Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    This review would have been better if it was printed while the TouchPad was actually still under production.

    See link.

    Take care,

    Jay


    You know what? The HP TouchPad with webOS is actually pretty nice

    You know what? The HP TouchPad with webOS is actually pretty nice - Liliputing

    The HP TouchPad tablet may have been discontinued, but developers continue to write apps for the platform. In fact, there are now 1000 apps for the TouchPad, which isnít bad since there are still fewer than 10,000 apps for webOS smartphones.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    This review would have been better if it was printed while the TouchPad was actually still under production.
    I wouldnít have paid $499 for it when HP was charging full price. But Iím glad I was able to grab one during the liquidation sale.
    Therein lies the problem.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  3. HansTWN's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Therein lies the problem.
    True, but the amazing thing is that those same people then go out and pay $600 or $700 for an ipad. Apple's marketing is really the greatest, even if their devices are nothing special. Their hype and the blind belief among the great majority of their followers means they can sell anything as the latest and greatest. People are even paying through their noses for their own handcuffs and are happy about it! Flaws and shortcomings become features! HP and others can only learn from that.

    And HP's marketing for a device as great as the Touchpad will go down in history as the greatest disaster of the 21st century.
    Last edited by HansTWN; 10/05/2011 at 12:04 AM.
  4. #4  
    I've gotten to like my tp and webOS so, that I don't think I'll even install CM7, even when it's out of Alpha!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
    And HP's marketing for a device as great as the Touchpad will go down in history as the greatest disaster of the 21st century.
    Your view may be a little to focused, the Touchpad is not that important to history. Just this year there was the Japan disaster. Still got 89 years left to this century. The Touchpad is just a very minor footnote.
  6. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #6  
    I never would have bought one at full price either. Anything over $400 and my money goes to a laptop. I think the only reason why tablets were that expensive to begin with was because of apple.
  7. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #7  
    some laptops are pretty damn portable. so i dont think a tablet is any easier, or certainly not enough to justify the exorbitant price.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    I never would have bought one at full price either. Anything over $400 and my money goes to a laptop. I think the only reason why tablets were that expensive to begin with was because of apple.
    I never would have bought any (as in ANY) pad device, at the prices they were selling at.. I have no need for one, but, as a toy, an accessory, a convenience to some degree, $159 for the 32g TouchPad was a fair price, and so that was my entry price.

    It hasnt changed my life, added to my productivity (actually, setting them up and maintaining them makes me less overall productive), but, we have found some uses for them here at home.

    Now, the WebOS part of it is what makes it unique.. and the touchstone charging allows it to be usable while maintaining a full charge for trips, etc...

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: this isn't a "tablet" market, its an iAnything market... Apple is cool, right now, and everyone wants what they create, even if they don't "need" it, they feel like they do.

    Well, almost everyone, that is...

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  9. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #9  
    I agree with everything you said LCGuy, and feel the same way.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I never would have bought any (as in ANY) pad device, at the prices they were selling at.. I have no need for one, but, as a toy, an accessory, a convenience to some degree, $159 for the 32g TouchPad was a fair price, and so that was my entry price.

    It hasnt changed my life, added to my productivity (actually, setting them up and maintaining them makes me less overall productive), but, we have found some uses for them here at home.
    I never would have either. But it is at least good for Internet radio, browsing, games, finding more uses as I go.
  11. #11  
    I bought Ipad2 but I'm not feeling cooler than I was while I was using Pre . If I was able to find Touchpad for $99 I would definitly buy it, but $250 is IMHO to high price for discontinued device with tendencies for developing cracks.
    ipad2 is real pleasure to use, and it forces me to use it more and more. I'm not sure about this IAnything theory... You know, behind iDevices is tremendous effort and quality. if any webOS device was created with such quality and affection for details, webOS would be in far better state.
  12. #12  
    Had Palm been in the same financial state as Apple im sure this part of your statement would be true.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    if any webOS device was created with such quality and affection for details, webOS would be in far better state.
    I think they were designed with quality and attention to the details but financially didn't have the support needed to fine tune everything like they should have.


    Edit: Look how much the quality of the hardware improved from the TouchPad to the TouchPad go. WebOS was headed in that direction but was killed before it had an opportunity.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
    True, but the amazing thing is that those same people then go out and pay $600 or $700 for an ipad. Apple's marketing is really the greatest, even if their devices are nothing special.
    Oh cmon, I dislike "Apple Culture" as much as the next guy, but don't sell them short, their product engineers are some of the best in the business.

    The iPad2 isn't all that special, but the iPad and iPhone before it absolutely were - they brought together niche technologies into a consumer friendly package with great battery life in very solidly built products. Saying otherwise is just denying reality.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by override367 View Post
    Oh cmon, I dislike "Apple Culture" as much as the next guy, but don't sell them short, their product engineers are some of the best in the business.

    The iPad2 isn't all that special, but the iPad and iPhone before it absolutely were - they brought together niche technologies into a consumer friendly package with great battery life in very solidly built products. Saying otherwise is just denying reality.
    I agree. I don't like being tied in to iTunes. I don't like the way they restrict app development to suit there own ends (restricting alternate email clients, no flash etc). However, it has to be said they do make very good hardware.
  15. #15  
    I dislike the Apple hardware upgrade treadmill and their implementation of an app store.
  16. #16  
    I like webos but it lacks apps and the scrolling is janky and not uber smooth.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
    True, but the amazing thing is that those same people then go out and pay $600 or $700 for an ipad. Apple's marketing is really the greatest, even if their devices are nothing special. Their hype and the blind belief among the great majority of their followers means they can sell anything as the latest and greatest. People are even paying through their noses for their own handcuffs and are happy about it! Flaws and shortcomings become features! HP and others can only learn from that.

    And HP's marketing for a device as great as the Touchpad will go down in history as the greatest disaster of the 21st century.
    You are wrong on so many counts within this post that it doesn't even warrant a rebuttal. Get your own head out of the sand and maybe you can formulate a learned opinion on something in the future. Until then, don't post.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I dislike the Apple hardware upgrade treadmill and their implementation of an app store.
    yes ive said this a 1000x in the last couple years myself. still hate and loathe win stupidity though.
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

    Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tarbo View Post
    I like webos but it lacks apps and the scrolling is janky and not uber smooth.
    time for u to learn to port apps. still free to get all the software from palm/hp to build apps. im gonna learn after i tackle some more pressing issues myself. aready have all the software/dev apps
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

    Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
    And HP's marketing for a device as great as the Touchpad will go down in history as the greatest disaster of the 21st century.
    Honestly, I don't see what HP could've done to make any webOS device anything more than a niche product. They could've hired marketing geniuses, but that wouldn't change the fact that it's a two-horse race, with a powerhouse like Microsoft still struggling for scraps. webOS had a chance to get a foothold in this new age of smartphone OSes when the Pre was released, but it didn't work out, and now Android and iOS own the mobile world.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions