Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    See:

HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB | HP® Official Store

Is $249 going to be the "new" firesale price?

It matches what the HP's have been going for on EBay and CL....
    HP's 'stance' thus far appears to have been "Oh no.. we are still selling them at original 'firesale' prices, in order to fulfil our prior customer 'commitments'.. BUT individual 'retailers' may not choose to hold to that price."

Great! So I suppose they now bracket their Official Store as an 'Individual Retailer'!

So God knows what hare-brained scheme they are hedging on now!

'Make Bucks'.. or at least 'not lose quite so many bucks this time' I suppose.. yes!

Apparently HP sold some 32GB models last night for $249.99 according to expired fatwallet deal thread "HP touchpad 32GB @ Hp.com for $249.99", now out of stock. I slept through it and just finding out now.
    32GB For $ 249.00? I wanna have one...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    @ 249?? you'll find a better deal on ebay...

please note that this price does not include shipping and tax.
    I would be really disappointed if they choose not to honor their previous promises if keeping the firesale prices. Perfect scenario is if they announce that HTC and Amazon are taking over webOS and that they are now going to release the pre3 and TP Go.
    Quote Originally Posted by ran495 View Post

There's nothing wrong if Meg wants to steer customers from HP.com
    towards eBay.com. She did work for eBay.

It's one of the qualifications of being HP's CEO. You never forget how
    things are dong at your previous place of employment. (examples:
    Apotheker -> SAP, Meg -> eBay)
    sledge007 likes this.

No, If you live in Brazil or other non official country...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    that was probably a web site error, I doubt anyone actually succeeded in purchasing a touchpad from hp last night.

however... the $249.99 and $219.99 prices must have come from somewhere. hp is perhaps planning on selling any last remaining touchpads (after fullfilling all the SMB orders and vendor back-orders) at these higher prices. Seems like a lot of potential bad press to make an extra couple of million $ (let's say they end up with 20k touchpads left to sell... 20k * $100-$120 extra per touchpad is only 2-2.2 million $... not worth the bother for HP).

HP could try to spin it that they're just trying to combat the scalpers - if TP's are going for $200-$250 on ebay, then if HP sells the last few at the same price they're more likely to be directly purchased by end-users.

I always thought HP made a huge mistake setting the firesale price so ridiculously low. They would have sold them all plenty quick at $249/$219 or a similar price point, without all the insane drama and making a few industrious scalpers so much money. However it really does seem too late to reset the price now.

The only other thing I can think of is that HP might actually be considering going on with the TouchPad and/or TouchPad Go, and is seeing if the market will accept a price hike.
    Well putting myself in their shoes, probably going to be some sort of bad press no matter how they handle it so why not hike the prices a bit, easier on the web site and the budget. And agree about questioning why the "firesale" prices were so low but who am I to question why, mine is but to buy buy buy! If they decide to keep it going that would be wonderful news but I'm not holding my breath.
    UnlimiteD3k likes this.
    Reviving the value...

It kinda looks like they're starting to bring the Touchpad back to the forefront, and their original decision to cancel is slowly starting to reverse..

Now if they release this with another OTA update, they might as well start getting their Out of Stock posters ready.
    Reckon Apotheker just spat the dummy with the whole TP 'thing'.

First, in Aus. anyway, they were to be withdrawn from the the shelves of the sole retail vendors ('Harvey Norman Electronics) entirely!

Then a few telephone calls went down over that W/E and HP probably realised that it was CHEAPER to flog them off at $99 & $149 than it would be to actually ship them all back out of the country and 'destroy' them etc etc.

Crazy stuff indeed!
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    i think all those $249 orders got canceled from what i read
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarion View Post
    I would be really disappointed if they choose not to honor their previous promises if keeping the firesale prices. Perfect scenario is if they announce that HTC and Amazon are taking over webOS and that they are now going to release the pre3 and TP Go.
    When did they promise that they will put out the last charge of touchpads for the firesale price?! I haven't heard anything like that. They always avoid the question after the price of a device of the last charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    i think all those $249 orders got canceled from what i read
    I'm not sure if any were sold but a guy on fatwallet called HP and was told that in the future the touchpads will be offered at currently listed price of $249 for the 32GB model and $219 for the 16GB model.

I waited all day to get my 32 on ebay. Paid $255. Every other 32 went somewhere between $265 and $300. HP's price for $249 is a VERY good deal even with T&H.
    Quote Originally Posted by cclarion View Post
    I would be really disappointed if they choose not to honor their previous promises if keeping the firesale prices.
    I'd almost be disappointed if they don't raise prices. We know that $249 is about the correct market price because that's what they go for on eBay. Selling them at that price, and risking market backlash, may indicate that HP is thinking about keeping their foot in the pad market.

Besides, when did we start trusting HP to keep their word. Remember Flash on the Pre Minus? Or webOS 2? Or even promises of building a strategy around webOS?

Go for it, HP! Sell those pads! $249! People will still buy them! They're grrrrrrrrrrrrr-eat!
    untitled likes this.
    ^ Haha! There couldn't have been any sold, because we would have been notified. I don't think it's a mistake, I think they are setting up for the next sale.
    Who in the world is asking to pay more? I will never buy from hp again

sent from my thunderbolt
    And that's why I say they should add something extra to it. An OTA update will do.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 10/03/2011 at 03:44 PM.
    letijr likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast