webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > 4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
Like Tree77Likes

Old 01/01/2013, 04:18 PM   #721 (permalink)

connect to pc via usb, enable usb drive mode.... transfer files from TP4G to pc, exit usb drive mode when done. Reset touchpad. I think that sums it up.
ceejayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 07:33 AM   #722 (permalink)

replied to those who messaged me about unlocks... happy new year everyone!
Old 01/07/2013, 01:22 PM   #723 (permalink)

My first Post before I'm reading this thread. Now I'm owning one two :-) Yippieh.
I'm living in Germany and I'm nosy if it has SIM Lock. B-)
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 01:01 AM   #724 (permalink)

Tricking out my 4G - Internal LTE Antenna?

So, with the posted information provided by TTB, and the real time help and further information provided by NewbyJE, I have now replaced the MBMs on both of my TouchPad 4Gs to the Sierra modules.

One thing that I noticed after doing this was that the LTE speed of my Touchpad was about 40% less than my iPad 3 (same SIM card) when compared side-by-side in same spot within 5 minutes of each (multiple tests done). After exchanging emails with NewbyJE, it seems like it might be an issue with the antenna of the Touchpad as compared to that of the iPad.

So, any leads from anyone on what would be a good antenna setup to completely trick out my Touchpad with Sierra module installed? I am open to internal LTE antenna, external LTE antenna (I would have to mod the case to provide for a hole through which antenna port could connect) or both.

Thanks in advance.
sd_matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 04:50 AM   #725 (permalink)

Perhaps a known (or stupid) question: is it normal for an ATT TP4G to have an ATT Simcard inside? I'm living in Germany.
Old 01/08/2013, 10:46 AM   #726 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
Perhaps a known (or stupid) question: is it normal for an ATT TP4G to have an ATT Simcard inside? I'm living in Germany.
Yes, it's normal.

To test whether your TP4G is SIM unlocked, insert a German carrier's SIM card, turn off WiFi and reboot device; if it recognizes your German SIM card, then it is unlocked.

Good luck!
Old 01/08/2013, 12:47 PM   #727 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinlaca View Post
Yes, it's normal.

To test whether your TP4G is SIM unlocked, insert a German carrier's SIM card, turn off WiFi and reboot device; if it recognizes your German SIM card, then it is unlocked.

Good luck!
Thx. I've tried and it *is* unlocked. Yippieh.

Another question: the current version of webOS on this device is 3.0.1 It doesn't show the possibility to upgrade. Is there a best version for it? (3.0.4 vs 3.0.5)
Old 01/08/2013, 01:32 PM   #728 (permalink)

Where did you get your 4g touchpad? How can I get one?
mdavidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2013, 01:49 PM   #729 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavidg View Post
Where did you get your 4g touchpad? How can I get one?
Via this Forum?!
Old 01/09/2013, 12:36 AM   #730 (permalink)

Quote:
Via this Forum?!
Or on eBay
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 07:12 PM   #731 (permalink)

Quote:
Another question: the current version of webOS on this device is 3.0.1 It doesn't show the possibility to upgrade. Is there a best version for it? (3.0.4 vs 3.0.5)
I use a dual boot 3.0.5 (webOS) and CM9 (Android) combo. Spend more time in Android, though will occasionally dabble in webOS.

Not sure which is better (3.0.4 or 3.0.5), but I usually go with latest (for bug fixes and such).

Hope the above helps.
Old 01/11/2013, 08:44 PM   #732 (permalink)

I'm on 3.0.5 and CM9 and the only quirks i have with CM9 is the standby drain issue... it is nowhere near webOS. But i just cant leave webOS alone. I always end back going to it every now and then
Old 01/12/2013, 12:07 PM   #733 (permalink)

Another question. If I'm updating my TP4G to 3.0.4, is there a risk to get a netlock or Simlock? I'm using it currently with a German SIM card and don't want to lose this function
Old 01/12/2013, 01:21 PM   #734 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Simlock should stay gone once it's gone. Updating to a new version doesn't change that :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 01/12/2013, 03:09 PM   #735 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Simlock should stay gone once it's gone. Updating to a new version doesn't change that :-)

Thx Herrie.
Old 02/02/2013, 01:14 PM   #736 (permalink)

Hi Everyone,

Was going through all the post on this lounge and it took me a while to reach the last post. My salute to you all. I think I will follow this thread for a long time henceforth. I bought the TP4G from ebay in an auction. Got it for $305 including shipping. The pack came with TS charger, BT Keyboard and case. I think it was a great deal. The set came locked on AT&T and I was in Albany, NY from where I tried to check for the possibility to unlock the device. Contacted HP and AT&T and it didn't help much. Then I came to this forum to find this amazing community. kayphoonstar directed me to this thread and I thank him for this.

Presently am in India where I reside. I love my TP4G and trying for the unlock to get it to work on 3G services here. Also am interested in trying out with the beta and alpha testing wherever applicable. Only thing is I need a bit of guidance.

Anyway, Cheers to this forum.

Best Regards

Indrajit
indrajit_pande is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kayphoonstar likes this.
Old 02/02/2013, 03:37 PM   #737 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Ceejay from this topic can get you an unlock code for $30 or so, just contact him by PM.

Old 02/04/2013, 04:23 PM   #738 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejayr View Post
replied to those who messaged me about unlocks... happy new year everyone!
Free as a bird now. Thanks to Ceejay.

Regards Indrajit
indrajit_pande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 03:33 AM   #739 (permalink)

G'day..

I am soon to recieve a 4G 32Gb machine and thus look forward to sharing the rarified airs of the 'Owners Lounge' community here.
A pleasure to join the many.. (or is it 'few'?).. now enjoying *full* stand alone TP connectivity!
My 32Gb Wifi only unit will instead become the emergency 'back-up' machine!

I will initially be using the Australian Telstra '3G' network.

Yes.. I have read this thread (and other '4G Android' related threads) but would graciously ask any reader with the experience/knowlege already gained, to qickly & simply walk me through a few basic steps to allow me to efficiently and successfully update, activate and install etc.

Thank You!

These are my basic questions:

1). I wish to retain/transfer all contacts etc at present stored (and backed up online @ HP/Palm) from the Wifi, to the 4G unit.
If I activate and log in to my same Palm Profile name/password when I first initiate the 4G machine, will that backup then automatically be re-downloaded onto the 4G machine also?

I was slightly confused by when and how, if necessary, one machine may in fact have to impersonate or masquerade as another's Profile (via 'Impostah' etc), in order to actually update/achieve the above?

2). Having said that.. would I initially be better first-activating and then allowing the 4G to OTA update it's OS online.. or instead first 'Doctor' straight to latest '305hstnatt' anyway.. and then first-activate online?

*[3). Unlocking.. (Big THANKS to 'Ceejayr' - you *THE* Master-keyholder! .. am I correct in assuming that when I first insert my local Telstra (non-AT&T) prepaid Broadband SIM, I will (hopefully) simply be asked to enter an 'unlock code' and that this process is clear and straight forward from thereon in?] [*Later: 'OK Thanks again Ceejay' - @ #740 below].

4). APN Settings.
Where are they entered again please.. and would these settings then 'cover' it?

• Name: Telstra Internet
• APN: telstra.internet
• Proxy: (blank)
• Port: (blank)
• MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
• MCC: 505
• MNC: 01
• Authentication: CHAP
• APN type: default,supl

5). Preware Patches etc.
Can these also be backed up and 'transferred' from the Wifi to the 4G unit? Or must they be reloaded individually?
Are there any glaring incompatabilities that have so far been spotted re. any 'standard' (Wifi only) Patches in the 4G-specific OS?
Does the 'F4 Phantom' Kernel also cater for the 4G unit.. or should I revert to 'Uberkernel' in that machine in order to safely 'overclock' etc?
Also, I notice only one 4G-specific 'patch'.. a widget to allow 'toggling'.. am I missing any others here?

6). In this country there are many weak signal areas still.. the idea, also mentioned here, of fitting a jack for an external 'booster' Antenna resonates well.. has anyone yet found need for this mod.. or would it only be applicable to the LTE Sierra card Mod?

That'll do for now..
Thanks again and great to be with you!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/08/2013 at 01:16 PM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2013, 04:32 AM   #740 (permalink)

^^

3. Yes.

Welcome to the TP 4G community.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0