Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Thx
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by kahunabill View Post
    Jblather,

I read the main thread and was surprised that there wasn't a lot of excitement or a big deal made about this app, since now everyone who complained about the touchpad not having GPS can now use an external device with the software.
    *Ahem*

http://www.precentral.net/update-map...-wifi-touchpad

*grin* {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  3.    #43  
    got me there. Just trying to generate some more excitement about this app.
  4.    #44  
    Henk, when I move around the map, I notice tiles missing or tiles being repeated or duplicated. Is this because I didn't cache from high enough?
    Tiles missing could mean it wasn't cache yet, but there shouldn't be any wrong tile. Can you make a screenshot or something like this?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    this makes me quite excited. I will be looking to buy a bkuetooth gps unit now. Hopefully that last canadian mapthis pro code that isn't redeemable until november doesn't go away too soon.
    Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if any codes are available for Ireland?
    Great work btw!
    I just bought a TomTOM Bluetooth GPS receiver on Ebay for $11.95 with free shipping. Should get it by the end of the week, ships from Maimi Beach. Now if it only works with the TP and Maps pro.
  9.    #49  
    Henk, so far after one day's use, when I use the mapquest map rendering, it runs the smoothest, verses other maps. Not sure why, but there is no duplication or missing tiles.
    I missed that one altogether.

Problem with those announcements is that many people don't see them. It may seem incredible since it's front and center, but perhaps people may bookmark the forums instead. Also, the news items don't stay on top for long - new things push them down and thus people never see older items. So, we have to re-post this stuff from time to time on the forums.
    No offense to the PreGo developper, but I have not had the best success with this app.

The problem does not come from the app itself (which works fine) but rather from the fact that if I have to enable tethering from the phone at the same time, so then the Pre2 heats up badly and eventually shuts down to prevent overheating damages...

The option of a low cost bluetooth GPS is starting to sound very attractive to me, even though I originally wanted to use my Pre2 has the GPS sending unit.

However I am in the process of downloading most of the tiles I need and will see how it goes. My next step is to have a mobile Hotspot and a USB 4G stick to go with it. Should alleviate the requirement for tethering over my Pre2...

I so wish we could install an internal 3 or 4G adapter in the Touchpad...
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

BTW I have found some decent Windshield holders for my TP for under 20$ on ebay (including shipping to Canada). There are also holders you can attach to headrest posts for the backseat passengers.

Use keywords Touchpad holder as search strings and you should find the easy.

Hope this helps
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

I'm confused. If I don't have internet access (ie: wifi or 3G) in my car, how do I get the maps ? Is there a map program I can buy for North America so it will allow my TP to act like the normal GPS units found in cars (where the maps are pre-downloaded) ?
    When you're at home or anywhere with WiFi access, you simply 'cache' the maps. Basically, you pre-download the maps. That way you have them in the TP when you don't have WiFi.
    Last edited by jblather; 10/06/2011 at 02:44 AM.
    Just checked the android market and there are a few bluetooth gps apps to try out, Hopefully some of them will work with the touchpad.
    Has anyone tried using an android phone's GPS with a touchpad navigation app yet ?
    As long as it spits out NMEA strings...
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I'd tether via bluetooth to my phone and use Mapquest/Google maps if I had a GPS need.
    This is neat! Imagine the uses, not only directions on how to go here or there, but you could use it to track road trips, geocaching, where did I park, etc.!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    So let me get this straight. I dont need a Palm Pre for this to work, right? All I would need is to cache the maps while on a wifi network, and then buy a bluetooth GPS receiver to go with it (I am assuming this is to allow the touchpad to match where you are with the map). The reason I am asking is it would be great use for my first run engine in my fire department. While we know general areas (usually no need for turn by turn directions) it would be nice to know what street we are on as well as upcoming cross streets when responding to a call.

So I could simply buy the app on the touchpad, and buy a GPS receiver and be good to go?
    Exactly.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast