Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    I've enabled the GPS string and it found my location.
    Can someone point me (or write up) step-by-step for downloading the maps. For instance, there is a program to download I saw, does it install on the mac or on the pre?
    Do I have to log into some website to find my addresses?

Once I see how easy or hard this is, I'd like to determine whether to install it for my friend as an alternative to his Tom-Tom (he does not have vzw navigator). He's not incredibly tech oriented but he is very good at reading maps, better than me, and he does a lot of traveling.
    You have at least 3 possibilities:

1. when you didn't disable "Smart Caching" in settings, MTP will cache every tile it shows
    2. there is a "Cache Area" menu item, which caches the part you just watch in a selectable zoom range, from current zoom up to level 16
    3. JTileDownloader (a java application for your desktop computer) downloads a selectable area for selected zoom levels

There are other map tile creation apps for desktop computers, which I never tried but reported to work.

When you download the tiles on your desktop computer you need to copy the created folders (named by zoom level) to the USB partion of your TouchPad in the directory .MapTool
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    OK I guess that while some application like NAVIT allow you to save North Americas for about 2 Gb of Disk space, MapTool uses a different MAP technology hence the viewed area requires more tiles and disk space for the same sort of coverage...

Does not solve my quest for a GPS like functionality on the TP.

Thank you very much for your help in any cases.
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

Quote Originally Posted by RICKV View Post
    OK I guess that while some application like NAVIT allow you to save North Americas for about 2 Gb of Disk space, MapTool uses a different MAP technology hence the viewed area requires more tiles and disk space for the same sort of coverage...

Does not solve my quest for a GPS like functionality on the TP.

Thank you very much for your help in any cases.
    I believe the developers for Navit have some plans to port BT GPS receiver.
  5.    #125  
    Metaview / Henk,

is there a way to set the maptool app so that when I'm driving, the direction is always pointing up, like some nav programs do? The app orientation feature seems to only rotate the program around. Thanks.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3203770 - AT&T Navigator Works on the Touchpad 4G

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahunabill View Post
    Metaview / Henk,

is there a way to set the maptool app so that when I'm driving, the direction is always pointing up, like some nav programs do? The app orientation feature seems to only rotate the program around. Thanks.
    No, and I'm not sure, if I'm able to do. I will give it a try, but can't promise anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    Just checked the android market and there are a few bluetooth gps apps to try out, Hopefully some of them will work with the touchpad.
    Has anyone tried using an android phone's GPS with a touchpad navigation app yet ?
    Yep I got mine connected to my Moto Bravo last week, check out the thread

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...phone-gps.html
    I received my BT GPS yesterday then I bought Maptools Pro. It works GREAT. It's amazing how far away from the BT GPS Receiver the Touchpad can be. I've had it 30 feet away! I was in the restaurant and left the BT GPS Receiver on the dash of my car. I took the TP in the restaurant with me and the TP remained connected to the BT GPS Receiver.

The compass is a REALLY nice touch. Also, I really like that both 'ribbons' (at top and bottom) are translucent.

I have some feature requests:

1. Can we have a way to choose the font size for the text GPS information at the bottom? This is the stuff that is updated continuously (time, date, error, altitude, elevation, speed, etc). Would be really handy to choose the font size. I like the current size but sometimes I wish I could change the size back and forth.

2. Could we have, in the top ribbon where the Lat and Long is, selectable information? Would be cool to be able to display, at our choosing, things like altitude, speed, Grid, error (and in selectable font sizes) in addition to Lat and Long. I see that some information is shown in the Dashboard, but sometimes it would be nice to show them at the top (or bottom) of the map in the translucent ribbons.

3. In the Track List, "Show infos", under the "Alt" and "Elev", the numbers are shown in miles. I assume this is the Altitude and Elevation in miles. Could this be shown in feet/meters instead?

What is the difference between "Altitude" and "Elevation"?

I noticed that during a trip (with Tracking enabled), that it said my max speed was 129mph. My top speed was about 78mph. Is this a bug?

Also, the Caching works nicely. How to update the Cache if somebody makes a change to the OpenStreetMaps? Just download them periodically?
  10.    #130  
    jblather,

congrats on getting it up and running.

in response to your #2 request, when you are in the app, go into the preferences, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, there are two setting, one for top right and top left. You can choose different setting to show things like speed or distance to target.
    Thanks! I haven't played with it long enough to have figured that out myself.

So, I'll modify my #2 request. I hope this isn't asking for too much:

2. Could we have, in the top ribbon where the Lat and Long is, *more* selectable information? It would be nice to display different things, at our choosing, several things (maybe up to six?) in that bigger font.

Also, I really like the summary information in the lower ribbon - information is nice and dense.
    I have another request....

#4: I accidentally tapped on "Split track". Would be handy to reverse (undo) that action.

Thanks
    MetaView,

I've had a chance to play with this all day. I must say, it's quite the app. Thanks for writing and releasing it!

I noticed that flash usage is about 2x to 3x more than I expect. Before I installed Maptool Pro, I had 29 gig free (32 gig TouchPad). After playing with it all day, it dropped to 23.2 Gig free. So, it looks like Maptool Pro and the maps it cached consumes 5.8 gig.

This was quite a bit more than I expected, so I did a 'du -skh .[a-zA-Z]*' in the /media/internal directory. It shows that .MapTool takes up 2.1G which is pretty much what I expected from caching the maps and from doing a download using jTileDownloader.

What is taking up the other 3.7Gig? I noticed that /media/internal/.palm takes up another 2.6Gig. I dove into .palm and it has a bunch of funky-named directories that runs deep. I'm wondering if this is some kind of file cache.

I can't think of any other app I'm using that would consume an extra 3.7 Gig. I have the Sports Illustrated App, but it's not downloading any magazines (at least I don't think it is).

Is there is something in '.palm' that Maptool Pro is using?
    Are there other files it has created?

Thanks In Advance.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $funky$-$named$ $folder$ $in$ .$palm$ $are$ $from$ $the$ $email$ $app$ $and$ $the$ $email$ $attachments$ $are$ $stored$ $there$. $The$ $name$ $is$ $a$ $hashcode$ $of$ $the$ $respecting$ $email$.
    I will see if I can make the font in the bottom layer adjustable. At least on a TouchPad there is a lot of space available. Altitude is the altitude the GPS receiver reports, Elevation is the ground elevation as reported by NASA data. You can adjust the frequency with which the elevation is requested. the info is quite handy especially when compared with the altitude from the GPS receiver, which isn't always correct. (Elevation might be wrong too, because the grid has some extent and actually you don't see from which grid the elevation value actually comes from.
    Thanks for the explanation of altitude vs elevation.

I think I understand why 'du' and device info reports one set of numbers and I expect another. I discovered that the .png files that make up the maps are small. Since the filesystem of the TouchPad is FAT32 (is that right? I'm not sure), we're probably talking about 4k clusters, not 512-byte blocks.

So, there's a ton of wasted space per cluster. 'du' reports total file sizes, but the device info of the touch pad reports space that's actually free. So, that might explain it. Thus, the size of the .palm folder is a red herring. I'm not 100% sure.
    Yes, the PNGs are quite small and the 4k blocks of FAT32 are a space vaster, but nothing really to handle by MapTool. Somewhere here on precentral.net is a manual how to mount a different file system as .MapTool folder, which then takes much less space. I never tried it, I usually tend to remove all zoom levels from 15 up when I need space and cache fresh, when I know I will travel to a location.
    I was thinking of doing just that, creating a container formatted to ext3fs or some such thing. It would probably save at least 2G or maybe 3G of space, I'm guessing.

Thanks
    Okay, I tried setting up a disk file that's been formatted to ext3fs. I mounted it as /media/internal/.MapTool. The disk file is /media/internal/.MapToolDisk. This disk file is 200 meg. I might need to make it bigger, but I don't think so. This is a HUGE disk savings.

The good news is that there is almost no wasted space!

Using the native (FAT32) file system, a 130 meg map cache actually takes up at least 10x that on disk. Very inefficient filesystem. I wonder why HP used this. I find lots of wasted space on all the filesystems on the TouchPad.

The bad news is..well, no real bad news. The hard part is trying to get the disk mounted at boot time. I can't figure out the /etc/fstab entry for it. I can mount it manually, but I can't figure out the options to get it to work from /etc/fstab.

So, what I did was to put the mount command inside one of the boot scripts. It will work for now, but not the ideal solution.

Here is my post on it. As of this writing, nobody has responded:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...via-fstab.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    Using the native (FAT32) file system, a 130 meg map cache actually takes up at least 10x that on disk. Very inefficient filesystem. I wonder why HP used this. I find lots of wasted space on all the filesystems on the TouchPad.
    Compatibility. Fat32 works with windows, mac, linux, and whatever else you hook it up to. (camera, car stereo, blu-ray player?)
    Oh yah, forgot about that - when you hook it up via USB, it's gotta work. I guess they took the simple route and didn't do some kind of 'presentation layer' to make an ext3 fs look like FAT32 to the USB host.
    Last edited by jblather; 10/19/2011 at 07:15 PM.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast