Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    Who in the world is asking to pay more? I will never buy from hp again
    I wouldn't ask to pay more but if it means there is ANY way the touchpad would survive it's a good thing. And even at the revised pricing it's still a great deal IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    I wouldn't ask to pay more but if it means there is ANY way the touchpad would survive it's a good thing. And even at the revised pricing it's still a great deal IMHO.
    Ok that makes sense but what doesn't make sense is over a month ago I ordered and still have no tp. Yet they still r selling more and more at even higher prices. Mind boggling. I wish everyone gets one at a fair price. Do I hope web os survives sure. I will be adding dual boot just for fun and just in case web os does die. Ice cream sandwich would be nice. I'll admit nothing in the market now is slicker than cards

sent from my thunderbolt
    The reason why their charging a higher price is why not charge a higher price. Its what the market will bear. All the idiots that bid them up on ebay u dont think their marketing department looked at this. These really aren't as good as everybody thinks this is a fad that will die just like the beanie baby. Get real people. I have one for the price there okay to look up on the internet slow sluggish sometimes. Yes I did all the whistle and bell updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR6vs911T View Post
    The reason why their charging a higher price is why not charge a higher price. Its what the market will bear. All the idiots that bid them up on ebay u dont think their marketing department looked at this. These really aren't as good as everybody thinks this is a fad that will die just like the beanie baby. Get real people. I have one for the price there okay to look up on the internet slow sluggish sometimes. Yes I did all the whistle and bell updates.
    I know this tablet is not a beast that's why I'm hoping ics will arrive

sent from my thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    I know this tablet is not a beast that's why I'm hoping ics will arrive

sent from my thunderbolt
    im hoping someone comes up with another platform I agree totally with you
    Realistically they have a place in the market. People who need to do work will purchase full computers but even that line is blurring. As time passes I think more people will get tablets and the price will surely be more than $99.99.
    Seems like a lot of manipulation going on here I think. I know I'm more Touchpad biased, but has this sort of stuff been going on all along? With the pre's and the veers and such?
    its the price they should have sold them out as the fire sale price. $99 & $149 were stupid prices. Almost as though someone at HP said - they'll never sell any price- and doubted they would clear out at that price.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    yup hp just confirmed it was a glitch in their system. no actual touchpads were sold.
    Hwoo. What a relief. I knew it wouldn't be in stock for that long.
    locbuondoi likes this.
    Before the firesale, I told a friend of mine that I would consider getting one of the 16GB models if it sold for under $200. At this point, I'm so frustrated with my cancelled $99 orders and the hype of this thing that I've pretty much given up on the Touchpad.

I'll probably move to the iPhone 5 next and maybe an iPad next year. If I see a decent TP deal on Craig's List next spring then maybe I'll pick one up for old time's sake!
    If they are indeed checking out demand at a new price point, that could mean they may be at least kicking around the idea of keeping webOS around, which I think is a good thing.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Myn’s Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    untitled likes this.
    What an unpredictable company.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    hi guys sorry for the confusion, but its not confirmed that the sale was a glitch. The website went live twice yesterday. The second time was much shorter and that was the confirmed glitch. The first time, the longer one, no update whether any of that really went through.
    I think it’s a very bad idea if HP raises their official price to sell TouchPads higher than firesale prices. We already got TouchPads at the firesale prices and the product did not improve. So there’s no justification from the consumers’ view to raise the price.

I like the TouchPad for what it does right, but it doesn’t even have 2 webcams, or Video ports. So I would not pay anything more for a TouchPad than the $150 I paid for the 32 GB version. It’s just not worth it.

The iTouch 2 isn’t worth $500 either. I looked at the Apple website: all their devices are overpriced, and more people should say no to Apple until they make prices reasonable.

For this reason HP should not be trying to match Apple’s prices, because Apple’s prices are too high in the first place. Apple needs to come down with prices, not HP go up.

If prices are raised, then HP is not learning the lesson from the firesale: If the price is right, then youll make lots of sales quickly.
    HP has this last chance to revive the TouchPad's future by selling at firesale prices, while at the same time dramatically increasing the amount of TouchPads that exist in consumer hands.
    This will blow Apple away, this will be good for webOS, and more importantly, this will be good for TouchPad owners, while redeeming HP in the eyes of consumers.

If you were a HP CEO then seriously think about this: What is the future of tablet devices? :

1) The cost WILL go down.
    2) The devices WILL become better.
    3) Tablets WILL be in the hands of more people.

Now as HP, do you want more tablet sales for Apple devices?? Or do you want more tablet sales for HP?

Do you want to help webOS establish a greater presence in the app community with more users to drive growth, or do you want to allow Apple and Android to remain app kings?

Your TouchPad device hasn’t gotten better. So do you want to turn potential buyers away from buying a tablet at all because they are waiting for something better?
    Or do you want to undercut Apple and get consumers' money in your hands NOW, not later - when they have less of an incentive to buy.

If you can ignore greed in exchange for more wealth down the road - by mass sales, then the choices are simple:

Announce HP will start making TouchPads again, and sell them at firesale prices. This will lead to:

A) Consumers will have a big incentive to choose HP over Apple for the current tablet devices and rush to buy.
    B) Apple stock prices will instantly go down while HP stock prices go up.
    C) After all the sales, webOS will rise in rank, and you will have the foundation of HP/ webOS users to build on, when your next gen devices come out.

-----------
    Don’t be greedy like Apple by bringing in the wealth with overpricing and selling devices as “luxury items.”
    That business model won't last.

Build your empire based on fair prices, then you will have more loyal and happy consumers who can feed your wealth in the future.

Example: Apple sells 1 tablet @ $500 to a wealthier person (or quick spender) and makes $500. That is 1 more person who may spend additional money on apps/ accessories.

But HP can sell 5 tablets @ $100 each, to 5 less wealthy people ( or common sense people who simply refuse to waste money on an overpriced item which will be obsolete in a year) and make $500 as well.
    And that is 5 more people who may spend additional money on apps/ accessories.
    But ALSO it increases the HP “population” and there are more "less wealthy people" than "wealthier people," to feed continued sales.

When you have the best empire (business model) established, then you can bring in the wealth - with the bonus of more happiness (returning consumers) and better moral (higher stock prices).

It’s simple logic.
    What does this have to do with Apple or a business model. Building touchpads for $300 and selling them for anything less is a bad business model and illogical, unless you're getting out of the business. What Apple is doing or not doing has nothing to do with it.
    untitled likes this.
    What does this have to do with Apple or a business model. Building touchpads for $300 and selling them for anything less is a bad business model and illogical, unless you're getting out of the business. What Apple is doing or not doing has nothing to do with it.
    Yes it does, because Apple is a competitor. Apple devices are overpriced *thus there is a wall preventing many people from spending money on tablets*, *which means HP has a chance to open the gates instead of making a restrictive wall, and allow more consumers in to buy from HP instead of Apple.* Do you want HP to think they should overprice too?

And who said it costs $300 to build TouchPads? Go look at the history of computer prices. They start off very high and go down because the device doesn’t cost as much as the company wants the consumer to think. Or because the companies actively find ways to reduce costs, to make greater net profile from increased sales.
    Last edited by ken3; 10/03/2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: *added more logic
    Apple is only a competitor if HP plans to stay in the tablet business which it doesn't appear is the case with their pricing. It was iSuppli who said the 16GB model costs $306 to build and the 32GB model costs $328 to build. While you're right that the history of computer prices start off high and go down, that same history will tell you that companies who sell products for 1/3 of manufacturing costs don't stay in that business. If HP lowers the price by finding a way to cut costs, fine, but simply slashing prices means they are existing the business.
    Will it really be worth it for them, for us....to bring it back, after all this...

The dream is being polluted every day...HP does know they're on a time limit, right? A new and better tablet could come out any day now.

The Kindle, possibly the iPad 3, Windows 8 tablet and whatever else...

Why do they want people to buy WebOS? They basically took WebOS off the shelf, put it in the trash, took it back out, and now they're trying to sell it.
    Last edited by DreamOWD; 10/03/2011 at 11:59 PM.
    Apple is only a competitor if HP plans to stay in the tablet business which it doesn't appear is the case with their pricing.
    HP still owns webOS and that makes Apple, Android, competitors.
    WebOS and HP are on the same team, so if HP wants the team to survive or be better, then it's natural for HP to do its share by creating more tablets which drive webOS development in a more powerful way - driven by a bigger user base. It's easy to see that if there are less TouchPad, veer, etc users, then there is less incentive to develop webOS under HP.

The OP link showed prices listed at $249. So whether it was a glitch or HP trying to test the waters of selling the TouchPad at higher prices… that new price is still below the Build cost, which you linked to. So that brings into question if the Build cost listed at that article is indeed true.
    Where did they get their information from? From HP manufactures who might purposely state a higher cost, to support selling devices at higher prices as Apple does?

Either way, I personally do not think the 16 GB TouchPad is worth more than $99 and many others obviously did not think so either, because they did not rush to buy them until the price was reduced.
    I would pay more money for a Touchpad if it had 2 cameras and Video out ports, but otherwise, HP trying to raise the price on the same product that already sold for $99, wont go over well with consumers.

HP has an opportunity to re enter the tablet market by using the lesson of the firesale and undercut Apple, etc.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast