webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > 4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
Like Tree77Likes

Old 10/28/2012, 04:38 AM   #701 (permalink)

Yeah, but anyone who isntt already overclocking is totally missing a trick! My 4g has been at 1.8ghz since day 1 :-)
Old 10/28/2012, 10:04 AM   #702 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I do have a question about something with the 4G. It has the phone nr of the previous owner who shortly test drove it to unlock etc assigned to the SIM account, but this is not my nr. Any way to update change this nr to my own nr?
Old 10/28/2012, 02:50 PM   #703 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
I do have a question about something with the 4G. It has the phone nr of the previous owner who shortly test drove it to unlock etc assigned to the SIM account, but this is not my nr. Any way to update change this nr to my own nr?
Change the SIM card?
• HTC One (T-Mobile)
• Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
• Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
gamer765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2012, 02:11 AM   #704 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Change the SIM card?
Did this already, otherwise I wouldn't ask :-)
Old 11/11/2012, 04:03 PM   #705 (permalink)

I don't know much about how sim cards work so I'd like to confirm that it's possible to transfer an activated 4G TP AT&T sim card into a USB 4g modem (I'm thinking of the Sierra Wireless AirCard 313U ) when/if I want to use the USB modem as a backup connection on my router.

I'm just thinking about being able to have the option of either using one with only one data account.

Any info or advice?
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2012, 07:29 PM   #706 (permalink)

Hi all:

I opened my HP TouchPad 4G to install a Sierra MC7700 MBM in place of the stock Ericsson F5521gw MBM. Based on my experience, the following are some suggestions that supplement the instructions on iFixit (HP TouchPad Repair Manual - iFixit) for opening your TouchPad 4G for service. Disclaimer: You can damage your TouchPad 4G by opening the case and should only do so if you are willing to take this risk!!! Also, note all the cautions in the iFixit instructions.

1. Note that The HP TouchPad 4G case is slightly different than the HP TouchPad WiFi case. The 4G has eight (8) clips instead of seven (7) on the WiFi. (see red boxes on Photo 1).

2. The plastic clips are "J" shaped and are held in a pocket the back case by a small plastic tab. It is very easy to damage the clips when you open the case. When I opened my case, I broke off the small plastic tab that held the four (4) clips in the back case along the volume rocker side (see red box on Photo 2). I was able to superglue the clips to the back before re-assembly. If you do so, be careful to get them fully seated over the locating pin (see red box on Photo 3).

3. The "J" clips fit into a shallow slot on the side of the screen assembly and the key to limiting damage is to 'pop' them free by pulling top of the clip outward from the screen as you work around the case with your flat metal spudger as shown on the iFixit instructions. Here are some hints that may help you avoid damaging the clips:
  • Use a bright work light to illuminate the clip area. Consider using magnifying glasses so you can see the details clearly as you work.
  • Free each clip as you work around the case from Clip 1 to 8, starting with inserting your metal spunger between the USB connector and Clip 1. They should be released long before they are as far above the back case as is shown in the iFixit pictures.
  • As soon as the top of each clip is visible, you should pop it free. TTB has used a guitar pick to leverage it out from the top. For me, it was easier to slip a dental pick (like one of those shown in Picture 4 with a straight pick) between the top of the clip and the side of the screen and pop it free by pulling it away from the screen.
4. Once you free the clips, you can tilt the screen up (there may be some sticky adhesive) and pull it out toward the volume rocker side to free the tabs that slip under the speaker side corners (see green circles on Photo 1). You will need to disconnect the red antenna lead from the MBM and then you can lay the screen back. Or you can remove it completely as shown in the IFixIt instructions.

5. If you are replacing the MBM, it is covered with adhesive-backed shielding foil that will need to be carefully cut around the edges of the MBM module, Then you can remove the black antenna lead and remove the two screws (one with a clip), raise the end of the MBM, and slide it out of the socket.

Thanks to TTB for his assistance.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TP_4G_01.jpg (766.1 KB, 95 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg TP_4G_02.jpg (658.2 KB, 71 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg TP_4G_03.jpg (560.0 KB, 70 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg Dental Tools.jpg (19.5 KB, 42 views) Email Attachment
NewbyJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gamer765
Old 11/11/2012, 07:53 PM   #707 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
I don't know much about how sim cards work so I'd like to confirm that it's possible to transfer an activated 4G TP AT&T sim card into a USB 4g modem (I'm thinking of the Sierra Wireless AirCard 313U ) when/if I want to use the USB modem as a backup connection on my router.

I'm just thinking about being able to have the option of either using one with only one data account.

Any info or advice?
You can swap it back and forth, no problem. If one of the devices you put the SIM into even if only for 5 minutes happens to be an LTE 4G device, then you can expect text and email messages from AT&T congratulating you on your purchase of a new LTE enabled smartphone or tablet device to follow shortly thereafter. Of course the spam goes on to offer you the option of upgrading your data plan to one that can utilize LTE bands (if you haven't done that yet because natively the TP 4G is HSPA+).
You don't need to do anythiing and the SIM will work just fine, but the emails are auto generated whenever a 4G LTE device using a SIM account that hasn't been upgraded to an LTE data plan is seen on the network.
Thanked By: kayphoonstar
Old 12/02/2012, 06:39 PM   #708 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotech View Post
For anyone getting their TP 4G unlocked and going to Britain, I can tell you that the Three mobile network SIM card also works with the TouchPad. There was a vending machine with SIM cards in it (which is a fantastic idea) and the Three SIM cards were the only ones in the machine advertised as data-only, so I bought one. Paid a little more for the convenience - a few pounds' worth - but I dropped it in and had signal and access before I left the airport. All phone tech should be as easy as this. HP really should release all of those codes.

Hopefully, steven_farkas can get his TP unlocked and make use of the network. Good luck to you, hoss. Good coverage so far. And I might need your help with something next week, if you'd be up for it. I'll be in Oxford. Have to jump over to the CM9 thread now to ask about it first.

K
What kind of speed did you get from it while in the UK? Was tempted getting one but thought it wouldnt work over here in Europe?
Old 12/04/2012, 01:10 PM   #709 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
What kind of speed did you get from it while in the UK? Was tempted getting one but thought it wouldnt work over here in Europe?
I got lucky and bought a TP 4G with an unlocked cellular modem. I didn't know that at the time, but I'm glad I did. AT&T is simple and so far reliable, so I haven't seen any need to change my provider. Most of the 4G 'pads aren't unlocked, but someone on this forum might be able to get you the unlock code for yours. Check upthread for his username and PM him.

The TP won't work on the LTE networks being rolled out in Britain, but it does work on the already-established 3G/3.5G networks. I bought a SIM card for the Three network and the TP connected immediately. I think the network protocol for 3 is HSPA+, but I'm not sure. The AT&T 3.5G protocol in the USA is HSPA+.

I had good speeds in London and Cornwall and Oxford. I didn't measure the speeds, but I didn't wait for much of anything to load. I wanted the access for e-mail and for Maps to get me around since I was driving, and it worked great. No real problems.

I have the CM9 4G mod installed and was able to access the cell network through that as well. I did have to add the APN info manually. You can search for that if you need it.
krotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 09:39 PM   #710 (permalink)

hi, i bought touchpad 4g off ebay.

The touchpad seems to be locked to AT&T network, Is there any way to unlock it?(i m not sure whether i can trust unlocking sites for touchpad)

Any pointers will help.

Thanks,
Srinivasan
Srinivasan_Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 10:31 PM   #711 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivasan_Kumar View Post
hi, i bought touchpad 4g off ebay.

The touchpad seems to be locked to AT&T network, Is there any way to unlock it?(i m not sure whether i can trust unlocking sites for touchpad)

Any pointers will help.

Thanks,
Srinivasan
The unlock sites have not worked according to the stories posted here. A user upthread has been able to get unlock codes previously. Send them a PM and see if s/he can help you out.

AT&T has been good for me, though.

Good luck!
krotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 01:18 AM   #712 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krotech View Post
The unlock sites have not worked according to the stories posted here. A user upthread has been able to get unlock codes previously. Send them a PM and see if s/he can help you out.

AT&T has been good for me, though.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply krotech,

I will contact the poster above. Can AT&T provide unlock code for TP or it all lies in hp's hands?
Old 12/06/2012, 12:13 PM   #713 (permalink)

PM ceejayr, I have never heard of any other methods for getting unlock codes.
yorxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 12:15 PM   #714 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorxs View Post
PM ceejayr, I have never heard of any other methods for getting unlock codes.
I have already sent a message to ceejayr waiting for his reply
Old 12/09/2012, 04:17 AM   #715 (permalink)

sent pm, anyone else needing help with TP 4G unlocks, i am here, ready and waiting.
ceejayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by VasTheGreek, kayphoonstar and pepebuho like this.
Thanked By: pepebuho
Old 12/24/2012, 11:46 PM   #716 (permalink)

Merry Christmas to you all.
ceejayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by bradmeister1, pepebuho
Old 12/26/2012, 01:05 PM   #717 (permalink)

Hi Ceejay, just sent you a PM. Merry Christmas!
pepebuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 08:38 PM   #718 (permalink)

tried to install OpenVPN on my new 4g touchpad tonight from preware and wasn't able to get it to show up in my downloads. As far as I know I have installed all associated apps and it shows as installed but there is no launch button. Am I missing something (need to configure, install)? Does OpenVPN work on 4g Touchpad? Any ideas?
marknyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 11:16 PM   #719 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknyack View Post
tried to install OpenVPN on my new 4g touchpad tonight from preware and wasn't able to get it to show up in my downloads. As far as I know I have installed all associated apps and it shows as installed but there is no launch button. Am I missing something (need to configure, install)? Does OpenVPN work on 4g Touchpad? Any ideas?
OpenVPN has no GUI - it is command-line only.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: marknyack
Old 12/29/2012, 02:07 AM   #720 (permalink)

Hi everybody at the webOS community,

I do own an unlocked TP 4G. Originally locked to Att, now it is duly unlocked. After a year, I was able to unlocked it with a code and it can be used with ANY company (currently tested with Simple Mobile and works).
I do love this device but I will probably need to let it go, because financial constraints are a common denominator nowadays for many families. In case I do so, I will probably describe all the features with pictures on ebay.
The main concern is how do I reset all my info and get pictures and files saved, so I can sell it free of worries as for sensitive info.
I am not truly knowledgeable about my device options, and for the few times used I checked this forum as well as YouTube in hopes to get more info. If you can assist me I will truly appreciate that, I never modified its capabilities or tried an android version on it, because I was not sure about how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
I heart app requires wifi too, just like splashtop. Write to the folks at iheartradio.com tech support please.

for now does the workaround you came up to make splashtop work?
P.S. I love my TP 4G's, all three of them. Too bad two are going to other people "IF" I can somehow get them unlocked.

P.S. #2 The SIM card slots are real. Instead of the placeholders that come on the wifi models with serial numbers on the bottom side, these ones actually have space to insert a SIM card.

This should prove the TouchPad 4G actually exists (Actual Craigslist post):

Click to view quoted image
Anthony Martin1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0