Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    any idea whether the CM9 rom would mean I could use a non ATT sim? or is the functionality somehow linked to the hardware?
    Installed CM9 4G version this morning and has been working fine for me all day. 'GPS test' app consistently gives me a good GPS fix and using a UK Orange SIM (I have an unlocked 4g Touchpad) worked fine with no modification.

I did also download the ICS stock messaging SMS app from the market but didn't work.

Great leap forward for us all. Is it possible to get SMS working?

Thanks to all who helped to make this happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsullins View Post
    Hi all,

I'd like to announce the first alpha release of CM9 specifically for the Touchpad 4G (4g_alpha0).

Many thanks to NewbyJE for helping make this happen.

This has had very limited testing. However, the basics (GPS/3G) work (for me, at least).

You can find it here: Goo.im Downloads - Browsing Touchpad4G

NOTE: To use the AT&T SIM that was included with my TP4G, I had to add a APN.
    From Settings/Wireless&Networks/More/Mobile Networks/Access Point Names,
    select "..." at top left, New APN, then enter "broadband" for the APN, whatever you want
    for Name and leave rest blank. Then select "..." at top right, Save. Then select the newly
    created APN (circle to right).

- James
    Confirmed working for Vodafone 3G HSPA (APN: live.vodafone.com) in Australia.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbyJE View Post
    Should be the same as for WebOS. If your SIM works there it should for CM9.
    If your modem is locked, it will be regardless of the OS. The same unlock code should work in either case.

- John
    well i got the answer i was expecting. locked on webos, locked on CM9. Logic should have told me that was the case, but one can dream...
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Excellent work -- I love it -- thanks a bunch for getting this done. Surfing with now on a non TP AT&T sin and has also confirmed it on a T-mobile

One question though, can we expect this to get merged into the nightlies ?

Thanks again

/peter
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuffet View Post
    One question though, can we expect this to get merged into the nightlies ?
    James Sullins said he is not sure how future releases will be handled -- the 4G mods may not be merged into the mainstream TouchPad CM9 (tenderloin) distribution. The mods will probably be made available if folks express an interest in doing their own builds and helping to address issues.

A few issues in this alpha release will be addressed in a future 4g_alpha release. For the near term, I believe James will base future 4g_alpha releases on the most recent tenderloin distribution and post them on this forum.

- John
    How often do your at&t signals drop? I think mine is dropping too often.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
    James Sullins said he is not sure how future releases will be handled -- the 4G mods may not be merged into the mainstream TouchPad CM9 (tenderloin) distribution. The mods will probably be made available if folks express an interest in doing their own builds and helping to address issues.

A few issues in this alpha release will be addressed in a future 4g_alpha release. For the near term, I believe James will base future 4g_alpha releases on the most recent tenderloin distribution and post them on this forum.

- John
    That makes sense, but maybe in the interest of saving James some of his time, we could get this as a free standing module that can get patched into any given nightly / alpha / beta / RC / release (since a patch is outside of the release process and hence does not require extensive testing by the team)?? I have some experience in building apk's so if the code lends itself to be installed that way maybe that could be a avenue to pursue

Thanks,

Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuffet View Post
    I have some experience in building apk's so if the code lends itself to be installed that way maybe that could be a avenue to pursue
    Could be a way to go, but I think it may take more than an apk. Perhaps a combination of mods to the nightly and an apk?

This is a first alpha and let's deal with the major issues first (although it does work pretty darn good for a first alpha except for the occasional 3G/GPS shutdowns - I have to reboot to get it started again).

-- John
    Could be a way to go, but I think it may take more than an apk. Perhaps a combination of mods to the nightly and an apk?

This is a first alpha and let's deal with the major issues first (although it does work pretty darn good for a first alpha except for the occasional 3G/GPS shutdowns - I have to reboot to get it started again).

-- John
    Thanks for collaborating my reports of signal dropping. I do have to reboot too to he it back.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
    Since we are not sure how these builds will evolve (or how many folks are tracking this), I created a web doc to track various issues, etc.

It is here: http://sdrv.ms/LhnY0m.

Ultimately, this may deserve its own thread in the Android forum, ultimately move to a 'dual' CyanogenMod release supported on RootzWiki, or some other option.

In the meantime, I will keep this doc updated with your feedback and progress on future builds.

-- John

Note: Workarounds for some issues now included in issues document (ony for those comfortable with root access).
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 06/01/2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Workarounds
    I get a com.android.phone failed to load error..any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by sancase View Post
    First time this has been reported.

Did this happen rigth after you first flashed the new ROM?

Can you give me some more details, steps to reproduce the error, etc.?

--John
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 06/01/2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Clarify
    Nothing special really... I installed it, then during the first boot I got the error.. So wiped pit CM9 then re installed same thing..
    Nothing special really... I installed it, then during the first boot I got the error.. So wiped pit CM9 then re installed same thing..
    sancase:

I will think about what could be causing this and discuss with others while working on 4g_alpha1 this weekend.

The 4g CM9 release does load 'com.android.phone' on startup, but no one else has reported that it has failed to load. I guess it is possible that you have some type of conflict in your data/programs that does not clear out with a cache wipe and Dalvik wipe. You could try a 'wipe data/factory reset' in CWM and then try installing. However, you would then have to reload your programs and data. If it still does not work, you can restore your prior working system and data from a Nandriod backup.

--John
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 06/01/2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Expanded
    what modem/data card is in your Touchpad?

Just for grins check to see if it happens to be one of those rare few (supposedly prototypes) that made it out of the factory with a Sierra Air Prime MC7700/10 LTE module tucked inside instead of the standard offering Ericsson 5221GW HSPA+

Worth a check at least.
    Or maybe you upgraded it yourself?????????
    Its possible to do that easily enough..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.

The second
    alpha release of CM9 specifically for the Touchpad 4G (4g_alpha1) is now available on James Sullin's goo.im download page.
    Many thanks to James for his assistance with this build and trouble shooting.

Goo.im Downloads - Browsing Touchpad4G

Additional information is available here: http://sdrv.ms/LhnY0m.

Fixes from alpha0 include:

• Terminal Emulator works (correct library now included)
    • Dropped connections now reconnect automatically
    • 3G signal bars indicate signal strength
    • SMS/MMS messaging included (limited testing)
    • Default maximum processor speed set to 1.512 MHz
    • Miscellaneous code improvements

As for the first alpha release, testing has been limited. Any feedback on issues will be appreciated.

APN settings for stock SIM and AT&T tablet rate plan*:

*Messaging $0.20 each or unlimited for $20.00 per month. You may need a phone account with AT&T for messaging to be supported on the tablet data plan. Maybe TopTongueBerry would know. Also, SMS worked with jcsullins T-Mobile SIM and the default APN.
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 06/06/2012 at 01:23 AM. Reason: AT&T Limitation
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I am assuming a cache and dalvik wipe then flash on top of Alpha0?
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    I am assuming a cache and dalvik wipe then flash on top of Alpha0?
    Always a good idea (does not matter which order ths is done while in CWM).

John

Additional installation help is available here: http://sdrv.ms/LhnY0m.
    ilikecl likes this.
    Thanks a ton for your awesome work!

This has definitely been a long time coming. Can't wait to get this installed when I get off work!
    Quote Originally Posted by tabletrus View Post
    Have not tried cellular connection yet as I have to buy a tablet plan yet. In webOS it could be easy to buy a plan. I hate to interact with ATT staff, so any pointers how you purchased the plan will be helpful.
    It is probably easiest to sign up on line using the AT&T Communicator on WebOS. It will walk you through the process. When I first got the TouchPad 4G last year, it seems to me that the options I was given at that time were for tablet data plans.

However, I already had a voice/smartphone plan with a corporate discount and the AT&T Communicatror would not properly recognize my existing account, so I had to call in to get it set up. I needed to provide the IMEI, ICCID, and SIM numbers. The person that helped me was not all that knowledgeable, but very helpful, figured it out, and made sure I was connected. My tablet data plan is connected to my voice/smartphone plan and the discount applies. Ever since then, I have been able to manage it online. Also, I have no restrictions regarding SMS, other than having to pay per message. Others have told me that having a tablet data plan without a linked voice/smartphone plan does not support SMS.

TopTongueBarry suggests a smartphone plan instead. The price is the same for a 3GB/month plan. Although, AT&T says this should not be used for a tablet, I doubt that it matters and I presume the smartphone plan will allow SMS as TTB stated on a pay per mesage basis (or $20/month for unlimited messaging).

So, you have options. I would not be too concerned about calling and discussing all your options if you have a little time and patience.

--John

PS -- See if your issue does not clear up if you do get a data plan and a valid APN. I presume this has not affected the GPS.
    Last edited by NewbyJE; 06/08/2012 at 12:22 AM.