Page 15 of 47 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amenditman View Post
    Updating now. Will let you know how it goes a little later.

Oh, "Backup complete!" Gotta go. Be right back.
    Update complete, Android Market still working. All apps, settings, and data still where they belong. I'll play with this for a couple hours today and see what's new.

If only HP/alm would release all WebOS source code to the community we could have this kind of fun in a much better base OS. Android's big advantage is it's mostly open availability. It's not anywhere near as elegant as WebOS.

Oh well.
    Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it. Linux Is For Everyone (L.I.F.E.)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoopc View Post
    it was already unlocked, I see pivot 04 November.
    zoopc,

You are one of the lucky 10 - 20% !

I've suggested it before although its not practical for everyone to do, if you absolutely need an Unlocked Touchpad 4G (because you are not in the USA with AT&T service and need to use it with a different provider), a way to get a hold of one is to sell your locked device then turn around and buy another one, then repeat the process until you hit pay dirt! There's no guarantee you will get one, luck either has to be on your side or it isn't even in the same building with you, but there are unlocked ones floating around and if the device is in original unopened packaging, even the seller wouldn't know whether its unlocked, unless he's providing you with the unlock code too (no doubt he was able to schmooze it out of an HP employee).

Hopefully one of the solutions being worked on will pan out.

P.S. In case there's someone at HP who happens to have access to the db reading this thread, it's ok if you want to email it to me anonymously. I'll be happy to put it somewhere on the Internet where everyone could find it
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Android's big advantage is it's mostly open availability. It's not anywhere near as elegant as WebOS.

Oh well.
    I was just saying the same thing to a friend 5 minutes ago.
    I ended with "Oh well" as well.

The abundance of apps is just overwhelming, but the OS is like jogging through quicksand compared to the flying fish elegance of webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I was just saying the same thing to a friend 5 minutes ago.
    I ended with "Oh well" as well.

The abundance of apps is just overwhelming, but the OS is like jogging through quicksand compared to the flying fish elegance of webOS.
    I tell people all the time:
    Android is like a geeks computer toy with a mess of stuff available. Some of the apps are even usefule/desireable, but most are just crap/someone's fun project. Huge development community with people doing all sorts of stuff you can jump in on. Manufacturer's discourage hacking, rooting, voiding warranty and make it hard. You can easily brick your device, many times permanently.

iOS is pretty, lots of great apps available. But you are kind of locked into their walled garden where it's all available from them for a price. If you can't jailbreak or don't want to void the warranty or don't want to give Apple and partners all your money don't do it. You can easily brick your device, many times permanently.

WebOS gives us a really nice base, great interface, TouchPad is beautiful hardware.
    WebOS Internals is building on top of it with a great community and lots of help to do anything that can be done.
    Other than the void warranty possibility, WebOS is the most hackable-friendly environment available. No jailbreaking/rooting required. Just turn on developer mode. Has anyone ever reported permanently bricking a WebOS device?
    Tweak it 'til it breaks, then learn how to fix it. Linux Is For Everyone (L.I.F.E.)
    rmeigs likes this.
    Has anyone ever reported permanently bricking a WebOS device?
    Yes, mostly modem toying related.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Yes, mostly modem toying related.
    Good to know.
    Android is like a geeks computer toy with a mess of stuff available. Some of the apps are even usefule/desireable, but most are just crap/someone's fun project. Huge development community with people doing all sorts of stuff you can jump in on. Manufacturer's discourage hacking, rooting, voiding warranty and make it hard. You can easily brick your device, many times permanently.

iOS is pretty, lots of great apps available. But you are kind of locked into their walled garden where it's all available from them for a price. If you can't jailbreak or don't want to void the warranty or don't want to give Apple and partners all your money don't do it. You can easily brick your device, many times permanently.

WebOS gives us a really nice base, great interface, TouchPad is beautiful hardware.
    WebOS Internals is building on top of it with a great community and lots of help to do anything that can be done.
    Other than the void warranty possibility, WebOS is the most hackable-friendly environment available. No jailbreaking/rooting required. Just turn on developer mode. Has anyone ever reported permanently bricking a WebOS device?
    There is so much wrong with the above there is no good place to start. It almost sounds like a recording.
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemytouchpad View Post
    Hi all, I am new to pre-central.. mostly lurking till now. I had purchased a 4G, set the data service up with AT&T. All was fine.. till last night. I had noticed it was low on battery. Set it up on the touchstone overnight. This morning, it seems to be completely dead. Not reacting to being on the touchstone, nor being charged through the wall charger. Tried holding on button and navigation button down for 20seconds..nothing.. wanted to see if anyone had seen this? I am planning on calling HP for help with this.. thoughts? appreciate the help.
    Hi All,

Getting somewhat desperate.. no support from HP on the 4G. The Touchpad is fully bricked at this point. I have searched to find any instances like what I am experiencing to no avail. Touchpad was running webos 3.0.1 if I recall correctly.

Any pointers to troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    No user has ever bricked a device using published homebrew.

The very few people who have bricked a device (and I can count them on two hands) have been doing bare-metal modem or A6 charging controller hacking, which is never done in published homebrew.

So if you stick to stuff you see in Preware, you can be 100% sure you will not brick your device.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    No user has ever bricked a device using published homebrew.

The very few people who have bricked a device (and I can count them on two hands) have been doing bare-metal modem or A6 charging controller hacking, which is never done in published homebrew.

So if you stick to stuff you see in Preware, you can be 100% sure you will not brick your device.

-- Rod
    That is a truly amazing difference. There are legions of android and iOS bricks. Some of the hacks to root/jailbreak are so complicated it is amazing that they ever work.
    Free TV on any Android device - Get the free Yamgo TV app TODAY!
    Channel S

I'm sorry, but there is no possible way to brick an iOS device, even if you do "brick" an iOS device, you can always resort to the built in DFU mode to restore, apart from the Recovery mode which would be inaccessible if "bricked". It's impossible to brick them, the barebones to allow a restore resides on a part of the chip that CANNOT be modified. Android devices on the other hand require you to flash custom stuff onto the chip, which is hardware related, and if that goes wrong, then yes, you are bricked, but not on an iOS device.
    Could someone retrieve sim-unlock code list from HP ?????

i'm still dreaming ...i know
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    zoopc,

You are one of the lucky 10 - 20% !

I've suggested it before although its not practical for everyone to do, if you absolutely need an Unlocked Touchpad 4G (because you are not in the USA with AT&T service and need to use it with a different provider), a way to get a hold of one is to sell your locked device then turn around and buy another one, then repeat the process until you hit pay dirt! There's no guarantee you will get one, luck either has to be on your side or it isn't even in the same building with you, but there are unlocked ones floating around and if the device is in original unopened packaging, even the seller wouldn't know whether its unlocked, unless he's providing you with the unlock code too (no doubt he was able to schmooze it out of an HP employee).

Hopefully one of the solutions being worked on will pan out.

P.S. In case there's someone at HP who happens to have access to the db reading this thread, it's ok if you want to email it to me anonymously. I'll be happy to put it somewhere on the Internet where everyone could find it
    TopTongue since you are keeping track of Unlocked Touchpads you can count mine as UNLOCKED. I bought it off ebay and got quite a good deal. It works with my T Mobile 4G sim.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewjj View Post
    TopTongue since you are keeping track of Unlocked Touchpads you can count mine as UNLOCKED. I bought it off ebay and got quite a good deal. It works with my T Mobile 4G sim.
    I just received my Touchpad 4g (fb354ua#aba) and yes I'm one of the lucky ones. No problem using my Vodafone SIM here in New Zealand. Interesting is that the Touchpad 4g came with an ATT sim inside. I changed it before I turned it on the first time. Is there a chance that the device only locks itself during first boot and having ATT sim aboard? Just wondering.

In device information under device the 'number' is blank. Is that normal? Any ideas what should show in that field?

But not all is good. I ended up with some issues.
    1) From time to time it makes noises. Likely coming from an internal fan in trouble. Does anyone else has this. Couldn't find other issues with fan and Touchpad in the forums. Is it a fan or are there any other moving parts in Touchpad in general or 4g specific? It seems to be related to some processor stress. Is there a processor fan?
    As we 4g owners are not likely to receive any warranty from HP, any suggestions what to do without ending up with a crackpad?

2) I used my existing Touchpad profile when starting with Touchpad 4g. That is probably not a good idea. Although I managed to upgrade to 3.04, the app catalogue is stuck and trying to show a phone sized window. It still says app catalogue but screen stays blank. Updating other apps don't work either. I guess the best/easiest solution is to start over again?
    Edit: Fixed. Had to install with new profile first, wipe for second time and install with existing profile. Still had to retry a couple of apps including app catalogue, but it works now. Obviously not 4g related
    Last edited by renater; 11/27/2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Update issue 2
    orc99 likes this.
    There are no fans or moving parts inside a TouchPad of any flavour.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There are no fans or moving parts inside a TouchPad of any flavour.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod for the confirmation. I thought I went crazy. The noise is still there though. Playing with the sound; it doesn't decrease or increase with volume levels though. However I noticed that the right audio speaker doesn't work and seems to produce this strange noise when other sounds are produced (e.g. Keyboard clicks or system sounds). Just ran diagnostics, but that doesn't make me any wiser. Problem persists. Have seen a lot of issues with Touchpads but this seems rather unique, hope it is not 4g related. Anyone else ideas on this one? Maybe I should move to separate thread with this item?
    Edit: disabling keyboard and system sounds is a workaround but doesn't fix speaker. E.g. When playing radio or music still same issue. I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. Unlocked Touchpad 4g without decent sound. I can't have it all obviously. No luck there
    Last edited by renater; 11/27/2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Update edit
    Quote Originally Posted by renater View Post
    Is there a chance that the device only locks itself during first boot and having ATT sim aboard? Just wondering.
    Wish it was that easy. Unfortunately not. I've powered up a locked one for the first time with a T-Mo sim inside and had the enter network subsidy code message pop up before it could be activated.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Wish it was that easy. Unfortunately not. I've powered up a locked one for the first time with a T-Mo sim inside and had the enter network subsidy code message pop up before it could be activated.
    go go Top ! Make dream us !!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by appulo View Post
    go go Top ! Make dream us !!!!!!
    No chance on earth (not this one) any commboard is locked this way.