report a PID of 68a2, but the OS will not be able to recognize or operate it.

I got my MC7700 here: MC7700 - 1101366- LTE, HSPA+, AT&T, Generic, Direct IP. The price may not seem 'reasonable'; however, by buying from a factory authorized distributor, I was able to get excellent support for development.

John

PS: I assume what lemanho is suggesting -- inserting Opalumtsfw-sierra.tar into WebOS Doctor. This may flash DirectIP firmware to the Sierra module when the TP is doctored.
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 03/07/2013 at 10:20 PM.
    I am not sure it because there is no 4G service in china now. But I know that HP had development the sierra MC7700 on touchpadgo in 2011. I think that can work in touchpad 4G device.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    Herrie:

Reading lemanho's post reminded me of something important!
    The MC7700/10 comes preloaded with two very different firmware setups - QMI mode and Direct IP mode. You need to have the Direct IP mode firmware for it to work in the HP TP 4G.

In the dmesg log I attached, you will see that it reported: "usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=1199, idProduct=68a3". This is the PID for DirectIP mode. PIDs for the MC7700/10 are as follows:

• 0x68A2 (QMI)
    • 0x68A3 (Direct IP)
    • 0x68AA (Direct IP) vendor specific

New firmware can be flashed, but this requires special software. The Sierra modules I have set up for others have been flashed with the DirectIP SWI9200X_03.05.15.01AP (2012/07/09) firmware release. This firmware supports both the MC7700 and MC7710 with GPS support for both GPS and GLONASS satellites. (Note: WebOS does not recognize the GLONASS data).

So, if you have a MC7710 with QMI firmware, the kernel will initialize it and report a PID of 68a2, but the OS will not be able to recognize or operate it.

I got my MC7700 here: MC7700 - 1101366- LTE, HSPA+, AT&T, Generic, Direct IP. The price may not seem 'reasonable'; however, by buying from a factory authorized distributor, I was able to get excellent support for development.

John

PS: I assume what lemanho is suggesting -- inserting Opalumtsfw-sierra.tar into WebOS Doctor. This may flash DirectIP firmware to the Sierra module when the TP is doctored.
    Thanks that could indeed be the problem. Will have a look to see what I can do there...
    DIY the gps cable for touchpadgo. There is enough space to put it into Touchpad 4G......
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    DIY the gps cable for touchpadgo. There is enough space to put it into Touchpad 4G......
    I believe that the black connector that you have on the bottom in the AUX port is actually the GPS antenna, and should go in the GPS port. According to the FCC filed documents (IIRC, they label it as the GPS antenna). I am not sure if an AUX antenna is necessary for this device.

EDIT: This should explain further (note, this is for a ThinkPad, but the logic holds true): http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...a46596#p679747
    Last edited by dkirker; 03/12/2013 at 11:52 PM.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Thanks that could indeed be the problem. Will have a look to see what I can do there...
    Managed to get a refund from the Chinese seller and ordered a new (more expensive) MC 7710 from an European source. I expect to receive it today or tomorrow and will report my findings
    Managed to get a refund from the Chinese seller and ordered a new (more expensive) MC 7710 from an European source. I expect to receive it today or tomorrow and will report my findings
    Ok got my new 7710 now. Seems to get recognized in DMESG, however I don't seem to get the signal bar at the top? Somehow the top 2cm of my touchscreen doesn't seem to work anymore either. Display is fine, just registering touches doesn't work....

Any ideas? Maybe I need to recalibrate display but cannot do it via Device Info due to top bar not working

Anyone can PM me the Sierra updated modem firmware link? I got the 3.0.5 Go Doctor but it's not in there

Code:
    [    6.752128] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=1199, idProduct=68a3
    [    6.752150] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber
    =4
    [    6.765548] usb 1-1.2: Product: MC7710
    [    6.769179] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
    [    6.775446] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 358178040645006
    [    6.782895] sierra 1-1.2:1.0: Sierra USB modem converter detected
    [    6.783671] usb 1-1.2: APM supported, enabling autosuspend.
    [    6.793992] usb 1-1.2: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [    6.800497] sierra 1-1.2:1.1: Sierra USB modem converter detected
    [    6.807224] usb 1-1.2: APM supported, enabling autosuspend.
    [    6.812355] usb 1-1.2: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB1
    [    6.818899] sierra 1-1.2:1.2: Sierra USB modem converter detected
    [    6.825471] usb 1-1.2: APM supported, enabling autosuspend.
    [    6.830923] usb 1-1.2: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB2
    [    6.837316] sierra 1-1.2:1.3: Sierra USB modem converter detected
    [    6.843751] usb 1-1.2: APM supported, enabling autosuspend.
    [    6.849285] usb 1-1.2: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB3
    [    6.855841] sierra 1-1.2:1.4: Sierra USB modem converter detected
    [    6.862108] usb 1-1.2: APM supported, enabling autosuspend.
    [    6.868013] usb 1-1.2: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB4
    [    6.979410] disable endpoint exit
    [    7.010879] EXT3-fs: barriers not enabled
    [    7.011730] kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
    [    7.019292] EXT3-fs (dm-0): mounted filesystem with writeback data mode
    [    7.079598] disable endpoint exit
    [    7.179772] disable endpoint exit
    [    7.187296] sierra_net 1-1.2:1.7: wwan0: register 'sierra_net' at usb-ISP1763
    -1.2, Sierra Wireless USB-to-WWAN Modem, ce:2f:0d:0c:01:07
    [    7.199388] get_port_status port=2,portstatus=503, portchange=0
    Last edited by Herrie; 03/13/2013 at 02:57 PM.
    OK, screen is fixed, disconnected it, reconnected the cables and now it seems to be all working again. Still would need to update the Sierra firmware as it seems, because I don't get any signal in webOS yet?

Anyone who could provide me with one of the following files would save my day

opalumtsfw-sierra.tar or topazumtsfw-sierra.tar
    Last edited by Herrie; 03/14/2013 at 06:01 AM.
    Still would need to update the Sierra firmware as it seems, because I don't get any signal in webOS yet?
    I would not be too quick to blame the firmware. It seems like it is starting up OK, and I am not sure why WebOS is not recognizing it. I know of 5 TP 4Gs (three different owners) with the Sierra module installed and all worked under WebOS rigth after installation (all in the US though). I presume you are running the AT&T version of WebOS 3.0.5 and have the right APN set.

I might be able to help figure out what is wrong if I saw the WebOS radio logs (til.log).

Files similar to the ones you mentioned are in the TP Go rom that lemanho sent me, but have zero byte lengths. However, I did find a file in the rom that apparently uploads the Sierra firmware. I have not tried it in a TP and do not know if it works. I can send it tonight if you like, but I can only guess at how to use it correctly.

If you are willing to install Android, I can send you an Android CM10 build for the TP 4G that supports the Sierra MBM. This build dumps much more extensive logs when starting up. From them, I can tell if it is a firmware issue or not. If it is a firmware issue, the CM10 TP 4G build is capable of flashing the Sierra.

John
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 03/14/2013 at 03:52 PM.
    lemanho likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
    I believe that the black connector that you have on the bottom in the AUX port is actually the GPS antenna
    For the Sierra, the GPS connection is for a Standalone GPS antenna and the AUX port is for a Diversity, MIMO, or GPS antenna. The connector actually used by the module for GPS can be selected in the firmware; however, the default is for the GPS connector to be used for GPS. So, you have two choices if you are using two antenna - 1) attach the black lead to the GPS connector as suggested by dkirker or 2) attach it to the AUX connector and change the firmware setting for GPS to use this connector by issuing the proper AT commands. Cellular reception in the second case may be better. If you want to add an antenna, then the GPS connection will support a GPS antenna by default and the AUX connection will support Diversity/MIMO antenna.

John
    I would not be too quick to blame the firmware. It seems like it is starting up OK, and I am not sure why WebOS is not recognizing it. I know of 5 TP 4Gs (three different owners) with the Sierra module installed and all worked under WebOS rigth after installation (all in the US though). I presume you are running the AT&T version of WebOS 3.0.5 and have the right APN set.

I might be able to help figure out what is wrong if I saw the WebOS radio logs (til.log).

Files similar to the ones you mentioned are in the TP Go rom that lemanho sent me, but have zero byte lengths. However, I did find a file in the rom that apparently uploads the Sierra firmware. I have not tried it in a TP and do not know if it works. I can send it tonight if you like, but I can only guess at how to use it correctly.

If you are willing to install Android, I can send you an Android CM10 build for the TP 4G that supports the Sierra MBM. This build dumps much more extensive logs when starting up. From them, I can tell if it is a firmware issue or not. If it is a firmware issue, the CM10 TP 4G build is capable of flashing the Sierra.

John
    Hi John,

Thanks for the help!

When I install the Ericsson back in, I get my "LycaMobile" carrier string right away + the bars. However with the Sierra I don't get these (See screenshot) I'm using a 7710 but I understood from both you and Barry that it should work fine just like the 7700... I attached the til.log for a fresh reboot + starting.

I can probably use PmModemUpdater to flash the modem update for the Sierra

I know my way around this

You can send me the the CM10 links, I already have the following build on my TP (quite old I guess):

10-MBM_Beta-20121027-4g_alpha0-tenderloin
    Attached Files Attached Files
    For the Sierra, the GPS connection is for a Standalone GPS antenna and the AUX port is for a Diversity, MIMO, or GPS antenna. The connector actually used by the module for GPS can be selected in the firmware; however, the default is for the GPS connector to be used for GPS. So, you have two choices if you are using two antenna - 1) attach the black lead to the GPS connector as suggested by dkirker or 2) attach it to the AUX connector and change the firmware setting for GPS to use this connector by issuing the proper AT commands. Cellular reception in the second case may be better. If you want to add an antenna, then the GPS connection will support a GPS antenna by default and the AUX connection will support Diversity/MIMO antenna.

John
    BAM! That explains why when I incorrectly connected the GPS antenna to the AUX port GPS did NOT work. I had not set it in the modem.

This has me tempted to get a diversity antenna, too! Dunno how much good it will do me, but I love hacking!

Thanks for the info.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Herrie:

The ports are being assigned correctly by the kernel, but WebOS seems like it may be trying to use the wrong port. Hard to be sure from the til log, but it is clearly not connecting. Couple of more things to do for me. Look for a log file called "modeminfo" and send it. Also, create a list of the enumerated devices from a command prompt ($ ls -la /dev > ports.txt) and send it.

Yep, that CM10 build is for the Ericsson and will not work with the Sierra. If you PM me with your email address, I will send you a link to the Seirra build and some instructions in about an hour or so on how to install and dump logs.

John
    As of January 2013, Sierra Wireless released technical documentation on the MC7700 previously only available if you signed a non-disclosure agreement. They are now available if you sign up for a login and password on the Sierra Wireless Developer Zone site.

Documents that may be of interest:
    • AirPrime MC7700: Product Technical Specification & Customer Design Guidelines
    • AirCard/AirPrime UMTS Supported AT Command Reference
    • AirPrime MC/SL-Series (UMTS/LTE) Extended AT Command Reference
    • AirPrime/AirCard USB Driver Developerís Guide

John
    dkirker, jbates and hfGermany like this.