webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP TouchPad 16GB, Wi-Fi + 3G (Unlocked) ?!?
HP TouchPad 16GB, Wi-Fi + 3G (Unlocked) ?!?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie

Old 10/05/2011, 09:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Is this for real?

HP TouchPad 16GB, Wi-Fi + 3G (Unlocked)

I was browsing around "the bay" and found this listing just a little bit before it ended. I placed my bid, and ended up winning the auction.

I came over here to pre|central to find out more about my new device. I thought I had scored a WWAN Touchpad for a steal, now I'm not so sure.
I can find no reference to any device that is 16GB and 3G. All I can find is the AT&T 4G 32GB touchpad.

Maybe a special model? Maybe the seller doesn't know the difference? Maybe they are dishonest?
The funny thing is that it appears that they used one of the bay's built in spec sheets which clearly has 3G specs. Is this an as yet unknown model?
I'm thinking of backing out, instead of possibly having to go through the resolution process to return it if not legit.

Any insight from the community would be appreciated!

So legit or not?
sunriseshell#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would contact the sell and confirm / ask for pics of the box that shows (3G). It clearly list the version on the UPC sticker on the box.

Mo.
thorsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

thats the UPC for the regular 16GB touchpad. it just says 3G because thats how ebay listed it, which is a mistake.
CaCHooKaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

A lot of people think that the serial number tray is a sim tray. This is probably what has happened in this case (assuming that the seller isn't just being dishonest).

I'm especially inclined to believe this since the UPC number listed on the auction is the standard one for a black WiFi 16gb touchpad (source: UPC Database: Item Record)

Hope that helps
grindboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 09:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
thats the UPC for the regular 16GB touchpad. it just says 3G because thats how ebay listed it, which is a mistake.
When you list you choose the product spec sheet. This is the only one I've come across on the bay.

What I wonder is why are these specs even an option? Maybe there was a model with these specs planned.

If the UPC is right than I guess its just a regular TP.
Old 10/05/2011, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

32 GB Product number for TP with 3G/4G = FB354UA#ABA
32 GB Product number with just WiFi = FB359UA#ABA
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

I spotted this a few weeks ago too.. the 'Wifi 3G Unlocked' Ebay label that is.
I would have loved a 3/4G unit so I asked the vendor to really tell me if it was '3G - Unlocked' or NOT.. one vendor muttered about it being 'unlocked' because he had switched 'Developer Mode' to 'ON' and I got the response from another vendor that it was Wifi only and that the item description was 'mistaken', but had not put up by him.. but instead by Ebay themselves as a 'standard' (mistaken) TouchPad description 'spiel'.

I call it distinctly misleading!

And sure, the SIM tray ACTS as an info-label in Wifi-only models.. but also when actually fitted with the appropriate internal circuit boards etc on the 3/4G models (which I beleve are only Black 32Gb versions. The White 64Gb version was also Wifi only?) happily plugs Ya SIM into the proceedings too!

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rs-lounge.html

Rare Birds!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/05/2011 at 10:10 AM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 10:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
I spotted this a few weeks ago too.. the 'Wifi 3G Unlocked' Ebay label that is.
I would have loved a 3/4G unit so I asked the vendor to really tell me if it was '3G - Unlocked' or NOT.. one vendor muttered about it being 'unlocked' because he had switched 'Developer Mode' to 'ON' and I got the response from another vendor that it was Wifi only and that the item description was 'mistaken', but had not put up by him.. but instead by Ebay themselves as a 'standard' (mistaken) TouchPad description 'spiel'.

I call it distinctly misleading!

And sure, the SIM tray ACTS as an info-label in Wifi-only models.. but also when actually fitted with the appropriate internal circuit boards etc on the 3/4G models (which I beleve are only Black 32Gb versions. The White 64Gb version was also Wifi only?) happily plugs Ya SIM into the proceedings too!

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rs-lounge.html

Rare Birds!

I can see selecting the wrong spec sheet, but the title is entered manually. Though if I thought I picked the right one, I would probably base my title on those specs.
He also used the Android app. I've only used it to bid, not create an auction so the title may auto populate.

Still I don't understand why those specs are even an option if that model never existed.
Old 10/05/2011, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunriseshell View Post
I can see selecting the wrong spec sheet, but the title is entered manually. Though if I thought I picked the right one, I would probably base my title on those specs.
He also used the Android app. I've only used it to bid, not create an auction so the title may auto populate.

Still I don't understand why those specs are even an option if that model never existed.
Some Ebay or vendor geek probably just copy/pasted it from the first HP TouchPad spec-sheet release they came across.. and it 'stuck'?
I noticed that there were many with this description.

That's what I'm trying to say 2 U.. the 3/4G model DOES exist! - I want one too!

Look--> Click on this: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rs-lounge.html

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/05/2011 at 10:54 AM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
Some Ebay or vendor geek probably just copy/pasted it from the first HP TouchPad spec-sheet release they came across.. and it 'stuck'?
I noticed that there were many with this description.

That's what I'm trying to say 2 U.. the 3/4G model DOES exist! - I want one too!

Look--> Click on this: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...rs-lounge.html

Yeah but a 16GB 3G/4G, don't think that exists.
Old 10/05/2011, 04:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunriseshell View Post
Yeah but a 16GB 3G/4G, don't think that exists.
Nope, it doesn't. You could probably dispute the auction through eBay if you wanted to, since the product is not as advertised. Of course eBay will expect that you have actually received the item before you determine that it is not as advertised.
Old 10/05/2011, 04:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

the good news is that isn't a horrible price for a 16gb wifi touchpad. Or you can contest it as an invalid listing, since there isn't any indication that a 16gb 3g device was ever planned or buikt.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2011, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
the good news is that isn't a horrible price for a 16gb wifi touchpad. Or you can contest it as an invalid listing, since there isn't any indication that a 16gb 3g device was ever planned or buikt.
Yeah that's what I'm gonna try to do, instead of waiting for it to arrive and then go through the process. I've never had to back out of a bid so we'll see. Only two times have I had to return something where it was "significantly not as advertised" through the resolution process. It works when all else fails.
Old 01/21/2013, 07:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

would the FB354UA#ABA work in europe ?

one i am looking at says At&T on it
gderoiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 08:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gderoiste View Post
would the FB354UA#ABA work in europe ?

one i am looking at says At&T on it
Yes it does, however it will only do 3G or Faux 4G (HSDPA+), not real 4G. I have one and it works fine. I'll be replacing the modem card soon with a Sierra Wireless MC7710 one instead of a SonyEricsson one, so I can have proper 4G here in Europe
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 08:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
Yes it does, however it will only do 3G or Faux 4G (HSDPA+), not real 4G. I have one and it works fine. I'll be replacing the modem card soon with a Sierra Wireless MC7710 one instead of a SonyEricsson one, so I can have proper 4G here in Europe
Many thanks ...
how difficult do you think that is to replace ?
gderoiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 09:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gderoiste View Post
Many thanks ...
how difficult do you think that is to replace ?
Opening the TP without damaging it will be the most difficult, replacing the card, is just disconnecting 2 cables, removing the card, placing the new card and reconnecting the wires
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gderoiste likes this.
Thanked By: gderoiste

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0