Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    I did some fact-finding to see how much disk is wasted by using FAT32 and comparing it to ext3fs and NTFS:

The OpenStreetMap files are tiny, often 1k in size. The potential for wasted disk space is enormous.

These files were originally downloaded using jTileDownloader to my NTFS box. Windows Server says that the tiles were 96.9 Megabytes in size, but consumed 278 Megabytes of disk. That's a factor of 2.9x wasted space for NTFS.

On the TouchPad, I created an ext3fs container 300 meg in size and mounted it to /media/internal/.MapTool.

I copied the downloaded tiles to the ext3fs container on the TouchPad. When done, 'du -sh' reported 142.2 Meg disk space used by the tiles. That's a factor of 1.5x wasted space for ext3fs.

I copied the same files to TouchPad's FAT32 native file system. When done, 'du -sh' reported 2.0 Gig disk space used by the tiles. To verify, I did 'df -h' before and after the copy. 'df' reported a 2.0 gig change in disk space usage. That's a factor of 20.6x wasted space!

In summary:

- 20.6: TouchPad's FAT32 native disk format wasted space factor (wastes 1.9 Gig)
    - 2.9: NTFS's wasted space factor (wastes 181 meg)
    - 1.5: ext3fs's wasted space factor (wastes 45.3 meg)
    That's a lot...
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    MetaView,

Loving MapTool Pro. With the external Bluetooth GPS, it's become rather useful. I use it to fix the maps on OpenStreetMap.org. I've been spending a lot of time on that site, fixing maps in my area. I use MapTool Pro to help me find bad maps and the verify my fixes.

This is a feature request. I'm wondering if we can have a settings page where we can view the GPS status - things like number of satellites, where they are (many GPS units have this where they show you graphically the satellites it's found), etc etc.

Thx!
    FYI.

I found that if a filesystem is mounted within /media/internal, the USB drive will not work.

What results is the "USB drive connection failed" "Please toss away all cards and try again" message.

One has to make sure it won't mount automatically at boot (e.g. edit /etc/fstab), then reboot. Merely unmounting the filesystem is insufficient to make the problem go away. It also seems that it cannot ever be mounted if one desires to use the TP as a USB drive.

Only then will the TouchPad allow the PC to use it as a USB drive. Arrrrgh!!!!

So, the caveat is that if you want to use the TP as a USB drive, boot it such that it doesn't have any filesystem mounts in /media/internal, do your USB drive stuff. You can mount the filesystems afterward.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    MetaView,
    This is a feature request. I'm wondering if we can have a settings page where we can view the GPS status - things like number of satellites, where they are (many GPS units have this where they show you graphically the satellites it's found), etc etc.
    Ok, let's start with a table representation of satellite data in the next update. I'll will transform it into a graphical form later.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    That would be wonderful. Thanks so much.
    Hi,
    Has anyone tried the maptool pro's track log? Sometimes the track log file on my touchpad isn't save to the disk, after repeatedly clicking save current track. The track log feature is rather hit and miss. I find that Maptool pro is very useful especially the off-line map cache plus external bluetooth gps. If there's pinch to zoom feature it'll be perfect.
    Maybe it's just me, but the TP seems a bit big to use as a GPS in a car. If someone really wanted to do it, setting up an A/C inverter Touchstone charger and usb power source to keep the gps going, it might be pretty slick, but still too large IMHO.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but the TP seems a bit big to use as a GPS in a car. If someone really wanted to do it, setting up an A/C inverter Touchstone charger and usb power source to keep the gps going, it might be pretty slick, but still too large IMHO.
    It's not that complicated. Just pick up a car charger:

Power 4 Industries Mini Dual USB Car Charger (1A and 2.1A Output Power) for iPad, iPod, iPhone, Blackberry, Zune, Kindle, Nook, HP TouchPad, Amazon Kindle Fire

Throw in a mount and you have a nice, easy to read GPS unit:

PH-PAD+ME-10RL: ​ 12" Long Windshield Mount for iPad 1/2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, HP TouchPad, Motorola Xoom, Blackberry Playbook, Superpad, Acer Iconia, Viewsonic Viewpad gTablet

'..It's not that complicated. Just pick up a car charger:..'

Hhmm.. maybe; maybe not:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ouchpad-8.html

(Bigga the screen the betta IMHO!)

Quote Originally Posted by ee9clh View Post
    Hi,
    Has anyone tried the maptool pro's track log? Sometimes the track log file on my touchpad isn't save to the disk, after repeatedly clicking save current track. The track log feature is rather hit and miss. I find that Maptool pro is very useful especially the off-line map cache plus external bluetooth gps. If there's pinch to zoom feature it'll be perfect.
    All your tracks are saved to an internal database. You can access this list of tracks at anytime by tapping the zoom value and select 'List Tracks' from the popup menu. The save track to disc (which is in fact an export as gpx) needs an online connection and sends the data to an external server and directly downloads it from there. Means you track your way and later when you are at home with wifi connection, you export any track you want.

Pinch to zoom is something which would mentally kill me during implementation
    So what is the Bluetooth gps receiver that most people are using on this thread? The TomTom MKII?
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Nemesis View Post
    So what is the Bluetooth gps receiver that most people are using on this thread? The TomTom MKII?
    Or see Post #5 here.

I use a Holux GPSlim236, which is quite a good device.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    '..It's not that complicated. Just pick up a car charger:..'

Hhmm.. maybe; maybe not:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ouchpad-8.html

(Bigga the screen the betta IMHO!)

I have so many things to plug in I'd be better off with an inverter hooked directly to the battery terminals and running a power strip across the roof. lol. TP works well with my Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go MiFi 2200. That only gets 4 hours per charge if I'm lucky so that's always plugged in to the cigarette lighter. I haven't picked up a BT GPS to try yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    I have so many things to plug in I'd be better off with an inverter hooked directly to the battery terminals and running a power strip across the roof. lol. TP works well with my Virgin Mobile Broadband2Go MiFi 2200. That only gets 4 hours per charge if I'm lucky so that's always plugged in to the cigarette lighter. I haven't picked up a BT GPS to try yet.
    Same here with ZTE MF60 'MiFi' unit. Awaiting delivery of 'keychain' BT GPS unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_B View Post
    I have so many things to plug in I'd be better off with an inverter hooked directly to the battery terminals and running a power strip across the roof. lol.
    LOL. Makes you wonder, with all the gadgets they put into cars these days and all the junk we need to plug in, why no car makers have factory installed power strips in the consoles yet.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

hello, sorry for mi poor english.
    today i instal android on my TP, i install too, bluetooth gps and sygic from android market.
    sygic gave me error because of external receiver so with file manager i open settings.ini and change internal for external to permit using my holux gpslim 256.
    i download spain maps and i've got 9,7' gps!!!
    Car makers skim on 20 cents worth of grease like Toyota did... Do you really think they would invest $$ to enable power in the car? Unless a marketing study shows them they will grow market by double digits if they do so, don't hold your breath...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

Quote Originally Posted by RICKV View Post
    OK I guess that while some application like NAVIT allow you to save North Americas for about 2 Gb of Disk space, MapTool uses a different MAP technology hence the viewed area requires more tiles and disk space for the same sort of coverage...

Does not solve my quest for a GPS like functionality on the TP.

Thank you very much for your help in any cases.
    Just new to Maptool Pro. YOu touched on a limitation of trying to turn a tablet (particularly one without 3G/4G service) into a gps. In an ideal world, I'd like to be able to take my tablet anywhere (or go anywhere virtually), zoom in from national scale to state to county to city to my front patio -- and anywhere in between. And see both map detail and aerial photo, at my choosing. The problem with a non-internet connected tablet is that you'd have to store terrabytes of data (I'm guessing), when at any given time, you only need kilobytes.

In my mind, this makes a 3G/4G unit (iPad, Touchpad, or whatever) indispensible if GPS is that killer app you're looking for.

The other solution is to cover your entire area from a very low zoom level while wifi-connected -- i.e. zoom way out so you see the eastern half of the U.S. Cache it (plus maybe one higher zoom level). And, if you know you're going to travel to Little Hope, Texas; Cuckold's Creek, S.C.; or whatever, you zoom into those towns, and Cache say from zoom=12 to zoom=16.

Certainly clunky, but if you plan ahead, you can have good map data on the ground - even if you get out of range of 3G/4G.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast