webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > 4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
4G TouchPad Owners Lounge
Like Tree77Likes

Old 11/04/2011, 05:29 PM   #201 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verell View Post
What is the most effective way to pester HP to get the OTA 3.0.4 for TP 4G released?

Or at least get them to fix the APP catalog problems with the 3.0.4 for TP 4G webosdoctor that's available from the WebOSDocter versions wicki page?
Help them find a buyer for webOS ?

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TopTongueBarry, SunnyPhono and Filjosh like this.
Old 11/05/2011, 08:07 PM   #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
As usual, Palm support do not know what they are talking about.

Do not use a Wifi TP doctor on a 4G TP.

In fact, at the moment, do not use any 3.0.4 doctor (there is one available on our WebOS Doctor Versions wiki page) on a 4G TP, lest you get locked out of the app catalog as a result.

-- Rod
Is the app catalog lockout permanent, or will doctoring back to 3.0.1 re-enable it?
Verell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2011, 08:13 PM   #203 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Is the app catalog lockout permanent, or will doctoring back to 3.0.1 re-enable it?
The only way I know of resetting it is to change the tokens to impersonate another device, log in with that, then change them back, and log in again.

That worked for me with a Pre 3.

-- Rod
Old 11/05/2011, 08:33 PM   #204 (permalink)

Quote:
The only way I know of resetting it is to change the tokens to impersonate another device, log in with that, then change them back, and log in again.
That's beyond my current WebOS knowledge level, I'm a newbie to WebOS even tho I did kernel mode programming on VMS for 20 or so years. What seems would be nice at this point in time would be patch to the ATT 3.0.4 WebOSdoctor to change the reported version to 3.0.4 instead of 9.9.9, Again, beyond my skill level(sigh).

I can live with 3.0.2 for now I guess, am just concerned that I'll be stuck there forever(sigh).

Last edited by Verell; 11/05/2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11/05/2011, 08:52 PM   #205 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
That's beyond my current WebOS knowledge level, I'm a newbie to WebOS even tho I did kernel mode programming on VMS for 20 or so years. What seems would be nice at this point in time would be patch to the ATT 3.0.4 WebOSdoctor to change the reported version to 3.0.4 instead of 9.9.9, Again, beyond my skill level(sigh).

I can live with 3.0.2 for now I guess, am just concerned that I'll be stuck there forever(sigh).
No patch on the device or doctor can change what is stored on the profile server. 9.9.9 is bad news.

-- Rod
Old 11/05/2011, 11:19 PM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:

you are not stuck -- I have myself gone to 3.0.4 only to find myself locked out of the app catalog. The good news is that if you doctor your TP with the doctor you can download via you palm profile on http://palm.com/Rom then everything will reset and you'll be a happy camper...

ps.: I think I have found a backdoor to get 3.0.4 on the 4g TP while not screwing up your profile, once I confirm it to work, I'll post instructions in this thread
MrBuffet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2011, 01:27 PM   #207 (permalink)

all,

as promised here is a recipe for installing 3.0.4 successfully on a 4G AT&T TP.

the trick is really not a new one, and credit should go to the people who discovered this as part of the 9.9.9 debacle on the Sprint Pre2.

That said here is how you do it.

1. Back-up your TP (running 3.0.2) so you are sure your settings are in your profile
2. Install pre-ware (if you do not already have it installed
3. Install your favorite linux command-line shell (I use Xecutah)
4. Using your shell, copy the 'palm-build-info' file from /etc to your favorite location (I personally copied it to /media/internal/etc_backup, as that is on the internal USB stick, and hence does not get deleted when you do a doctor)
5. Using your shell, copy the 'palm-build-info' and 'palm-customization-info' files from /etc/palm to your favorite location (I personally copied it to /media/internal/etc_backup/palm, as that is on the internal USB stick, and hence does not get deleted when you do a doctor), make sure you keep the directories separate!
6. Now doctor you TP using the 3.0.4 doctor from webOS-internals
7. Once doctored and faced with the activation screen, activate using a TEMPORARY account (not your main account where your app profiles etc. Was backed up to in step 1)
8. You will get an error message, and if you log into your temporary palm profile you will notice the dreaded OS version of 9.9.9. Also notice that your app catalog etc. Does not work
9. Once again install pre-ware and a linux style command shell
10. Using the shell you copy the 3 files you copied in step 4 and 5 BACK TO THE ORIGINAL LOCATION, thereby overwriting the newly installed files from the 3.0.4 doctor
11. Now go into device info and reset you TP using the "Erase Apps & Data" option.
12. Once the TP comes back to life you will once again be faced with activation screens -- however this time around login using you main profile (the one you backed up to in step 1).
13 Voila !! You are now on 3.0.4 with a reported version in your palm profile of 3.0.2, and you restore will work flawlessly as will you app catalog.

now there are still a few things I need to sort out as you do not have access to 3.0.4 patches as the app catalog *thinks* you are running 3.0.2. This means that patches to apps that are 3.0.4 specific may not flow to you.

That said, it looks like we can get around that too, I'll work on that next, so expect another update to this recipe.

in the meantime enjoy the vanilla 3.0.4 with all your apps on your AT&T TP.
Liked by Verell likes this.
Thanked By: Verell
Old 11/06/2011, 02:24 PM   #208 (permalink)
Developer

This is the standard meta-doctor masquerade technique. Change the version number in the first line of that file (keep the rest as-is) and the other problems you had will be sorted (reboot after changing it).

If people are really keen we could write a simple meta-doctor script to do all the above in one step.

-- Rod
Old 11/06/2011, 02:47 PM   #209 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranting View Post
This is the standard meta-doctor masquerade technique. Change the version number in the first line of that file (keep the rest as-is) and the other problems you had will be sorted (reboot after changing it).

If people are really keen we could write a simple meta-doctor script to do all the above in one step.

-- Rod
Rod,

not saying in anyway that this is invented by me (as you can see I actually gave the credit to you guys).

I was simply reacting to the fact that several people have asked for 3.0.4, so I wanted them to have the opportunity to install 3.0.4 and still have access to the app catalog.

I you have the time to do a meta-doctor, that would be awesome and much appreciated by many.

the reason why I went forward with this was that I was under the impression you were busy with doing a Palm Profile server alternate, in case the real ones goes off-line, so I did not want to bug you.

that said I'm getting the impression that 3.0.5/3.0.6 is just around the corner (I believe some developers have already been given access), so maybe it is a waste of time -- but I'll let you and your workload decide that

</Peter>
Old 11/06/2011, 04:57 PM   #210 (permalink)
Developer

It's all cool, mate. Might take a look at doing a script, but still hoping for an OTA, so don't want to doctor my 3GTP to test it. -- Rod
Old 11/06/2011, 08:41 PM   #211 (permalink)

I just discovered that Quickoffice can create docs & spreadsheets. Thought I only got that with 3.0.4. Addresses one of my larger concerns about moving to 3.0.4.

I'm willing to hold off for a few weeks to see if a 3.0.5/3.0.6 appears that addresses the worst of the bugs introduced in 3.0.4.

BTW, could the masquerade technique be used to get the 4G to masquerade as a WiFI 3.0.4 WebOS so the 3.0.4 app patches would get applied?

Last edited by Verell; 11/06/2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11/06/2011, 10:19 PM   #212 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
BTW, could the masquerade technique be used to get the 4G to masquerade as a WiFI 3.0.4 WebOS so the 3.0.4 app patches would get applied?
What patches are available for 3.0.4 which are not also available for 3.0.2 ?

-- Rod
Old 11/07/2011, 10:18 AM   #213 (permalink)

Quote:
It's all cool, mate. Might take a look at doing a script, but still hoping for an OTA, so don't want to doctor my 3GTP to test it. -- Rod
Rod,

I rebuilt that crushed AT&T Touchpad 4G 64GB with parts from a firesale 16GB TP and it is now working flawlessly. It and me are available for testing if you want to work on a script. Although it's a DVT model, the production AT&T TP 4G doctors install just fine.
Let me know if I can be of assistance if you decide to work on this script.

Barry

btw - in case you or anyone's wondering what it took to bring it back to life, it needed the USB board, video/touch board, battery and of course the LCD out of the 16 GB TP (pretty much everything except the main board, speakers and Ericsson data card needed to be replaced) plus the 3G and GPS antennas out of a HP netbook. Once I had it up and running I also made another nice find...... popped a TMO SIM into it and it worked - discovered its unlocked too! Doubt getting run over by a car did that, but who knows??? Kids, don't try this at home, please.

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/07/2011 at 10:36 AM.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/07/2011, 11:52 AM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
What patches are available for 3.0.4 which are not also available for 3.0.2 ?

-- Rod
I was reacting to MrBuffet's statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBuffet View Post
all,
...now there are still a few things I need to sort out as you do not have access to 3.0.4 patches as the app catalog *thinks* you are running 3.0.2. This means that patches to apps that are 3.0.4 specific may not flow to you. ...
Old 11/08/2011, 05:43 PM   #215 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
I rebuilt that crushed AT&T Touchpad 4G 64GB with parts from a firesale 16GB TP and it is now working flawlessly. It and me are available for testing if you want to work on a script. Although it's a DVT model, the production AT&T TP 4G doctors install just fine.
Let me know if I can be of assistance if you decide to work on this script.
Try ./scripts/meta-att-touchpad-3.0.4

It should masquerade as 3.0.2 to the profile server and app catalog, but report as 3.0.4 to apps and preware.

-- Rod
Old 11/09/2011, 12:25 AM   #216 (permalink)

Quote:

It should masquerade as 3.0.2 to the profile server and app catalog, but report as 3.0.4 to apps and preware.

-- Rod
Rod,

It works as designed. Camera, VIDEO RECORDING, App Cat, HP Profile, everything I've tested so far is good to go. Doesn't kick the phone off profile either

Have not put it on the Touchstone with its case on yet. It'd be a nice surprise if it charges out of the blue, although I don't necessarily expect that.

Will let you know if I discover any anomolies.

You are truly the King of webOS!

Thanks from all of us,
Barry

P.S. Don't forget to donate to WebOS Internals for all their work.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=9044086
All donations go back into development.

Attached Images
File Type: png deviceinfo1.png (30.4 KB, 216 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg profile.jpg (31.9 KB, 213 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png app_cat_tp304.png (138.0 KB, 214 views) Email Attachment
File Type: png pivot_nov.png (287.8 KB, 214 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/09/2011 at 01:00 AM.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2011, 09:14 AM   #217 (permalink)

Have you tried browsing to over 3/4G? I've heard there were issues...
mrbell321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2011, 10:27 AM   #218 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbell321 View Post
Have you tried browsing to over 3/4G? I've heard there were issues...
Done two TP 4G upgrades to this meta-doctor AT&T TP 4G 3.0.4 version and so far, everything seems hunky dory on both. I haven't experienced any troubles browsing while connected over 4G yet and the Touchstone charger even charges the Touchpad's battery with its folio cover on!

Need to remember the 3.0.4 doctor released for the AT&T TP 4G that Rod's script uses as its base is a different build then the 3.04 doctor released for the WiFi TP's. While both exhibited common problems, some issues might have been isolated to one doctor (version) or the other.

I'd say this one passes QC.

TTB
Old 11/09/2011, 04:10 PM   #219 (permalink)
Banned

OK sounds great. Will probably MD as well then and move to a US settings profile.
UK profile on a TP4G equals the July Pivot Edition LOL.
GuyFromNam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2011, 11:10 PM   #220 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
Hats off to you Rod for the script & to Barry for testing it!!

Now that Barry has proven it works, I'd like to try using it.

Barry, I'm assuming you were using:

webosdoctorp304hstnhatt-3.0.4.jar

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

It looks like the ./scripts/meta... path starts at the root of a filesystem but I don't know where to locate it on the web, can you give me a pointer?

Also, could you give me a pointer to instrictions on using this kind of a script?

An interesting question: What would happen if a real OTA ATT 3.0.4 becomes available after applying the MD script?

Last edited by Verell; 11/09/2011 at 11:16 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0