Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ken3 View Post
    I think it’s a very bad idea if HP raises their official price to sell TouchPads higher than firesale prices. We already got TouchPads at the firesale prices and the product did not improve. So there’s no justification from the consumers’ view to raise the price.

I like the TouchPad for what it does right, but it doesn’t even have 2 webcams, or Video ports. So I would not pay anything more for a TouchPad than the $150 I paid for the 32 GB version. It’s just not worth it.

The iTouch 2 isn’t worth $500 either. I looked at the Apple website: all their devices are overpriced, and more people should say no to Apple until they make prices reasonable.

For this reason HP should not be trying to match Apple’s prices, because Apple’s prices are too high in the first place. Apple needs to come down with prices, not HP go up.

If prices are raised, then HP is not learning the lesson from the firesale: If the price is right, then youll make lots of sales quickly.
    HP has this last chance to revive the TouchPad's future by selling at firesale prices, while at the same time dramatically increasing the amount of TouchPads that exist in consumer hands.
    This will blow Apple away, this will be good for webOS, and more importantly, this will be good for TouchPad owners, while redeeming HP in the eyes of consumers.

If you were a HP CEO then seriously think about this: What is the future of tablet devices? :

1) The cost WILL go down.
    2) The devices WILL become better.
    3) Tablets WILL be in the hands of more people.

Now as HP, do you want more tablet sales for Apple devices?? Or do you want more tablet sales for HP?

Do you want to help webOS establish a greater presence in the app community with more users to drive growth, or do you want to allow Apple and Android to remain app kings?

Your TouchPad device hasn’t gotten better. So do you want to turn potential buyers away from buying a tablet at all because they are waiting for something better?
    Or do you want to undercut Apple and get consumers' money in your hands NOW, not later - when they have less of an incentive to buy.

If you can ignore greed in exchange for more wealth down the road - by mass sales, then the choices are simple:

Announce HP will start making TouchPads again, and sell them at firesale prices. This will lead to:

A) Consumers will have a big incentive to choose HP over Apple for the current tablet devices and rush to buy.
    B) Apple stock prices will instantly go down while HP stock prices go up.
    C) After all the sales, webOS will rise in rank, and you will have the foundation of HP/ webOS users to build on, when your next gen devices come out.

-----------
    Don’t be greedy like Apple by bringing in the wealth with overpricing and selling devices as “luxury items.”
    That business model won't last.

Build your empire based on fair prices, then you will have more loyal and happy consumers who can feed your wealth in the future.

Example: Apple sells 1 tablet @ $500 to a wealthier person (or quick spender) and makes $500. That is 1 more person who may spend additional money on apps/ accessories.

But HP can sell 5 tablets @ $100 each, to 5 less wealthy people ( or common sense people who simply refuse to waste money on an overpriced item which will be obsolete in a year) and make $500 as well.
    And that is 5 more people who may spend additional money on apps/ accessories.
    But ALSO it increases the HP “population” and there are more "less wealthy people" than "wealthier people," to feed continued sales.

When you have the best empire (business model) established, then you can bring in the wealth - with the bonus of more happiness (returning consumers) and better moral (higher stock prices).

It’s simple logic.
    Yes, stock prices for HP may go up "instantly" and Apple's will go down "instantly" as you said, however that has no real bearing on future profitability. Moves like that as a result of big news are mainly caused by intra-day traders, stocks tend to retrace after big moves. From an investor standpoint, if HP decides to begin reselling the Touchpad at firesale prices why would you want to invest in them? HP already publicly killed Webos and possibly their reputation with consumers. But, if they decide to bring back the TP this shows that their company is really disjointed and they do not have a clear business plan/direction in what they want to do. Secondly, by selling the Touchpad at firesale prices they will be hemorrhaging money, IIRC the Touchpad is estimated to cost 300$ to produce. Thirdly, Amazon just announced their tablet and it looks very promising, it is also at a similar price point.

And concerning your 1 Ipad to 5 Touchpads example. This goes back to cost. If apple sells 1 Ipad for 500 and it costs them 300$ to make(close to this number I believe), they bank 200$. If HP sells 5 Touchpads at 100$ and each Touchpad costs 300$ to make, they lose 1000$. HP stock is already down something like 40% this year alone, I don't think they can continue to p**s off their current investors and discourage new investors for much longer, at least not in the stock market's current condition. I believe i read they sold close to 800,000 units in the fire sale, with another 100,000 for employees. So the avg price of the 32 and 16 models is 125$, with cost of 300$. By that rough calc, HP has already lost about 150 million. I don't think they want anymore of that.
    Last edited by jjchow245; 10/04/2011 at 10:22 AM.
    HP increasing the prices does seem odd especially because of the impending firesale. The price increase maybe a sign of hope for us webOS fans. Or it could just be another unexplainable public relations goof by the incompetent HP executives.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I spent last night moving the music on my PC to Amazon's Music Cloud. I have to say, Amazon does a great job organizing and cleaning up the mess of mp3 files on my PC. This was done so that I could easily use all of this music using the Amazon Cloud Player on the HP TouchPad as well as other devices and save the on board ram for other stuff.

I have been thinking for some time that HP would never invest the money they did in the TouchPad without realizing that they had to have a digital content Ecosystem to support it and compete with Apple iTunes. Obviously that Ecosystem was meant to be Amazon. Which is why Amazon will likely take over the TouchPad development team from HP for the future of the Kindle Fire.

Once we accept that this deal is in the works, then it makes sense that HP is going to be more sensitive to the liquidation pricing of the remaining TouchPads, so as not to undercut Amazon's already loss-leading pricing on the 7 inch kindle Fire.

I look forward to more Amazon integration with the TouchPad and webOS or what ever OS Amazon finally decides it wants to use on a 9.7 inch tablet like the TouchPad.

We will be hearing a lot more about cloud services today from Apple.

When it comes to Cloud services, however, Apple is taking on the original and first mover, which is Amazon.

It just so happens that Amazon Digital content has a strong lead in Books and is coming on strong in music and streaming video.

Apple? NetFlix ? Cloud Storage? Amazon can win in all of these areas and still ship you groceries and any other physical object you may need. Can you say Amazon Prime?

In the future, I look forward to my TouchPad morphing into Amazon's most powerful device, while enjoying the freedom that webOS and this community offers in contrast to the iOS iTunes Ecosystem.

I was able to easily get my TouchPad from Amazon on Sunday August 21st. No standing in line at Best Buy, which, BTW, will likely downsize after the upcoming holiday shopping season is over.
    Is it just me, or does it appear as if the hoarders are getting restless?
    Meg Whitman = Money

I said it when it was announced that they hired her for CEO. Get ready for increased prices. That's what she did at eBay - consistently. She's going to nickel and dime you to death. It's all for the Company. She says they're selling at eBay & Amazon for that much so why not us? I think that was a test run.
    Mutoidi and Touchkeeper like this.
    I just bot a 16g new in box for 190
    craigs ad
    had to meet a guy at mickey d's
    now I find myTP has a glitch allowing me to login to my craigs account
    keyboard will not come up when cursor placed in field
    anyone have a clue on that?
    thanks
    <link removed by staff>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/09/2011 at 09:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
    I spent last night moving the music on my PC to Amazon's Music Cloud. I have to say, Amazon does a great job organizing and cleaning up the mess of mp3 files on my PC. This was done so that I could easily use all of this music using the Amazon Cloud Player on the HP TouchPad as well as other devices and save the on board ram for other stuff.

I have been thinking for some time that HP would never invest the money they did in the TouchPad without realizing that they had to have a digital content Ecosystem to support it and compete with Apple iTunes. Obviously that Ecosystem was meant to be Amazon. Which is why Amazon will likely take over the TouchPad development team from HP for the future of the Kindle Fire.

Once we accept that this deal is in the works, then it makes sense that HP is going to be more sensitive to the liquidation pricing of the remaining TouchPads, so as not to undercut Amazon's already loss-leading pricing on the 7 inch kindle Fire.

I look forward to more Amazon integration with the TouchPad and webOS or what ever OS Amazon finally decides it wants to use on a 9.7 inch tablet like the TouchPad.

We will be hearing a lot more about cloud services today from Apple.

When it comes to Cloud services, however, Apple is taking on the original and first mover, which is Amazon.

It just so happens that Amazon Digital content has a strong lead in Books and is coming on strong in music and streaming video.

Apple? NetFlix ? Cloud Storage? Amazon can win in all of these areas and still ship you groceries and any other physical object you may need. Can you say Amazon Prime?

In the future, I look forward to my TouchPad morphing into Amazon's most powerful device, while enjoying the freedom that webOS and this community offers in contrast to the iOS iTunes Ecosystem.

I was able to easily get my TouchPad from Amazon on Sunday August 21st. No standing in line at Best Buy, which, BTW, will likely downsize after the upcoming holiday shopping season is over.
    Some think this is a bit far-fetched wishful thinking - but I for one hope you are correct. I STAY on Amazon.com - and I really do want a reason NOT to cancel my two 32GB who-knows-when/it-they-will-ever-snip TPs from HP SMB. I have a 32GB TP already, and I really enjoy the device, but the browsing and login limitations are making me nuts. I certainly would feel a whole lot better giving the TP as a gift if I knew for certain Amazon was now behind its continued support and development of the software.
    How about the price showing on the website for $499 and $549 today?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Get prepared for the statement that they're going to start mass producing them again!
    ... i'm prepared for something disappointing.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    In my view, just get prepared to hear the OPPOSITE of what ever they last said (or did.. or didn't!).

Etc!

Ugh, if they bring them back at the same price nobody wanted to pay, that would just be a mistake and will show that they still DON'T GET IT!

If people are going to pay $500 for a TOY, they're gonna spend it on the Apple product. To compete, we have to be cheaper than Apple! Why does it seem like the people in charge never agree with the people in the real world?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234