Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    Just checked the android market and there are a few bluetooth gps apps to try out, Hopefully some of them will work with the touchpad.
    Has anyone tried using an android phone's GPS with a touchpad navigation app yet ?
    I tried to pair my Droid 2 with the Touchpad via Bluetooth and could not get them to see/pair with each other for some reason. Touchpad can't see the D2, D2 can't see the TP. Don't see any "discovery" settings on the TP, but phone was set to discoverable.

None of the Android apps will run on webOS, of course, but:

Quote Originally Posted by GPS on Touchpad w/Android port
    GPS on the touchpad running Android would be pretty straightforward if you have an android phone:

Run sharegps on your phone:

ShareGPS

Then run bluegps4droid on the touchpad:

Bluetooth GPS for Android / Home / Home

People already do this for other android tablets.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    when you cache the tiles, do you need to tile each location at each specified zoom level? or if you cache an area does that mean you can view it in any zoom level?
    The TomTom MKII Bluetooth Wireless GPS Receiver is $11.95 shipped on ebay. Is this the keychain type GPS receiver that will work?
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Just looking at that, only issue is you need to buy the charger separately. Might want to just buy one with a charger off the bat
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwidge View Post
    So let me get this straight. I dont need a Palm Pre for this to work, right? All I would need is to cache the maps while on a wifi network, and then buy a bluetooth GPS receiver to go with it (I am assuming this is to allow the touchpad to match where you are with the map). The reason I am asking is it would be great use for my first run engine in my fire department. While we know general areas (usually no need for turn by turn directions) it would be nice to know what street we are on as well as upcoming cross streets when responding to a call.

So I could simply buy the app on the touchpad, and buy a GPS receiver and be good to go?

Correct, all you need is the touchpad, the app, and a gps bluetooth receiver. I believe most will work but can confirm the model that I purchased on Ebay. See picture in this thread. The tiles (or map) can be downloaded straight on the touchpad, but I found that to be a little buggy. Last night I used the Jtiledownloader to download tiles straight onto my desktop and transferred them into the .maptool folder on the touchpad. I found that it worked flawlessly and very satisfied. Although downloading close to 9000 tiles took several hours. I will post more reviews when I get home and share my experience with the tracking function and the search function too, including pictures.

Again, I can not say how much I appreciate Henk (Metaview) for this app.

Now I'm looking for car mounts and a realiable car charger, as this eats up battery life.
  6.    #66  
    So after trying out the Maptools (pro) with an external bluetooth GPS receiver, here are a few observations: (I realize these comments are more a review of the app program, but thought it might help others who want to have gps function on their tp)

True GPS functionality.
    Using the touchpad and the external bluetooth gps receiver allows for real time gps functionality. This is a GPS mapping program, and not a GPS navigation program, so you will not get turn by turn directions, nor any voice directions telling you where to turn, etc. The program tells you where you are, and quite well. When I turned on my tomtom and had it next to the touchpad, I noticed that the touchpad was a few "feet" behind, so when I went through in intersection, it did not "track" perfectly but I think that is a function of the touchpad, and not the app itself. As far as pinpointing my location, it was dead on.

Address search function.
    There is an address search function that works on the app. See the picture below. You have to type in the full address and when the options appear, when you select the address you want, (first picture) it will find the location (second picture) and from there you can tap on the screen (third picture) to pull up a menu to mark the location as a target. From there the app draws a straight line (forth picture) from your current location to the saved target. Of course, this is not a navigation arrow, but in reference to the map, it shows you where the destination is.

Tracking function.
    One of the neat functions of the app is a tracking function that leaves behind a blue shadow of where on the map you have been. I'm sure this can come in handy for someone, but for me, it was neat to have a visual marker of where I was today. (fifth picture)

Downloading maps.
    This is where I had a bit of issues, downloading the map directly on the touchpad. some of you have asked where to get the map. The map are actually "tiles" that are the grids that make up the map. You need tiles for every level you want to be able to zoom in/out on the map. The more levels you want to be able to zoom in/out of, you'll need that many tiles. Driving around town, I only needed levels 13-16, which zooms in close enough to get all the street names, and zooms out enough to get a larger sense of my location.

When I downloaded (or caches) the map directly from the touchpad, I had trouble where the map was incomplete or duplicated tiles, thus rendering the map inaccurate. On Henk's website, he has a program called JTileDownloader that you can use to find any location in the world and download tiles. I downloaded the greater los angeles area (levels 13,14,15,16) and it was slightly over 9000 tiles and took close to 5 hours. But in the morning, when I transferred the tiles onto the touchpad (.maptools folder) the program worked very smoothly.

Using Maptool (pro) offline.
    The other neat thing about this app is that you can download maps (cache tiles) and the the program as an offline map program. The problem with the Bing Map is that if you don't have internet connection, it won't work, but with maptool pro, if you know where you're going, you can use the app like a big map program.

Hope this helps everyone who wanted gps on their touchpad.
    I'm not a computer engineer, but figuring this out didn't take that much time. I know other's have already been enjoying the app, but I couldn't understand alot of the technical language.

Please thank Henk (metaview) and buy yourself the app.

maptoolpro_2011-06-10_140306.png
    maptoolpro_2011-06-10_140334.png
    maptoolpro_2011-06-10_140341.png
    maptoolpro_2011-06-10_140349.jpg
    maptoolpro_2011-06-10_133335.jpg
    Last edited by kahunabill; 10/06/2011 at 06:49 PM. Reason: wrong word
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    How much disk space did the 9000 tiles take up on the TP?
    "The Gods do not protect fools, fools are merely protected by more capable fools"
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Can you elaborate on the Jtiledownloader? I have it downloaded but im unsure on how to download tiles for a large area. My ideal plan would be to download the eastern shore area (Delmarva)
    what's the point of having GPS on a tablet anyways? I don't get it. Its too big for a car, especially my prius. Unless you're going install it in the dash or you're a cop with a large mount. Someone please fill me in.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    We take our tablet when we travel, rather than a laptop. So the tablet is with us. If you have someone else in the car, the option to use the tablet as a map is a good one, given the large, easy to read screen. That's my intention, anyway.

I wish Bing could cache maps...Goolge Maps on Android can do that and provide nav w/out a data connection.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    nevermind, got it! looks like I wasnt making the box in the map selector so it was only giving me one tile. haha. And bobbymd7, I think it has several uses. It saves a person the hassle of buying a GPS (if they already own a touchpad) and I personally wouldnt mind having a nice large screen to look at when driving down the road. Using my phone is nice, but I have to say it does get hard to see.

Also does anyone know if there are future plans for this to include turn by turn? that would be the icing on the cake!
    Last edited by Bigwidge; 10/06/2011 at 08:28 PM.
    I use my droidx and I love the live traffic. And the size is not intrusive. But I could see how nice a cool looking tablet will be as a nav device. I saw that they actually do sell mounts for this, but is there any car chargers?
    One thing I want to do is use MapTool so it tracks where I have driven. I don't want to use it for navigation, necessarily.

However, one thing I wish it had was be able to export where I've been to the PC so I can archive all my trips.
    Bigwidge likes this.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by bable View Post
    How much disk space did the 9000 tiles take up on the TP?
    9,411 tiles took up only 87 MB. That was for the Greater Los Angeles area downloading mapnik tiles. It's color intensive, so I think it takes up more space than if you were to download cyclemap.

I may try all of Southern California and see how it goes.

The neat thing about JTileDownloader is that you can control what portions of the map you need and only download tiles of that section. Like Bigwidge says, you have to make a box of the section you want.

And you can save all your downloads on your desktop and swap them out as needed. (Eg: New York Map, Los Angeles Map, Hawaii Map.)
    Last edited by kahunabill; 10/06/2011 at 10:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I'm downloading a good chunk of delmarva. With the different zoom levels I chose its 300,000+ tiles. But this helps with zooming in and out based on my needs.
    jblather likes this.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    380,000+ to be exact
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    One thing I want to do is use MapTool so it tracks where I have driven. I don't want to use it for navigation, necessarily.

However, one thing I wish it had was be able to export where I've been to the PC so I can archive all my trips.
    Export your track needs an internet connect:

tap on the zoom value, select "List Tracks", tap on the track you want to export, select "Export as GPX" in the menu. The GPX file is then saved to your internal USB drive. Exporting might take some time as the GPX string is send to my server and shortly downloaded afterwards to your device.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Thanks for the tip.

Why are my trips sent to your server?
    Because there is no way for a normal webOS app to save data to the local filesystem. But you can upload and then download directly to the filesystem. I'm not interested in other people tracks
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
    I tried to pair my Droid 2 with the Touchpad via Bluetooth and could not get them to see/pair with each other for some reason. Touchpad can't see the D2, D2 can't see the TP. Don't see any "discovery" settings on the TP, but phone was set to discoverable.

None of the Android apps will run on webOS, of course, but:
    Cool, thanks for the info man. Just installed shareGPS on my desire, will try the rest when cm7 is ready for the masses on touchpad
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast