11/06/2011, 01:27 PM
as promised here is a recipe for installing 3.0.4 successfully on a 4G AT&T TP.
the trick is really not a new one, and credit should go to the people who discovered this as part of the 9.9.9 debacle on the Sprint Pre2.
That said here is how you do it.
1. Back-up your TP (running 3.0.2) so you are sure your settings are in your profile
2. Install pre-ware (if you do not already have it installed
3. Install your favorite linux command-line shell (I use Xecutah)
4. Using your shell, copy the 'palm-build-info' file from /etc to your favorite location (I personally copied it to /media/internal/etc_backup, as that is on the internal USB stick, and hence does not get deleted when you do a doctor)
5. Using your shell, copy the 'palm-build-info' and 'palm-customization-info' files from /etc/palm to your favorite location (I personally copied it to /media/internal/etc_backup/palm, as that is on the internal USB stick, and hence does not get deleted when you do a doctor), make sure you keep the directories separate!
6. Now doctor you TP using the 3.0.4 doctor from webOS-internals
7. Once doctored and faced with the activation screen, activate using a TEMPORARY account (not your main account where your app profiles etc. Was backed up to in step 1)
8. You will get an error message, and if you log into your temporary palm profile you will notice the dreaded OS version of 9.9.9. Also notice that your app catalog etc. Does not work
9. Once again install pre-ware and a linux style command shell
10. Using the shell you copy the 3 files you copied in step 4 and 5 BACK TO THE ORIGINAL LOCATION, thereby overwriting the newly installed files from the 3.0.4 doctor
11. Now go into device info and reset you TP using the "Erase Apps & Data" option.
12. Once the TP comes back to life you will once again be faced with activation screens -- however this time around login using you main profile (the one you backed up to in step 1).
13 Voila !! You are now on 3.0.4 with a reported version in your palm profile of 3.0.2, and you restore will work flawlessly as will you app catalog.
now there are still a few things I need to sort out as you do not have access to 3.0.4 patches as the app catalog *thinks* you are running 3.0.2. This means that patches to apps that are 3.0.4 specific may not flow to you.
That said, it looks like we can get around that too, I'll work on that next, so expect another update to this recipe.
in the meantime enjoy the vanilla 3.0.4 with all your apps on your AT&T TP.