webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > 4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
  Reply
Like Tree77Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02/08/2013, 09:20 AM   #741 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 182
Mutoidi:

1. You will have the option when first starting a clean WebOS to restore from an existing profile.

2. It is much preferable to use OTA to update.

4. I do not recall off-hand and am currently running CM10, search this topic.

5. It is probably best to start over with mods (like turning on developer mode) and re-installing your preware patches. As far as I know, all should work on 4G TP.

6. The two internal antenna on the 4G TP work pretty well and I do not recommend attempting to add different antenna unless you really have severe problems.

John
NewbyJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 11:03 AM   #742 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,699
John:

Thank you for your time.

1). Into which I then log, also with the exiting name/password - even on a machine with different (ie 4G) tokens etc?

2). Will it auto-update from original loading, direct to 3.0.5 - ie. the most`recent update, or will it sequentially update?
I recall some linear sequential-update 'glitches' whilst first recieving automatic TP system-updates OTA from 3.0.1 through 3.0.5?

4). Thank you.. I will search. CM10 clearly also has it's 'attractions' then John!
(Thank you also for responding @ my #229 - 'A*droid on 4G TP' thread).

5). OK.. verify F4 Phantom Kernel 'Patch' is fully 4G compatible?

6). In rural Aus. a small simple external Antenna gives me at least an extra reception 'Bar' on Mobile Wifi-Modem Hotspot unit --> Wifi-only TP.
A fully tuned high-gain External TP Antenna could therefore be of significant value in some of the many 'shadow' radio-reception areas so far remaining here. I will explore it however.

Appreciated

Mutoidi.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/08/2013 at 11:46 AM.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 12:05 PM   #743 (permalink)
Member
 
Gwidion's Avatar
 
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
2). Will it auto-update from original loading, direct to 3.0.5 - ie. the most`recent update, or will it sequentially update?
I recall some linear sequential-update 'glitches' whilst first recieving automatic TP system-updates OTA from 3.0.1 through 3.0.5?
No, my TouchPad haven't had shown the possibility for an direct update from 3.0.1 to 3.0.5 I've had to doctor it.
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 12:58 PM   #744 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
No, my TouchPad haven't had shown the possibility for an direct update from 3.0.1 to 3.0.5 I've had to doctor it.
Thank You..

Did the OTA update sequence fail.. so you then 'had' to Doctor direct to 3.0.5?

So for a clean webOS install, though it may be 'much preferable', it may not always 'possible' to sucessfully follow the OTA update-route?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/08/2013 at 01:14 PM.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 03:03 PM   #745 (permalink)
Member
 
Gwidion's Avatar
 
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
Thank You..

Did the OTA update sequence fail.. so you then 'had' to Doctor direct to 3.0.5?

So for a clean webOS install, though it may be 'much preferable', it may not always 'possible' to sucessfully follow the OTA update-route?
That's it. OTA sequence failed, I tried several times before I've doctored my TP4G. And for personal reasons, I've doctored to 3.0.4.

What is a clean webOS install? A new profile without Apps and so on?

My thought was, that 3.0.1 is pretty old and that most of used device should be higher in Version history. Perhaps some early changes between 3.0.2 and 3.0.4 are not integrated in OTA Update.
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 01:38 AM   #746 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
That's it. OTA sequence failed, I tried several times before I've doctored my TP4G. And for personal reasons, I've doctored to 3.0.4.

What is a clean webOS install? A new profile without Apps and so on?

My thought was, that 3.0.1 is pretty old and that most of used device should be higher in Version history. Perhaps some early changes between 3.0.2 and 3.0.4 are not integrated in OTA Update.
Right.. thank you.
I once had an OTA fail because I omitted to return to the original Palm Kernel etc first!
Apart from occaisional Audio degradation, I have found 3.0.5 to be very stable..
and as far as the 4G model goes.. assume that it is thus also the most 'developed'?
I assume that is what John means by 'clean webOS install' at his point 1). @ #741 above - yes.


Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/09/2013 at 01:55 AM.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2013, 03:56 PM   #747 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
Mutoidi:

1. You will have the option when first starting a clean WebOS to restore from an existing profile.

2. It is much preferable to use OTA to update.

4. I do not recall off-hand and am currently running CM10, search this topic.

5. It is probably best to start over with mods (like turning on developer mode) and re-installing your preware patches. As far as I know, all should work on 4G TP.

6. The two internal antenna on the 4G TP work pretty well and I do not recommend attempting to add different antenna unless you really have severe problems.

John
1). Yes - I selected the option to restore existing backed-up profile and after about 7 attempts (probably server glitches) it completed successfully.

2). I chose 'vol up + power' buttons to enter USB recovery mode and Doctor straight to 3.0.5. pre-activation. This presented no problems and I then moved to 1).

[3). The machine then appeared to have been already SIM-unlocked and connects well on 3G Telstra Data SIM here. Download 1.3Mbit/s. Upload 399.7KBit/s. Ping 391ms. on first random test.]

4). 'Auto-connected'. APN not manually set.

5). Yes. All patches installed OK. On Uberkernel atm. Will test F4 etc. (Later: F4 Excellent).

6). Will also explore TP rural/mobile reception strengths compared with Wifi-Modem + Antenna.

Enjoyable machine!

Thanks for your assistance.


Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/12/2013 at 02:41 PM.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2013, 09:18 PM   #748 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 91
Glad you are enjoying your new toy
ceejayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 01:55 AM   #749 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejayr View Post
Glad you are enjoying your new toy

More than a 'Toy' actually!!
Attached Images
File Type: png 4G World.....png (262.9 KB, 17 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/14/2013 at 11:54 AM.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 04:11 AM   #750 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

 
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
More than a 'Toy' actually!!
Where do you get the data usage statistics widget from?
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 01:59 PM   #751 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Where do you get the data usage statistics widget from?

This very thread *somewhere*, I believe!
Named: <com.palm.motral.toggle4gwidget_1.1.1_all.ipk>
Try here too: [App] Toggle 3G/WiFi Widget for Pre3 & TouchPad


Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/13/2013 at 02:13 PM.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 02:07 PM   #752 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Where do you get the data usage statistics widget from?
Developer's topic:
Виджет статистики 4G/WiFi и контроля 4G подключения : HP TouchPad - Программы
Pilotovef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/14/2013, 12:07 PM   #753 (permalink)
Member
 
Mutoidi's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,699
Does anyone feel a 'need' for a GPS Toggle Widget/Bar-Graph Recepttivity Strength Indicator notification also?
Or will GPS only activate (turn 'ON') when requested of by an App/Operator - if first set as such in 'Location Services/Settings'?


Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/14/2013 at 03:13 PM.
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 04:32 PM   #754 (permalink)
Tazmorator
 
berdinkerdickle's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,058
I just received my 4G Touchpad.
Is there any advantage to having the 4G TouchPad other than the ability to use with At&t?
I'm on Verizon.
__________________
Just call me Berd.
berdinkerdickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 11:31 PM   #755 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
I just received my 4G Touchpad.
Is there any advantage to having the 4G TouchPad other than the ability to use with At&t?
I'm on Verizon.
The TouchPad 4G will work on almost any 3G cellular network at HSPA+ speeds -- max d/l 21,000 kbps, max u/l 5,760 kbps -- if it is unlocked. And you can get an unlock code from ceejayr if your TP 4G is locked. Works great on AT&T out of the box using WebOS (also with Android CM9 or CM10).

Also the TouchPad 4G mobile broadband module provides GPS positioning for accurate locations, driving directions, etc.
NewbyJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ceejayr likes this.
Thanked By: berdinkerdickle
Old 02/26/2013, 05:44 PM   #756 (permalink)
Member
 
Verell's Avatar
 
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
The TouchPad 4G will work on almost any 3G cellular network ....
CAVEAT: It will only work with GSM based Cellular networks, NOT WITH CDMA networks. See this Wiki article for a list of GSM providers:
List of United States wireless communications service providers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Verell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: NewbyJE
Old 03/05/2013, 06:11 PM   #757 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 4
I just purchased a TouchPad "4G" off of eBay it's still in the factory sealed plastic wrap and the HP stickers are still intact.

Question:

1. With the rarity of this device and the limited amount that was produced what do you estimate the "collection value" of it woud be in a couple of years?

2. When I contacted AT&T about getting the device set up on a wireless data plan the rep told me that because it was never officially release and that AT&T had no official documentation on it that it wouldn't be supported on the network. What hassles if any did you guys encounter getting it working on AT&Ts network?
swsmpbaby985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 06:30 PM   #758 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 91
^
1. it's not as rare as the 7" Touchpad Go, infact i still have a couple factory sealed 4Gs for sale.

2. dunno.

I do carrier unlocks for a minimal fee, reach out to me if you need your device unlocked.
ceejayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 08:06 PM   #759 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbaby985 View Post
I just purchased a TouchPad "4G" off of eBay it's still in the factory sealed plastic wrap and the HP stickers are still intact.

Question:

1. With the rarity of this device and the limited amount that was produced what do you estimate the "collection value" of it woud be in a couple of years?

2. When I contacted AT&T about getting the device set up on a wireless data plan the rep told me that because it was never officially release and that AT&T had no official documentation on it that it wouldn't be supported on the network. What hassles if any did you guys encounter getting it working on AT&Ts network?
swampbaby -

I signed onto AT&T's service through the TouchPad itself. I've never talked to a rep or been in to a store. I pay $30 per month for a 3GB data plan with no other account activated(my phone service is with Sprint).

Open the AT&T app and see what happens. It should work. So far, network service has been good for me.
krotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 08:31 PM   #760 (permalink)
Tazmorator
 
berdinkerdickle's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by krotech View Post
swampbaby -

I signed onto AT&T's service through the TouchPad itself. I've never talked to a rep or been in to a store. I pay $30 per month for a 3GB data plan with no other account activated(my phone service is with Sprint).

Open the AT&T app and see what happens. It should work. So far, network service has been good for me.
Where'd you get your SIM Card?
__________________
Just call me Berd.
berdinkerdickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0