1.    #1  
    Just received a touchpad and wanted to know if there was a mainframe 3270 emulator for it? I did a search on the forums and google and didn't get any promising results.
    Indicating by the lack of replies and going with what I know, I would be willing to bet that there isn't one.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the quick reply...that's what I thought. Interesting since I know apple and android have apps for them so I was hoping there was one.
    A 3270 emulator would be so useful! It's a bit of a kludge, but I use SplashTop to my PC & then run emulator there.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    A 3270 emulator would be so useful! It's a bit of a kludge, but I use SplashTop to my PC & then run emulator there.
    I'll have to look into that. I was using teamviewer on my iphone but I was having some issues with the web login through the touch pad.

Only issue I think I'll run into is once I remote over to my pc server at home, I'll have to then VPN into the network to use the emulator successfully which I think will disconnect the remote connection. I can VPN into the touchpad but I just don't have a emulator.

But thanks for the heads up on splashtop. I will use that in place of teamviewer.
    I'm sure this is possible to add as source code is available at x3270.bgp.nu: x3270

However, debian have an x3270 package (and c3270), so if you have debian chroot installed, then it might be possible to install x3270 and fonts in debian chroot environment, as armel is one of the supported architectures:
    Debian -- Details of package x3270 in squeeze
    Debian -- Details of package xfonts-x3270-misc in squeeze

Ubuntu have an x3270 package too:
    Ubuntu -- Details of package x3270 in natty

But in ubuntu, the x3270 package doesn't seem to be available for the armv7 architecture, so right now you'd either have to compile from source or go for the debian option.

So you'd need to follow the instructions to install debian chroot (debian package in preware) and then in debian chroot, add the lines for non-free feeds to /etc/apt/sources.list and then install the x3270 and xfonts-x3270-misc packages (using apt-get).
  7.    #7  
    I'll take a look and see what I can do. Thanks for the detailed lead and info.
    Did you ever get either of these to work?

I was thinking of trying to get my touchpad to connect to work, and was hoping someone else had already tried something that I could use.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by alex80386 View Post
    Debian -- Details of package xfonts-x3270-misc in squeeze

So you'd need to follow the instructions to install debian chroot (debian package in preware) and then in debian chroot, add the lines for non-free feeds to /etc/apt/sources.list and then install the x3270 and xfonts-x3270-misc packages (using apt-get).
    One thing I learnt about xfonts (from other terminals in debian), you need to add the xfonts to the Xserver in webOS (just having the debian package for the fonts in the chroot won't be enough).
  10.    #10  
    I did not. I had to load Android OS as a dual boot and there is a TN3270 app in the android market. It is not that great but it works (at least for me).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWesterman View Post
    Did you ever get either of these to work?

I was thinking of trying to get my touchpad to connect to work, and was hoping someone else had already tried something that I could use.

Brian
    holy crap, people still use 3270? i haven't seen a system that speaks 3270 in probably 20 years.. holy cow.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    holy crap, people still use 3270? i haven't seen a system that speaks 3270 in probably 20 years.. holy cow.
    Was thinking the same thing! Had to actually rack my brain for a second or two to remember what 3270 emulation was!
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
  13.    #13  
    lol...The gov still has a lot of mainframes. We code the web interface and communicate with the mainframe through mq...but we still need to code sometimes on the ibms.
    Last time I think I saw a 3270, was at the grocery store chain I used to work at back in '92, they were upgrading all their 70's era terminals to OS/2 based systems that ran nothing but a TN3270 emulator, to talk to their stock systems that were all located upstate.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: