Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zappcatt
  • 1 Post By SnotBoogie
  • 1 Post By samab
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    hp did webOS a favor by killing it, now everyone knows it and wants it!

Why HP's WebOS could be foundation for next Kindle Fire | ZDNet
    This has raised an interesting thought. Amazon didn't design the actual hardware for the Fire. What if Amazon is joining a partnership with HP? Let HP handle the hardware design and manufacturing while Amazon forms webOS into the platform they want it to be. It wouldn't be the first time HP has partnered with another company. In fact, my old 40GB iPod has an HP logo on the back.
    I don't understand.
    webOS' strong points are multitasking for productivity and contact management.
    a kindle tablet is built around media consumption and delivery. Multitasking is not required whatsoever, and Amazon has no interest in the enterprise market, where contact management is important.
    it just makes no sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    I don't understand.
    a kindle tablet is built around media consumption and delivery. Multitasking is not required whatsoever, and Amazon has no interest in the enterprise market, where contact management is important.
    Actually, it makes perfect sense. Amazon sells movies, apps, and music. Having a multi-tasking device to handle all of that would be perfect. Amazon is the only company that could challenge Apple in content. So having a multitasking device would be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Actually, it makes perfect sense. Amazon sells movies, apps, and music. Having a multi-tasking device to handle all of that would be perfect. Amazon is the only company that could challenge Apple in content. So having a multitasking device would be perfect.
    Why? So I could have a movie playing on one card while I'm reading a book on another? Makes perfect sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Why? So I could have a movie playing on one card while I'm reading a book on another? Makes perfect sense to me.
    I for one welcome our new Amazonian overlords.
    actually...

it doesnt. the amount of "content" has nothing to do with multitasking and contacts. i just dont see people jumping between movies, music, games, and books in a WORK/SCHOOL environment however jumping between notes, documents, appointments, contacts, messages, and etc is pretty much required

*I* wish google would buy webos and incorporate its awesome features into android
    I just don't see Amazon doing anything productive with webOS, however if they did I would embrace it. I love Amazon's ecosystem and what I've seen of the Kindle has been very slick. Their attitude towards customers is also extremely promising. I still don't know if they suck at writing software yet though.
    I just don't see Amazon doing anything productive with webOS, however if they did I would embrace it. I love Amazon's ecosystem and what I've seen of the Kindle has been very slick. Their attitude towards customers is also extremely promising. I still don't know if they suck at writing software yet though.
    Not happening.

This rumor is false.

It makes no sense for Amazon to buy webos. Amazon already have what they need. They have no interest in the smartphone market. And the Kindle tablets already do whar Amazon needs from them.

And even if Amazon were interested in buying webos (they aren't) it would be bad for us. No more wwebos on smaerphones.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    unless you work for hp or amazon, you can't say if it is or is not false

Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Not happening.

This rumor is false.

It makes no sense for Amazon to buy webos. Amazon already have what they need. They have no interest in the smartphone market. And the Kindle tablets already do whar Amazon needs from them.

And even if Amazon were interested in buying webos (they aren't) it would be bad for us. No more wwebos on smaerphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Except HP let all those people go a week and a half ago, and the weakest point of webOS since Day One has been its hardware quality.

ummm no. The weak point with the Touchpad is its software was not ready for release when they released it. The thing is almost unusable until you add a BUNCH of home brew patches to fix some of their screw ups, and then OC with a home brew kernel.
    Why does it take a minute to boot?

It is going to be awesome hardware when Android gets on it.
    beardedspoooon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zappcatt View Post
    ummm no. The weak point with the Touchpad is its software was not ready for release when they released it. The thing is almost unusable until you add a BUNCH of home brew patches to fix some of their screw ups, and then OC with a home brew kernel.

It's always been awesome hardware, and software for that matter. Android will just make it look really ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheburashka View Post
    actually...

it doesnt. the amount of "content" has nothing to do with multitasking and contacts. i just dont see people jumping between movies, music, games, and books in a WORK/SCHOOL environment however jumping between notes, documents, appointments, contacts, messages, and etc is pretty much required

*I* wish google would buy webos and incorporate its awesome features into android
    Google won't fool with webOS. Too expensive as compared to Android.

That being said, having webOS on the Fire would reduce their potential legal fees significantly as well as give them a turn key OS without having to wait on Google to do something with it to move it forward.

There's something to be said for having that kind of control. As for the multitasking thing, to each his own.
    I don't understand.
    i'm with you. I don't think this makes that much sense. If you look at kindles they are all about hiding the os and keeping you doing stuff that they can charge you for, books and music. the other thing is i think they have an app store now so why would you switch o.s. and lose your cut of the app store with a platform change? And why would you feel a need to switch. It's not broke. I don't see the value of switching just to switch. As i said before too if amazon bought webos i'd bet you'd never see another webos phone. Not that you've seen one really anyways. And if they did buy webos i'd bet they'd cover it like they cover android to make it a kindle look. hell it's probably cheaper to just buy the company that made the card view interface for android and just lop that onto your android version if you really want multitasking which for the same reasons you said i don't think is that important to them.

All that being said. Companies do stupid stuff. And i didn't fully understand HP buying webos when it never was really in the phone bus with any real success. Companies do stupid stuff all the time. See: AOL.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    With the Silk browser where all the heavy html/javascript/css works are done in the cloud, why would Amazon buy webos.

You might as well make webos a dumb terminal.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    snip...Let HP handle the hardware design and manufacturing while Amazon forms webOS into the platform they want it to be.
    HP's handling of the hardware was part of the problem. You may have liked it, but obviously the public didn't. Before anyone sees the OS, the first thing you see is the form factor. The form factor of the Touchpad does not scream buy me.

Quote Originally Posted by zappcatt View Post

Ammm Yes. The hardware and form factor is lacking. It's missing some key features other tablets have which add to the selling point. The Touchpad may have been great in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    It's always been awesome hardware, and software for that matter. Android will just make it look really ugly.
    The history of the tablet speaks volumes against this thought. The fact that HP killed it should clue you in that the hardware was not that awesome.(It was not the only contributing factor in its demise.) It was not selling.
    Yes it had one of the highest spec'd processors, but that is not all that makes a tablet.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 10/03/2011 at 07:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I don't understand.
    There are other issues, but with regard to this... multitasking and media... I think that media consumption + facebook + twitter + messaging represents how a lot of people consume content these days. Not really sure why, but there you go.