Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 72
Like Tree12Likes
  1. #41  
    Silly as it might sound, I was kind of hoping an increase in touchpad pricing by HP might indicate they were considering keeping it alive. But it's probably just a a little damage control,
  2. DRFP's Avatar
    Posts
    309 Posts
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by ken3 View Post
    I think it’s a very bad idea if HP raises their official price to sell TouchPads higher than firesale prices. We already got TouchPads at the firesale prices and the product did not improve. So there’s no justification from the consumers’ view to raise the price.

    I like the TouchPad for what it does right, but it doesn’t even have 2 webcams, or Video ports. So I would not pay anything more for a TouchPad than the $150 I paid for the 32 GB version. It’s just not worth it.

    The iTouch 2 isn’t worth $500 either. I looked at the Apple website: all their devices are overpriced, and more people should say no to Apple until they make prices reasonable.

    For this reason HP should not be trying to match Apple’s prices, because Apple’s prices are too high in the first place. Apple needs to come down with prices, not HP go up.

    If prices are raised, then HP is not learning the lesson from the firesale: If the price is right, then youll make lots of sales quickly.
    HP has this last chance to revive the TouchPad's future by selling at firesale prices, while at the same time dramatically increasing the amount of TouchPads that exist in consumer hands.
    This will blow Apple away, this will be good for webOS, and more importantly, this will be good for TouchPad owners, while redeeming HP in the eyes of consumers.

    If you were a HP CEO then seriously think about this: What is the future of tablet devices? :

    1) The cost WILL go down.
    2) The devices WILL become better.
    3) Tablets WILL be in the hands of more people.

    Now as HP, do you want more tablet sales for Apple devices?? Or do you want more tablet sales for HP?

    Do you want to help webOS establish a greater presence in the app community with more users to drive growth, or do you want to allow Apple and Android to remain app kings?

    Your TouchPad device hasn’t gotten better. So do you want to turn potential buyers away from buying a tablet at all because they are waiting for something better?
    Or do you want to undercut Apple and get consumers' money in your hands NOW, not later - when they have less of an incentive to buy.

    If you can ignore greed in exchange for more wealth down the road - by mass sales, then the choices are simple:

    Announce HP will start making TouchPads again, and sell them at firesale prices. This will lead to:

    A) Consumers will have a big incentive to choose HP over Apple for the current tablet devices and rush to buy.
    B) Apple stock prices will instantly go down while HP stock prices go up.
    C) After all the sales, webOS will rise in rank, and you will have the foundation of HP/ webOS users to build on, when your next gen devices come out.

    -----------
    Don’t be greedy like Apple by bringing in the wealth with overpricing and selling devices as “luxury items.”
    That business model won't last.


    Build your empire based on fair prices, then you will have more loyal and happy consumers who can feed your wealth in the future.

    Example: Apple sells 1 tablet @ $500 to a wealthier person (or quick spender) and makes $500. That is 1 more person who may spend additional money on apps/ accessories.

    But HP can sell 5 tablets @ $100 each, to 5 less wealthy people ( or common sense people who simply refuse to waste money on an overpriced item which will be obsolete in a year) and make $500 as well.
    And that is 5 more people who may spend additional money on apps/ accessories.
    But ALSO it increases the HP “population” and there are more "less wealthy people" than "wealthier people," to feed continued sales.

    When you have the best empire (business model) established, then you can bring in the wealth - with the bonus of more happiness (returning consumers) and better moral (higher stock prices).

    It’s simple logic.
    Wow you do realize that HP lost 100 million on the fire sale and if the TP came back at 249 It may be redesigned so they make enough to cover it and try to make out on Software side?

    I don't get why you and so many others feel HP should continue to bleed money and commit suicide so you can get an underpriced product?
    I'm not here to criticize the Touchpad but to learn how to make it better.
    rstark likes this.
  3. #43  
    Wow you do realize that HP lost 100 million on the fire sale and if the TP came back at 249 It may be redesigned so they make enough to cover it and try to make out on Software side?

    I don't get why you and so many others feel HP should continue to bleed money and commit suicide so you can get an underpriced product?
    There you go! That's the spirit! Keep my hope alive!

    As I said in another recent post, never underestimate the sense of entitlement that some of the firesale touchpad owners display. I am, of course, part of that group and if you were paying attention recently saw me whining over the price of Splashtop Remote. I came to my senses but yes I did whine about it for a bit to my shame,
  4. #44  
    Oh wow! Some people are just too cheap and too gready! No price is ever good enough. If hp slashed price to 50 and then raised to 100 there would be just as much criticism how these people wouldn't pay more. Get over yourself! Regardless of what price you were or were not ale to snatch it at the TP is worth AT LEAST 250. At the bare minimum. I got my TP32gb. For 400+t and there are people who paid even more. The fact that some idiots at hp temporarily slashed it to 99 last month doesn't change the fact that you are now entitled to that price! The true market price is what's on the open marketplace such as ebay and TPs are going nicely at 250.

    *if you feel entitled to have TP offered to you at $99/149 and will not pay more, that is fine. You have the right to not buy it. nobody is forcing you to. More TPs for those who feel it is worth the price.
    rstark likes this.
  5. #45  
    Can the Touchpad survive without support? Yes or No?
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by drfp View Post
    Wow you do realize that HP lost 100 million on the fire sale and if the TP came back at 249 It may be redesigned so they make enough to cover it and try to make out on Software side?

    I don't get why you and so many others feel HP should continue to bleed money and commit suicide so you can get an underpriced product?
    I am not 100% convinced by evidence on how much money they really lost.
    I feel sorry for HP employees and stock holders, if they did indeed loose a lot of money.
    But I also am happy I got this device at the firesale price, while also feeling disappointed that as of now, this device has no future for growth, it doesn't even have 3G.

    If HP came out with an improved version with 2 webcams and 3G/ 4G, then I think a price increase would be warranted.

    The point is HP failed with this issue and I don't want them to bleed money, but at the same time, us consumers are left with the resulting issues of HP's failure.
    Some are good issues (I got a new tablet device that multitasks), some are bad (it doesnt do all that I want a tablet device to do).
    I wish that HP can come back with tablets at a fair price and continue webOS development.

    But what really upsets me is that the former (fired) HP CEO was rewarded with millions of dollars in severance pay, when he was a failure for HP!

    So if anyone led HP to bleed money, it was him, when he lead HP to failure, and took HP's money with him when he left.
    H-P Paying Fired CEO $7.2 Million in Severance - Deal Journal - WSJ
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    Oh wow! Some people are just too cheap and too gready! No price is ever good enough. If hp slashed price to 50 and then raised to 100 there would be just as much criticism how these people wouldn't pay more. Get over yourself! Regardless of what price you were or were not ale to snatch it at the TP is worth AT LEAST 250. At the bare minimum. I got my TP32gb. For 400+t and there are people who paid even more. The fact that some idiots at hp temporarily slashed it to 99 last month doesn't change the fact that you are now entitled to that price! The true market price is what's on the open marketplace such as ebay and TPs are going nicely at 250.

    *if you feel entitled to have TP offered to you at $99/149 and will not pay more, that is fine. You have the right to not buy it. nobody is forcing you to. More TPs for those who feel it is worth the price.
    Dont call me cheap and greedy and assume that no price is good enough for me. Do not put words in my mouth or assume for me and other firesale buyers. Im sure each of them had their reasons.
    I am not greedy because I choose not to buy a device when it is overpriced.
    I called Apple greedy, not a direct person at this forum.
    You have been at this forum since 2009 and dont know better than to not personally attack users for their opinions?

    You say "the TP is worth AT LEAST 250. At the bare minimum." That is your OPINION. I do not attack you for it. Do not attack me for mine. I gave my reasoning. If you dont like it, too bad but dont attack me or try to slander firesale buyers - which ive seen done many times at this forum.

    Also I mentioned nothing of being "entitled to that price." I said that since HP already had prices at $99, that increasing the price now (for the same device), wouldnt go over well with consumers.
    Please try reading my full post before you feel the need to attack user's opinions.
    Last edited by ken3; 10/04/2011 at 12:45 AM. Reason: *also
    dectech likes this.
  8. DeadVim's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Can the Touchpad survive without support? Yes or No?
    Touchpad as a piece of hardware or webOS?

    It will always be useful as a browser/media player/emulator/splashtopper and other whatnot. Even without the other dual-boot options.

    And by 'always' I mean for as long as any electronic gadget can be until the inevitable happens and something twice as good is released for little more cash.

    Given there will be no more of them it could be argued that it is already dead.
  9. #49  
    Guys... no more arguing. Everyone has opinions and just because someone else's may differ from yours does not make them cheap, or wrong. Remember, the discussions are about the product, not the users.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    Touchpad as a piece of hardware or webOS?

    It will always be useful as a browser/media player/emulator/splashtopper and other whatnot. Even without the other dual-boot options.

    And by 'always' I mean for as long as any electronic gadget can be until the inevitable happens and something twice as good is released for little more cash.

    Given there will be no more of them it could be argued that it is already dead.
    In my fascination with the Touchpad, I'd actually forgotten the purpose I'd originally bought it. To hold me over until something better comes along. It seems I was in my right mind before I bought it. And now, I've let my dreams run away with me.

    Everybody's waiting around like it's going to get better, even though it's getting worse. HPTouchpad.com has gotten less than 1,000 hits over the past two weeks. Consumers and HP alike considers it dead.

    They can't hear our voices.
  11. #51  
    If HP is not moving forward with the Touchpad, raising the price after the fire sale is odd.
    It remains to be seen if they will sell out at the new price. The Kindle Fire will cost less.
  12. DeadVim's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    In my fascination with the Touchpad, I'd actually forgotten the purpose I'd originally bought it. To hold me over until something better comes along. It seems I was in my right mind before I bought it. And now, I've let my dreams run away with me.

    Everybody's waiting around like it's going to get better, even though it's getting worse. HPTouchpad.com has gotten less than 1,000 hits over the past two weeks. Consumers and HP alike considers it dead.

    They can't hear our voices.
    I bought it on a whim and I've not once questioned my decision.

    I'll be honest with you, despite being a techie, I didn't know it ran webOS. And didn't really care when I discovered it did. I saw the 'fire sale' thing and headed for the door.

    My complete lack of expectation is probably in stark contrast to the supporters of webOS over the last few years who have been looking forward to this tablet.

    How much official support it gets will remain to be seen but the efforts of the non-HP developers is admirable.

    I ran Windows ME on a laptop many moons ago, I know what real OS pain feels like
  13. #53  
    People say moving forward. What do they mean by that? Updates to the system, an App store? Sounds like wanting a new device.

    The touchpad serves my tablet needs 6/10 as is. For HP to "move forward" would require...well, first you would need a time machine.

    But here's something that will blow your mind:

    You take the App Store away from the iPad or any An-Tab, and I guarantee it will be in a worse position than the Touchpad. :0 *~Wahh~*...

    But then again, any company that's behaved like HP has the last few weeks, would not have a business.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    Will it really be worth it for them, for us....to bring it back, after all this...

    The dream is being polluted every day...HP does know they're on a time limit, right? A new and better tablet could come out any day now.

    The Kindle, possibly the iPad 3, Windows 8 tablet and whatever else...

    Why do they want people to buy WebOS? They basically took WebOS off the shelf, put it in the trash, took it back out, and now they're trying to sell it.
    HP are NOT 'bringing it back'.. they simply have a rumoured 100,000 + UNassembled boards, chassis and screens sitting in warehouses in Asia as inventory, that they either get fined for dumping there against their original contracts, OR get them slapped together and onto the open market at any price (rpreferably a 'higher' one methinks!).

    This 'loss' will still be cheaper for HP than paying their contract breaking fines.

    It will be interesting however, to see if any 'Mk 11' TP's.. ie. 3/4G and/or 64Gb models, 'sneak out' with this final production run.. how much would one of those be worth to you?

    Rumours of a WebOS 3.0.3 update coming.. Ha!.. probably to include much of what the excellent Homebrew Community here, have spent the last weeks working on anyway!!

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/04/2011 at 02:27 AM.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    People say moving forward. What do they mean by that? Updates to the system, an App store? Sounds like wanting a new device.

    The touchpad serves my tablet needs 6/10 as is. For HP to "move forward" would require...well, first you would need a time machine.

    But here's something that will blow your mind:

    You take the App Store away from the iPad or any An-Tab, and I guarantee it will be in a worse position than the Touchpad. :0 *~Wahh~*...

    But then again, any company that's behaved like HP has the last few weeks, would not have a business.
    If HP is done with the Touchpad as they say they are, people will be owning a hardware box with an OS that is frozen in time.

    Take away software from any computer and it's useless. Your point doesn't make any sense.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    It will be interesting however, to see if any 'Mk 11' TP's.. ie. 3/4G and/or 64Gb models, 'sneak out' with this final production run.. how much would one of those be worth to you?
    I don't know, but what if they sneak out some Go's as well...? the lions will roar.

    People say the Touchpad is dead, but it was birthed only weeks ago..

    Oh, Why must the good die young? And why are they always the first to go?

    Seriously though, if you read what HP has said, you would understand why they did what they did, what they're trying to do, and why the revival of the Touchpad is not happening. And you can accept it. HP wanted the Touchpad to be #2. And it is. Unfortunately, it did not meet their monetary expectations. I'm at peace with it. There's no need to be a freedom fighter. I always get backlash about this because it's not what people want to hear. But it's true.

    The HP Touchpad is the Adonis of tablet PC's.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    See:

    HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB | HP® Official Store

    Is $249 going to be the "new" firesale price?

    It matches what the HP's have been going for on EBay and CL....
    While i think thats still a good price, a lot of the touchpads on ebay are getting relisted so idk if that price will really fly with consumers. I mean ffs they laid off a ton of webos workers... its basically a dead tablet.
    HP Touchpad 32gb
    I'm not an doctor, but I play one in real life.
  18. #58  
    $250 is a somewhat reasonable price for the TP. Granted I'm cheap and I'll freely admit that I only bought/wanted this because of the fire sale. My reasons for buying it was it was first and foremost cheaper than the competition and well..That's about it. Do I regret my decision to buy this product? Not really and probably even less so when android gets put on it to make it do what I really bought it for which is PDF magazines, comic books, and an ereader.

    Now that I own one and see it's limitations would I buy another 32 gig version for $250 at this current time? No, not with the apps not working or being garbage. The hardware is fine but what good is hardware when the software makes it seem useless? Out of the 3 things I bought it for it only does Comics reasonably well. Get the software to catch up to the hardware and it'll be worth $250 until then no.

    The lack of 3g or cameras doesn't mean anything to me I prefer that it doesn't have them nor do I care about the lack of a video out, the only thing I'd want hardware wise would be a micro SD slot or even an SD slot. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how they can release a tablet at the $500 level and not have sd capabilities. Or be able to easily access my desktop via wireless, why must I constantly transfer files via usb?

    Just like the Kindle Fire which also doesn't have an SD slot. I don't like having to rely on some cloud server to get at what I have, I want it regardless of if I'm in an area that has wifi/3g. Does this make me single minded and biased? Absolutely! I'm a consumer I'm allowed to question what I spend, or don't spend, my money on. Which is one of the reasons why I'll never own an apple product

    *edit*

    I guess I should clarify when I say "software" before I get flamed, which will probably happen anyway. Webos seems decent enough I do like it, but the apps just aren't out there. This will probably change with the huge influx of people who bought TPs recently but again, to me, the software in no way matches the hardware. I don't like the browser, lack of decent pdf usability, and having to sideload into kindle because the other ereader apps are not very good, and neither is the kindle for that matter, it's just "better" than the others.
    Last edited by Silveradoguy85; 10/04/2011 at 08:17 AM.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOWD View Post
    I don't know, but what if they sneak out some Go's as well...? the lions will roar.

    People say the Touchpad is dead, but it was birthed only weeks ago..

    Oh, Why must the good die young? And why are they always the first to go?

    Seriously though, if you read what HP has said, you would understand why they did what they did, what they're trying to do, and why the revival of the Touchpad is not happening. And you can accept it. HP wanted the Touchpad to be #2. And it is. Unfortunately, it did not meet their monetary expectations. I'm at peace with it. There's no need to be a freedom fighter. I always get backlash about this because it's not what people want to hear. But it's true.

    The HP Touchpad is the Adonis of tablet PC's.
    Hmm.. yeah.. a few 'Go's wouldn't Go amiss!

    There is such irony in everything HP has - (AND hasn't!) done, regarding the TP isn't there! An initially overpriced & underdeveloped unit aimed at 'fatwallet execs' to track and improve their 'productivity'.. and it instead also ended up in the hands of thousands of kids many of whom probably spent their last $100 or $150 on it.. and are now hanging to crank it up and mutate the hell out of it!

    Sure.. their INTENT to get #2 below A*ple manifested just fine for 'em!

    ..But.. er.. not quite in the way that it was 'supposed' to, methinks!

    Do you think they read this stuff?
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/04/2011 at 09:48 AM.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx100 View Post
    See:

    HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32GB | HP® Official Store

    Is $249 going to be the "new" firesale price?

    It matches what the HP's have been going for on EBay and CL....
    ordered my 32G on 9/28/11...$149.00 + $11.00 shipping

    order confirmed 9/28/11....

    shipping notification 10/1/11

    estimated delivery 10/5/11

    so think this HP increasing prices is a "red herring/troll"

    delivered and came with webos 3.0.2 installed...
    Last edited by fgdn17; 10/05/2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: delivered today.........!!!!!!!!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions