Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    I'll trade you a dead panda for a dead unicorn. These adorable nicknames are making this forum sound like a brutal fantasy land... Do you know of any sites with HD photos of 4g internals? This semester I wanted to play around with trying and probably failing to attach a gps/4g module to a panda board but I haven't been able to find any excellent photos or dead units to compare or salvage from.
    Do not waste your time and in the process don't risk destroying your panda.

It is not possible to add a gps /4g module to the wi-fi main board used in the 16, 32, or 64 GB models.
    Seriously, it is NOT possible.

And you're not alone in your failure to locate a dead panda for sale. I'm still looking after several months. Only way to make a white panda touchpad 4G is to take the case off of a white panda and transplant just about everything except battery, speakers, wi-fi and BT antenna's, digitizer board, digitizer/lcd assembly and optionally the usb board from a Touchpad 4G into the white case. This includes transplanting the on/off button-volume rocker assembly, 4G and GPS antennas, main board mounting base, ericsson data card, and the main board itself.

If you can swap LCD's that's beneficial, but not required because the GPS antenna actually attaches to the LCD/Digitizer assembly on the 4G, but it can be placed elsewhere inside if your're using the LCD/Digitizer from the Wi-Fi model with the innards of a TP4G.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 01/30/2012 at 10:48 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    Thank you siobhanelis! 4G unlocked! :-)

Sent from my White Touchpad with Communities
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Just a note to the 4G community: the 4G I bought through the bay arrived safely, was unlocked and is fully operating, including German app catalog. The SWISSCOM SIM card is perfectly operational. Thanks to everyone offering support in any way.
    Last edited by mullern; 02/02/2012 at 07:22 AM.
    wohoo unlocked , Dont know how to thank you siobhanelis

Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Thank you siobhanelis! 4G unlocked! :-)

Sent from my White Touchpad with Communities
    I saw your thank you note and i see there is a Pm for me wow
    Unlocked finally
    Quote Originally Posted by vishage View Post
    wohoo unlocked , Dont know how to thank you siobhanelis

oh, you're lucky, I'm still waiting...
    Be forwarned - Attempt this at your own risk!

For those of you daring enough to open up your Touchpad 4G's, it is possible to swap out the Ericsson HSPA+ module and replace it with a Sierra Air Prime MC7700 LTE module.

I just completed one swap successfully, but there's a gotcha to be wary of and a trade off you'll need to decide whether you can live with in exchange for the mega increase in transfer speed and the performance boost that goes with it.

Gotcha - IMEI in your HP profile - Use impostah to maintain your prior IMEI or remove the device from your profile before swapping and then readd it afterwards.

Trade off - Cant use the production doctors after you swap (unless you want to risk possibly cooking the LTE module). You'll need to use meta-doctor to disable modem flashing. OTA updates seem to work just fine so far.

I've only found one vendor selling this LTE module and it's not cheap.

MC7700 - 1101367- LTE, HSPA+, AT&T,Generic, QMI for Windows

If you ever need to flash the LTE module, A windows firmware updater is available on the web and from Sierra Wireless support. You'll need to put the LTE module into a PCI-e slot on a Windows laptop to flash it. Then return it to your Touchpad 4G after flashing.

There is a Linux flasher too. Someone may be able to make it work in webOS. I was just happy to see the module I flashed in Windows work fine when put back into the TP 4G so I didn't bother digging into the Linux firmware updater.

TTB

EDIT: EU model for use on EU's LTE/HSPA+/3G freq's is the Air Prime MC7710
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/08/2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Added EU model info.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    renater and Pilotovef like this.
    TTB you are a serious adventurer. I don't know that I would be willing to risk some of the fun you have.
    Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it. Linux Is For Everyone (L.I.F.E.)
    If the module is manually replaceable, would it be possible to buy one and put it in a standard Touchpad to add 4G functionality? I'm guessing there's a reason not, otherwise someone would have surely already done it or talked about it, but hey.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Be forwarned - Attempt this at your own risk!

For those of you daring enough to open up your Touchpad 4G's, it is possible to swap out the Ericsson HSPA+ module and replace it with a Sierra Air Prime MC7700 LTE module.
    TTB
    "T" to the "T" in the "B" You da MAN! You just invented the

Hyper-Touch-Franken-Pad

So when you gonna show of a speed test for us?

Cheers
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    If the module is manually replaceable, would it be possible to buy one and put it in a standard Touchpad to add 4G functionality? I'm guessing there's a reason not, otherwise someone would have surely already done it or talked about it, but hey.
    It has been talked about. In fact repeatedly. Multiple posts abound.

Its not possible.

Here's one of the latest responses to the same question:

4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    So when you gonna show of a speed test for us?
    Fastest speed tests so far are around 22Mbs down and 7Mbs up.

Screenshots from a GO that happened to have a factory installed Sierra MC7700 are posted somewhere in this thread or on this site. It peaked at 26Mbs down and 8Mbs up during a brief visit to the same location last month.

Keep in mind data speeds vary widely. AT&T has not deployed LTE everywhere and where theres no LTE yet, the Sierra grabs an HSPA+ connection.

For those interested, speed tests of the Sierra and the Ericsson with an HSPA+ connection are almost identical. Not worth considering this move unless you know you've got LTE in most of the places you use your TP4G without Wi-Fi. Where there's LTE 4G the Sierra module really screams!
    Quote Originally Posted by vit_matrosov View Post
    oh, you're lucky, I'm still waiting...
    Patience is a virtue.
    Siobhn

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    vishage and smisy2k like this.
    GPS in CM9?

Has anyone tried dual-booting with CM9 (alpha 0.6 now) on the TP4G? Any issues, and does GPS work? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chunglau View Post
    GPS in CM9?

Has anyone tried dual-booting with CM9 (alpha 0.6 now) on the TP4G? Any issues, and does GPS work? Thanks.
    I have CM9 on my 4G TP and there is no support yet for the SIM. Because of no support, I boot into android very little but everything else is the same as on the WiFi TP. I am patiently waiting though.

Cheers
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    Does GPS work in CM9 on the 4G TP?
    read the answer above yours. CM9 doesn't have any support for the SIM and the network card so the dedicated GPS does not work at all. However, it has GPS functionality using the WiFi access point to determine its location.
    Devices:
    HP TouchPad WiFi 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.2 Kernel 3.0
    HP TouchPad 4G 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.1 MBM Beta
    HTC One (T-Mobile)
    Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
    Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    read the answer above yours. CM9 doesn't have any support for the SIM and the network card so the dedicated GPS does not work at all. However, it has GPS functionality using the WiFi access point to determine its location.
    I thought the GPS function is independent of the SIM card or the 3g/4g network card. I have not activated the SIM card, and my GPS works fine.
    GPS will work with the SIM being activated in webOS, but in CM7/9, there is absolutely no support for the network card so the onboard GPS won't work at all. The GPS you think is your location is actually the location of the WiFi router. All WiFi touchpads rely on the WiFi router to approximate its location, therefore not quite a real GPS.
    Devices:
    HP TouchPad WiFi 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.2 Kernel 3.0
    HP TouchPad 4G 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.1 MBM Beta
    HTC One (T-Mobile)
    Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
    Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    GPS will work with the SIM being activated in webOS, but in CM7/9, there is absolutely no support for the network card so the onboard GPS won't work at all. The GPS you think is your location is actually the location of the WiFi router. All WiFi touchpads rely on the WiFi router to approximate its location, therefore not quite a real GPS.
    GPS in the TP4G works without requiring that the 3G sim card be activated. I installed a couple of GPS monitor apps, and verified that in the absence of wi-fi and with the sim card not activated, GPS is still giving position fixes (in latitude and longitude). Of course, you need to download maps to navigate, and that would require internet access,at some point.