Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    The Droid should be discoverable on the TouchPad. When opening the BT settings and tap on add device, it is continuously searching for devices. Just select the generic device type and you should see it.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Great app BTW, but has anyone tried a Holux GPSlim 240 or similar device? I had an old one that had a bad battery, but it works when plugged into USB. It paired fine and seemed to locate me in Map Tool (although I am not sure if it is using WiFi signals to do this, I tried shutting off WiFi, but still unsure if GPS is working yet). My problem is that it doesn't move/follow me around the map (I jumped in the car and went a few blocks away). I am not sure if it is my GPS unit or not, but I tried pairing it with my Mac and it worked on Google Earth (not moving of course, I can't take the Mac Mini for a drive). Any ideas or troubleshooting tips? It might help if Map Tool Pro had a diagnostic or area where I could see my NMEA data streaming, so I know I have a satellites and it is working.
    When you start MTP and select your GPS device, there will be still an initial position update coming from webOS. You could avoid it only by denying location infos to MPT. After this initial position update any further updates should come from your GPS device. You should see the last fix timestamp grow. Also MTP might give some log outputs which you can watch with Lumberjack.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    Because there is no way for a normal webOS app to save data to the local filesystem. But you can upload and then download directly to the filesystem. I'm not interested in other people tracks
    Ooooh....I see. Is this because everything is running inside a Java sandbox?
    The Droid should be discoverable on the TouchPad. When opening the BT settings and tap on add device, it is continuously searching for devices. Just select the generic device type and you should see it.
    Yes, but it's not working for some reason. At least, it's definitely not seeing my Captivate so that makes at least two of us experiencing difficulty getting the TP to pair with an android OS device.
    I've been reading this thread and all I get is confusion.
    I have a Palm Pre 1 with 1.4.5 and PreGo GPS installed.
    I have a Touchpad 32 with Mapping Tool Pro installed.
    What I don't have is anyone that will slow down enough for this old timer to understand how to make it all work.
    if anyone has the time to help me with this, please contact me or give step by step instructions on how to get it working.
    My email is shanpalm61@gmail.com
    Thank you....
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    symbian phone users can use extgps free app to turn your phone into external GPS. Have not tried with to yet
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sm007h View Post
    Yes, but it's not working for some reason. At least, it's definitely not seeing my Captivate so that makes at least two of us experiencing difficulty getting the TP to pair with an android OS device.
    yup, I've tried many times and no go. Pairs with my keychain BT unit just fine, doesn't even see my phone.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    used my bt keychain and tether to my android phone tonight in the car (yes, wife was driving).

worked great, best of both worlds, GPS position and internet connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanpalm61 View Post
    I've been reading this thread and all I get is confusion.
    I have a Palm Pre 1 with 1.4.5 and PreGo GPS installed.
    I have a Touchpad 32 with Mapping Tool Pro installed.
    What I don't have is anyone that will slow down enough for this old timer to understand how to make it all work.
    if anyone has the time to help me with this, please contact me or give step by step instructions on how to get it working.
    My email is shanpalm61@gmail.com
    Thank you....
    @shanpalm61: PreGo GPS doesn't work on webOS 1.4.5 yet. The bluetooth stack isn't compatible. In a future version I will add a possibility to send position info over the internet, which isn't nice but the only working way with 1.4.5
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
    used my bt keychain and tether to my android phone tonight in the car (yes, wife was driving).

worked great, best of both worlds, GPS position and internet connection.
    how did you get it working?
    @shanpalm61: PreGo GPS doesn't work on webOS 1.4.5 yet. The bluetooth stack isn't compatible. In a future version I will add a possibility to send position info over the internet, which isn't nice but the only working way with 1.4.5
    Thank you! Please keep my email and keep me posted. Wifi works great but gps is fun.
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Navit and Navit Maps, available on Preware for free. I have maps for all of North America on my TP (2.7gb), and it allows you to get directions and follow a route. There's also a tool for spoken directions as you drive. Yes, it need an external gps. But as I said it's free, and works very well.

I don't know how gps in the TP works. There's a compass app, Compass HD, that works just fine without wifi and no external gps. On my Pixi+, the gps works fine without anything external (in no signal areas). No maps, but it gives the lat and long and altitude.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    The problem is the TouchPad has no GPS device. As far as I know navit still doesn't support an external GPS. The compass is a different device and exists without GPS. MapTool Pro displazs the compass on top of the map.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sm007h View Post
    how did you get it working?
    I used opengarden tether to tether the TP to the D2 for internet access, and paired the blue tooth GPS with the TP.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Navit and Navit Maps, available on Preware for free. I have maps for all of North America on my TP (2.7gb), and it allows you to get directions and follow a route. There's also a tool for spoken directions as you drive. Yes, it need an external gps. But as I said it's free, and works very well.

I don't know how gps in the TP works. There's a compass app, Compass HD, that works just fine without wifi and no external gps. On my Pixi+, the gps works fine without anything external (in no signal areas). No maps, but it gives the lat and long and altitude.
    Navit has no way to track location off of wifi, so it's no use in the car on a TP, which has no gps.
    I bought a TomTom Bluetooth GPS unit on Ebay, just got it today and although it is not charged fully yet it seems to be working fine with Navit. Voice guidance (sounds crappy) seems to work. I have just been testing it in the house but will take it out for a drive tomorrow. The TomTom BT/GPS was $12. shipped without any chargers but since I had so many I didn't get the chargers but with the chargers isn't a bad deal either. $24. shipped from Miami Beach.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I wish those tomtom units had cheaper shipping to canada. Pretty much doubles the price. I should check locally at eadioshack or something
    Quote Originally Posted by SSJChar View Post
    I wish those tomtom units had cheaper shipping to canada. Pretty much doubles the price. I should check locally at eadioshack or something
    It really shouldn't cost that much to ship to Canada, the unit is only 1 5/8x 3 /58 x 1/2 and only weighs about 3 ounces.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwas View Post
    I bought a TomTom Bluetooth GPS unit on Ebay, just got it today and although it is not charged fully yet it seems to be working fine with Navit. Voice guidance (sounds crappy) seems to work. I have just been testing it in the house but will take it out for a drive tomorrow. The TomTom BT/GPS was $12. shipped without any chargers but since I had so many I didn't get the chargers but with the chargers isn't a bad deal either. $24. shipped from Miami Beach.
    How did you enable the BT GPS in Navit? I don't remember a setting in the app to select the BT GPS for Nav, as in the Maps program.

If you're only in your home, you may just be getting location via the wireless network triangulation....

Oh, and the Navit interface is nothing if not obtuse...but it will work as well always nice to have more options.
    Last edited by Redflea; 10/08/2011 at 04:09 PM.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast