Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jman1313
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I have had an iPad 2 since March 2011.

Only having had the Touchpad for about an hour, I am amazed that HP threw in the towel in less than two months in the market.

Of course the Touchpad was a work in progress, but it's also obvious that a lot of work was done.

I have used an Android phone for 18 months.

Having fun with webOS .

Maybe Apple will change the world tomorrow with iOS 5, but for now webOS has my attention.

Just letting the battery fully charge on the Touchstone before getting busy.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I agree they gave up too quickly, but the biggest thing they did is not price it correctly. You can't bring out a tablet with this many bugs, and this hefty (in comparison to the competition) and price it at the same price as the iPad 2.

I like my TouchPad a lot. WebOS is very cool, but it has a lot of bugs that iOS doesn't. Generally, they're not a big deal, but if I'd have paid $500 I'd be ticked. At $149 (32GB), I'm fine, but HP needed a few more months of software optimization and bug quashing, as well as a little more investment in quality parts and build/feel.

That said, it's a fun little tablet, and I'm quite glad I got one. It does what I need it to, and even though there are some things that drive me crazy (for instance, it constantly mistypes O,I and K, interchanging them even when I KNOW I hit the right letter...the occasional 2 second screen freezes, the eons to boot, etc), I really enjoy it, and the interface is simply beautiful. It's a shame webOS didn't get a chance to really blossom...it's such a pretty and useful design, and the sliding pane standard interface for apps and the cards and gestures are all awesome.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    it's my first "pad" device and I am loving it. I wouldn't have bought any since I am happy with the android adoption in 2009 and upgrading it constantly. Price factor pushed me to buy instantly and now my Mac, netbook & laptop are hardly in use (android is always on, on the road).

I agree that WebOS lovers are keeping it alive and even after HP's mistake on ditching the OS they are developing apps. I hope HP will realize their mistake and will make a sensible U-turn on their decision.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post

I like my TouchPad a lot. WebOS is very cool, but it has a lot of bugs that iOS doesn't. Generally, they're not a big deal, but if I'd have paid $500 I'd be ticked. At $149 (32GB), I'm fine, but HP needed a few more months of software optimization and bug quashing, as well as a little more investment in quality parts and build/feel.

problem is it was already late coming out. i think if it had come out say, around when ipad 1 was released, it would have given it a run for the money. which is a shame, since webOs does have a lot of potential... but the future for it doesnt look too bright
    The reality is that after over a month, the Touchpad sold less than 10% of the retail stock in the stores. Best Buy was getting ready to return 250,000 unsold Touchpads to HP.

It was a flop at launch. The fire sale was to unload the unsold stock. They made some more Touchpads with the parts and contracts they had with manufacturers. After existing orders are filled and the employees have theirs, we will see if a new, higher fire sale price has the same interest.