Page 21 of 47 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes
    I just got my TouchPad 4G today and turned it on (with the AT&T SIM installed) and connected to my wireless network. I created a new webOS account, etc.

I then noticed "AT&T" as the carrier and got the notification about adding a data package. Tapping the notification took me to the AT&T Communication Manager. I then took out the AT&T SIM and put in my T-Mobile SIM card only to see "No Service" in the status bar.

I went back into the AT&T Communication Manager (after I tossed the card away) and it then began to initialize. After 30 seconds or so, it said activated and "T - Mobile" showed up where "No Service" previously was ("AT&T" took this place holder when said SIM card was installed).

I now have an "E" for EDGE next to the signal bars (come on 3G roaming agreement and/or 1900 MHz refarming) and am able to use the AT&T Communication Manager to track my data usage (not that I care as I'm grandfathered in the $5.99 T-Zones unlimited internet).

While it's clear that I'm able to use T-Mobile's network without an issue, what is weird is that I had to "activate" it using the AT&T app. Had I not, I'm pretty sure it would have been stuck at/on "No Service."

By the way, I'm running webOS 3.0.1.

Any insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, the internet and MMS APN settings were automatically populated.

Internet used "wap.voicestream.com" with a username of "Handspring" (lol, no usernames or passwords for T-Mobile) and a password that I'm unaware of (it's encrypted).

MMS used "wap.voicestream.com" with a username of "hs_null" and an encrypted password. An MMSC of "http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms" and a max size of "300."

I'll compare these to known T-Mobile settings. I know that "epc.tmobile.com" can be used, etc.

EDIT #2: Some pics:

Last edited by Fabian Cortez; 01/10/2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added some more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by radiomando View Post
    hi folks. i have the tp 4g, and i am thinking its unlocked. i have no other active sim. but i do have a tmobile sim that isnt active. when i place it in tp, it says no service. this is leading me to believe mine is unlocked. anyone have any insight or comment on this thought? thanks in advance.
    Launch the AT&T Communication Manager and it should activate it.
    I didn't have to do a thing when I put my T-Mobile SIM in my TouchPad 4G, and I don't even have a data plan. T-Mobile showed up right away along with signal strength.
    Devices:
    • HP TouchPad WiFi 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.2 Kernel 3.0
    • HP TouchPad 4G 32 GB - webOS 3.0.5 + CyanogenMod 10.1 MBM Beta
    • HTC One (T-Mobile)
    • Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
    • Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    About to become a happy owner of a 4G TP. According to my seller it is originally packed, so I do not know if locked or unlocked yet. Should receive it in about 10 days.

Since I will operate it in Switzerland with a SwISSCOM data SIM, and I woud like to avoid making any mistakes in setting it up correctly also for the APP catalog (German catalog, only have a German virtual credit card, no US), a few assumptions and questions from my side:

1. Is there an option to register (and profile setup) through Wifi only (as there was for PRE3 with Impostah, or is that not necessary anymore with TUCKERBOX)
    2. Is it best to create a new profile anyway for the 4G and not link it to a PRE3 profile?
    3. If it shouid be locked, is the offering from member siobhanellis still available?

Any other suggestions and tips very welcome, of course. Thanks in advance.
    3) yes it is, and we are back from holiday and giving out unlock codes again.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mullern View Post
    About to become a happy owner of a 4G TP. According to my seller it is originally packed, so I do not know if locked or unlocked yet. Should receive it in about 10 days.

Since I will operate it in Switzerland with a SwISSCOM data SIM, and I woud like to avoid making any mistakes in setting it up correctly also for the APP catalog (German catalog, only have a German virtual credit card, no US), a few assumptions and questions from my side:

1. Is there an option to register (and profile setup) through Wifi only (as there was for PRE3 with Impostah, or is that not necessary anymore with TUCKERBOX)
    2. Is it best to create a new profile anyway for the 4G and not link it to a PRE3 profile?
    3. If it shouid be locked, is the offering from member siobhanellis still available?

Any other suggestions and tips very welcome, of course. Thanks in advance.
    #1: Yes, it will let you go through WiFi
    #2: I put mine on the same profile as my Pre3
    #3: You have the answer already.

You're going to get hooked.

Cheers,
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    my touchpad will not initialize the sim that came with it or any other att sim currently. any suggestions? im about to take it on my first trip and am bummed i cant get data to go. has worked in the past. any ideas?
    I currently have the 64GB White TouchPad. If I get my hands on a TouchPad 4G (any ideas besides eBay?), is there any way I can canibilze my 64GB TouchPad to upgrade the 4G to 64GB of storage?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. It just popped into my head since I've been lusting after the TouchPad Go for months and I figure this would be the next best thing.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    #1: Yes, it will let you go through WiFi
    #2: I put mine on the same profile as my Pre3
    #3: You have the answer already.

You're going to get hooked.

Cheers,
    That sounds encouraging, thanks sioban and twack for your support. I will let you know how it went
    3.0.5 is official for 4G too ?
    - HP Veer --
    Quote Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
    I currently have the 64GB White TouchPad. If I get my hands on a TouchPad 4G (any ideas besides eBay?), is there any way I can canibilze my 64GB TouchPad to upgrade the 4G to 64GB of storage?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. It just popped into my head since I've been lusting after the TouchPad Go for months and I figure this would be the next best thing.
    Theoretically it should be possible, but I haven't heard anyone reporting one and showing off. Let us know if you're successful :-)
    yes it is. mine is already updated.
    Siobhán

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post
    3.0.5 is official for 4G too ?
    Considering that there is a doctor available, here -> AT&T 3G 3.0.5 Doctor, I'd say it's official. Can't say about OTA availability, since I don't have a 3G TouchPad.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Considering that there is a doctor available, here -> AT&T 3G 3.0.5 Doctor, I'd say it's official. Can't say about OTA availability, since I don't have a 3G TouchPad.
    Yes, OTA is available.
    I am looking to purchase a 3G TouchPad to use in India. Is there a way to confirm, before purchasing, if the TouchPad is unlocked and that it will work with a local SIM in India? Thanks.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I am looking to purchase a 3G TouchPad to use in India. Is there a way to confirm, before purchasing, if the TouchPad is unlocked and that it will work with a local SIM in India? Thanks.
    I'll be in Delhi in Feb ;-)
    The nationality of your SIM makes no difference when it is unlocked. It's the frequencies the provider uses. So look at your provider, and the tech specs for the 4G.

As for unlocking. Some seem to be unlocked on arrival. Most are not. Via one of my colleagues in HP, I've been helping to get unlock codes. So far I've helped everyone that has asked. However, I can only do this as long as my contact is willing to keep helping. So, it's a risk.

If you want it unlocked, I need the IMEI and the Serial number.
    Siobhán

diemhenmobile likes this.
    could someone help? I am using a prepaid SIM i previously had on my Veer, with a data package, and i placed it on the TP 4G. The AT&T Communications Manager is stuck at AT&T initializing.
    Just got a Touchpad 4g, I tried putting in my SIM Card from my AT&T iphone and it recognizes my number but it doesn't really show anything else, stuck initializing...
    I was thinking of using my pad as my main phone in order to take advantage of unlimited data & text (grandfathered). Can the pad handle calls, text messages, etc...
    The TP can take calls and text's, but only via a phone. They get transfered by Bluetooth. As yet, no-one has modified the software to do calls, although they have tried.
    Siobhán