Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by meechieervin View Post
    i got to ask you a question,i notice when i move the map around or zoom in and out it takes a couple of seconds to redraw is it like that when you drive
    I noticed that too today.
    I'm actually caching tiles and going to see how it works in the morning.

I think that's the app's version of downloading maps so that you have the map (tiles) on your touchpad. maybe that will help eliminate the redrawing.

Will post results.

One other great tool is that it can track your whereabouts!
    Quote Originally Posted by kahunabill View Post
    That's what I was thinking too, that any external gps receiver would work, so I wanted to test it out on the cheapest one I could find on ebay.
    I wont' say which seller, since that's an endorsement, but the search words were bluetooth gps receiver keychain. The one I bought was $14 but $13.90 for shipping from taiwan.
    . Just picked one up for $25.27 w/free ship from them buying the AU (Aussie) item and lower US $ conversion price.

. Thanks kahunabill for the heads up...
    ........JC.........

When you drive and have the map follow your position you will probably not recognize the redraw (depending on zoom level and cache state and maybe internet connection speed).
    In the menu you have a 'Cache Area'. Use this to cache a greater area at once. There is also a 'Route to target' which calculates online a route from your current position (either by GPS or manually set) to your current target and downloads this route as KML. You can then import this route and use as second track on your map for driving.
    Later I plan to add the possibility to precache also along a route.
    JCPDX, stbxxl and TouchPadFan like this.
    Darn it makes me wish I didn't kill/lose my GPSlim 240 (used for my PSP for this reason) as I could have good use for this app, but oh well I might start hunting for one again...
    (hidd) user.emerg: AddNewFinger: WARNING!!!!!!!: 99 FINGERS ADDED in 1 secs
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Are there any turn by turn GPS software for the touchpad yet? Mapquest has a great app on iphone and Android. What about Google maps and AroundMe (on iphone)? Are there any applications like those on HP touchpad?
    Thanks for the information

As it was only 1.98 I have downloaded on to my TP. I have also downloaded to cache the tiles around where I live. I have a nasty feeling this could eventually take up a lot of storage because the TP does not have a 3G card. Unless I can tether it to a phone, I guess I will have to download lots of tiles before I set off on a journey.
    It usually depends on how much you travel and stuff. Higher zoom level take quite a lot of space and the used filesystem (FAT32) doesn't really help as it eats quite a lot of space for even small files. It's not a bad idea to clean up the cache area (.MapTool directory in the USB partition of your device) from time to time. Mainly everything higher than 16 is not high important but take up much space.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    has anyone tried the iphone cydia app "TryOut" it is supposed to let you be able to export GPS through bluetooth , making the iphone a bluetooth external GPS receiver
    I still didn't purchase maptools !
    Might work, just like my PreGo GPS homebrew app.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tnguy88 View Post
    +1. This should make your phone work just like the receiver dongle off of Ebay and without the extra cost.

It's especially great if you have an old Pre left over after doing a carrier upgrade, or even doing a "FrankenPre" conversion, since it doesn't have to still be activated. As long as it has working Bluetooth and GPS, you can use it as a free GPS receiver dongle with the PreGo GPS app.

Perfect timing too...I plan to use my old Pre- as a GPS receiver for my Touchpad after finishing a FrankenPre2 conversion with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by charles06 View Post
    Are there any turn by turn GPS software for the touchpad yet? Mapquest has a great app on iphone and Android. What about Google maps and AroundMe (on iphone)? Are there any applications like those on HP touchpad?
    Not sure about those others, but I think I read that this was being worked on as a future for MapTool Pro.
    MapTool Pro allows to calculate a route using a online service and display this route together with your current position on the map. Not exactly a turn-by-turn navigation but a helpful replacement of paper card
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ptool-pro.html
    anyone care to try it , solar it doesn't seem to work for Uk or us maybe Canada
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    It usually depends on how much you travel and stuff. Higher zoom level take quite a lot of space and the used filesystem (FAT32) doesn't really help as it eats quite a lot of space for even small files. It's not a bad idea to clean up the cache area (.MapTool directory in the USB partition of your device) from time to time. Mainly everything higher than 16 is not high important but take up much space.
    Just wanted to let everyone know that the developer is now chiming in on this thread!

Metaview, I have a few questions regarding the app.
    1) Does downloading the map/tiles help speed up the app, and is there one map that works better than the others?
    2) is there a way to clean up the cache area directly on the app, without having to plug your touchpad to the computer via usb?

incase anyone hasn't said it, this app is awesome!
    Last edited by kahunabill; 10/05/2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: wrong word
    gxdunn likes this.
    1) With cached map tiles the app displays the tiles and not going to download them again. I don|t know if it this what you meant with speed-up.

2) No, a JSJSJS $app$ $has$ $no$ $possibility$ $to$ $access$ $the$ $filesystem$ $in$ $a$ $way$ $to$ $remove$ $files$ $from$ $it$. $You$ $have$ $to$ $use$ $your$ $desktop$ $computer$ $or$ $just$ $download$ $Internalz$.
    I actually tried this last week with my iphone. I bought maptools pro for the TP and "trygpsout" and "bluetooth gps" apps for the iphone. I was not able to get maptools to see my iphone because it does not have the words "GPS" in the device name (apparently the program searches for bluetooth devices with GPS in the name and will only connect to that device. I do not know why you would write a program that only allows this, that said, if i can figure out a way around this im sure it would work beautifully. The maptools program is actually pretty nice, if you dont mind not having pinch to zoom functionality.
    Tap the name, hold it, and you will enter the edit mode. MapTool filters for GPS because it is very easy to edit the name of the device once paired with the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by charles06 View Post
    I think ndrive only works on the webos phones, but Navit (preware) works fine.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    well this is pretty cool.. No gps has been one of my big beefs with the touchpad.. this should serve as a good fix for that though. Thanks for the Info!
    I purchased MapTools Pro when Metaview started work on compatibility with the TouchPad - I was excited to read that he successfully paired a BT gps receiver with the TP. And I have a three year old Garmin10x receiver that I used to carry with my Treo. Works perfectly fine with the TouchPad although MTP ran in an emulation window. Then after a few days, Metaview (Henk) updated MTP for the TP screen and I was soooo happy. Did a lot of research on how to download map tiles to the TP so that MTP is usable without internet connection and now I am very pleased. Henk is one of webOS's top developers in my book. Thanks Henk!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast