Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys anyone have any recommendations on Ripping software for the TP? I've got all the seasons of family guy I want to put on it. Not not too tech sauvvy sooooo it needs to be pretty easy software. Thanks!
    2 things you can do

Paid solution so you don't have to convert anything
    - go to Kalemsoft website and download the program

or

Free solution
    - Read beginners guide for Orb solution
    or
    Download Handbrake
    Convert

Read the New User guide
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I tried all the free ways and it is okay but it takes forever. I eventually bought DVD Catalyst 4 online for $10. It has an HP Touchpad setting and it took less than 30 minutes to rip a 2 hour movie off a DVD.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys, I'll try the catalyst 4. Really not into streaming as I have Mobile Broadband and only allowed so many GB's per month. Although splash top and playon is pretty awesome, I have to use it in moderation.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    +1 for DVD Catalyst 4. Since your ripping TV episodes, it has great tools for ripping multiple items from a disk and renaming the episodes. I ripped the looney tunes golden collection using another peice of software. I switched to DVD catalyst and saved a lot of time...
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Download handbrake and convert using iPad presets. Pretty easy.
  7.    #7  
    does catalyst unlock the DVDs? I dunno if the family guy is protected or not
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazo View Post
    Download handbrake and convert using iPad presets. Pretty easy.
    Plus one to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
    does catalyst unlock the DVDs? I dunno if the family guy is protected or not
    All commercial DVDs are protected with Content Scrambling System which was cracked over a decade ago. Handbrake will simply break it by brute force in a matter of seconds and then rip/encode the DVD. Never head of Catalyst but if it doesn't break CSS that would make it useless.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I use DVDFab to convert my stuff into mp4 format.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    How about Blu-rays? Anyone rip Blu-rays to watch on their Touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    How about Blu-rays? Anyone rip Blu-rays to watch on their Touchpad?
    You can use MakeMKV to rip your BluRays and then use Splashtop HD to stream it to your device.

Else convert the mkv to HP Touchpad format mp4 file using DVD Catalyst or Handbrake and then watch it locally on the Touchpad.

You can also buy the Kalemsoft player to play the mkv file directly on your Touchpad.
  12.    #12  
    I actually bought catalyst 4, and really like it. I think it was $10 well spent. Also converted a few episodes of Family Guy over for my Pre2
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by austriak View Post
    I tried all the free ways and it is okay but it takes forever. I eventually bought DVD Catalyst 4 online for $10. It has an HP Touchpad setting and it took less than 30 minutes to rip a 2 hour movie off a DVD.
    What selection did you make to rip the video to Touchpad format? IPad, Galaxy were listed. Touchpad was not listed in the DVD Catalyst 4.
    Would we have to do any conversion for digital copies of movies? I want to put the new transformers movie on my TouchPad and it came with a digital copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jolsba View Post
    What selection did you make to rip the video to Touchpad format? IPad, Galaxy were listed. Touchpad was not listed in the DVD Catalyst 4.
    I did an update and found 4 Touchpad options (lower left side of screen for the pull down device option) now listed. Hope that helps
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Web site Giveawayoftheday.com frequently gives away new DVD rippers. Check daily for a while until the next one comes up. Most of them have an iPad output pre-set that works perfectly for the TouchPad. While most of them are pretty similar in functionality, the newer ones have speed enhancements like taking full advantage of multi-core CPUs and using nVidia/AMD graphics processors to assist. I still like the quality of Handbrake's output though.
    There have been several suggestions in this thread that Handbrake will Rip DVD Films to iPad (MP4) files playable on the TouchPad.

I have tried this with several DVDs and Handbrake reports that they are copy protected. Additionally. the Handbrake Help says:

What HandBrake Is, What HandBrake Isn't ¶

HandBrake is a GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder.

HandBrake is not a ripper. It converts video, it does not rip it byte by byte. It does not crack the latest DVD copy protection schemes hatched by the studios.

It converts video from nearly any format to a handful of modern ones—that's it.

HandBrake is not everything for everyone for every need. When you desire a ChickenSandwich, search out a local purveyor of prepared foodstuffs. When you desire an über-tool for all your video encoding needs, learn how to use the command line and seek out projects like mencoder.

So, How have you managed to rip DVDs with Handbrake?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste View Post
    I did an update and found 4 Touchpad options (lower left side of screen for the pull down device option) now listed. Hope that helps
    I followed your lead, & found the TP options after doing the update. Thanks!
    Wheel_nut is right.

You have to typically remove the copyright protection first of the DVD using methods we all use to employ when copying dvds. I use programs like DVD Shrink, DVDFabdecrypter. There are many other programs that can do this like AnyDVD. You can remove the additional materials like the trailers etc during this process.

But instead of copying the decrypted DVD VIDEO file to a DVD using Roxio for example, use Handbrake or other similar program to convert the movie to MP4 format onto the Touchpad. If using Handbrake, I believe you can use the IPAD format because it has the same screen size and resolution.

HTH

Hanover
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fljoemon View Post
    You can use MakeMKV to rip your BluRays and then use Splashtop HD to stream it to your device.

Else convert the mkv to HP Touchpad format mp4 file using DVD Catalyst or Handbrake and then watch it locally on the Touchpad.

You can also buy the Kalemsoft player to play the mkv file directly on your Touchpad.
    Will Splashtop allow me to stream a blu ray that is in mkv format? I have movies in mkv format and want to stream to my TP from my computer.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast