Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm wondering whether I should splurge 2 Benjamins and 2 Jacksons to go for this tablet.

I'll be using it for typing, email, youtube/movie viewing, some audio, and mostly web browsing. I'm basically upgrading from a Thinkpad (back when IBM made those laptops in the 90s) to something more usable. I'm worried the TP might become obsolete, but it would be fine if the dual-boot Android hack comes out.

Basically if purchased, the tablet will become my netbook until I get a laptop for college next year.

I hear the web browser is unreliable at times... if so, that's a huge turnoff. However, I don't care about having to out of my way to fix/homebrew stuff, if it helps the overall tablet experience.

Any advice appreciated.
    JB
    yes, buy it.

but no tablet can completely replace a PC (not even iPhad) so hang on to your laptop... Besides, you need a PC to install preware.
    IMO, this cannot replace a netbook. Taking notes on a touch screen can be quite difficult, especially since the typing program (autocorrect) isn't as accurate as an ipad2. You can buy a keyboard to accompany it, but then it defeats the purpose of it being ultra-portable. But it can pretty much do everything else (movie, email, web browse) you mention above.

PS.I bought mine for $240 too, not regretting one bit
    After the overclocking and patches, I think it's sweet device to have for less than $300. One comment I'll make is the choppy/laggy web browsing experience - esp streaming videos from youtube, ctv, etc.
  5.    #5  
    Oh, I have a PC, it's just that my parents are using it all the time, and I usually resort to Internet through my iPod touch (too small screen, it strains my eyes).

I do have a functioning Bluetooth keyboard, so I hope that'll take away from the touch-typing issue.

How bad is the choppiness? I'm not planning to view many Flash videos, but who knows.
    JB
    I would buy it for $240.00 i just got mine new from Amazon.com for $260.00 mine came with the dock charger all for $260.00 but i would've spent $240.00 on the 32GB touchpad alone. I myself didnt want to continue searching for the $149 ones since as soon as they become available they're bought out right away so I paid a little more for mine which was worth it. Its really not a bad tablet considering i mostly do emails on it and surf the web in which i havent had any problems with the web browser on the Touchpad. I'd say go for it, usually if you wait around to long they'll be out of stock then you'll have to start your search all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadron View Post
    After the overclocking and patches, I think it's sweet device to have for less than $300. One comment I'll make is the choppy/laggy web browsing experience - esp streaming videos from youtube, ctv, etc.
    You needs to install the "disable cache" patch found here on the forum. It will dramatically improves the browser speed by 40-50%, I'd say. You will need Preware installed to install Internalz pro from Preware. Then Internalz pro will install patch for you. Reboot after patch installs. The most important posts of the thread below are #1, #59 and #85.

here is link to thread.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ser-cache.html

Hopefully this patch or code will be incorporated in the next webOS version.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    It's up to you. TP's are good deal as long as you buy for what it is. As in it's not a iPad,notebook replacement.

Hmm....Makes me wonder what to do with my xtra 32gb and touchstone. Was thinking using them for an Xmas gift. Maybe I'll put on craigslist as I can't stand eBay. Would rather deal face to face with somebody than get scammed by papal or eBay. I figure southern CA would have to have somebody looking for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoonBug812 View Post
    I'm wondering whether I should splurge 2 Benjamins and 2 Jacksons to go for this tablet.

I'll be using it for typing, email, youtube/movie viewing, some audio, and mostly web browsing. I'm basically upgrading from a Thinkpad (back when IBM made those laptops in the 90s) to something more usable. I'm worried the TP might become obsolete, but it would be fine if the dual-boot Android hack comes out.

Basically if purchased, the tablet will become my netbook until I get a laptop for college next year.

I hear the web browser is unreliable at times... if so, that's a huge turnoff. However, I don't care about having to out of my way to fix/homebrew stuff, if it helps the overall tablet experience.

Any advice appreciated.
    JB
    Context of my advice: I bought 4 Touchpads: one for me, one each for my two youngest (teens) and one for my sister-in-law (who has two toddlers and needs mobility to do the web and Facebook etc.).

I'd say do not buy a TP if it will stretch you financially. I think a Laptop is a much better investment for a college student. The advantage of the TP for you might only be the mobility and weight when you're relaxing and surfing the web or sending a few e-mails, maybe playing some games.

But you can buy a laptop cushion-device for your lap for much less money if you want to use your laptop while sitting somewhere away from your desk (we have the Logitech model and it's great--about $50 to $70 last time I looked).

I just don't think a tablet is a smart buy if your a college student on a tight budget and you need to type papers and/or do some power computing with sophisticated software in addition to the fun/easy stuff. The TP will likely be very obsolete in a year or two, but a laptop should at least last you through your college career.

Please note that I'm a big webOS fan since the Palm Pre launch and I now have a Sprint Franken Pre 2. I really enjoy my Touchpad, but it wasn't a budget buster for me. Both of my two oldest need their laptops, but the TP was a nice-to-have, not a must-have.

Hope that helps and good luck!
    dignitary and OleSalt like this.
    TouchPad, ipad, maxi pad, I don't care how great they are, non of these can replace a good laptop period. You can get a great 14 inch laptop for around $500 with outstanding battery life and highly portable, so get that first then work on getting a tablet.
    dignitary likes this.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the advice so far.
    Thing is, I'm not interested AT ALL in investing in a laptop until I actually go to college. That's because I have a home PC to utilize already which works fine for more intensive applications such as audio production, video editing, etc. I will get a laptop when the time comes. The Touchpad purchase won't set me back financially, as I can easily make that amount back from working.

So with that in consideration, is a $240 TP a good deal for web surfing, music listening, video viewing -- ie will it be a good media tablet for the money?

JB
    Last edited by JoonBug812; 10/02/2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoonBug812 View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far.
    Thing is, I'm not interested AT ALL in investing in a laptop until I actually go to college. That's because I have a home PC to utilize already which works fine for more intensive applications such as audio production, video editing, etc. The Touchpad purchase won't set me back financially, as I can easily make that amount back.

So with that in consideration, is a $240 TP a good deal for web surfing, music listening, video viewing -- ie will it be a good media tablet for the money?

JB
    Having just purchased a 32GB touchpad last week i would say yes. I use mine mainly for emails, surfing on the web along with watching youtube videos, so if a laptop is not needed at the present time i'd say go for the HP Touchpad 32GB the price definately is far less than any other tablets on the market. I wouldn't spend $400 or $500 on some of the other tablets out there. The Touchpad is the best deal in my opinion and at $240 its not a bad price its hard to find the $149 ones.
    don't get a laptop for school. It will get broken/lost/stolen. A desktop PC in your room and a touchpad for class is an idea combination, and much cheaper. IMHO
    My TouchPad costed me roughly $343 US. Go for it.
    IMHO the web browser is both one of the biggest dependencies and weaknesses of the Touchpad. Not meaning to disparage the Touchpad but I think we all know the browser doesn't compare well with modern browsers in some respects. There are workarounds until a real solution comes along, Splashtop to allow using a PC browser, Ubuntu to allow a Linux browser. Just sayin, take that into consideration so you won't be surprised & disappointed.
    Get it!

:-)
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Wait a little because the ebay prices are falling. I can't say it is a great device but if you can get it really cheap it might be worth it.
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    don't get a laptop for school. It will get broken/lost/stolen. A desktop PC in your room and a touchpad for class is an idea combination, and much cheaper. IMHO
    A nice netbook is much better for taking notes. The tp keyboard is so laggy and the auto correct is so horrible that you will end up wasting so much time trying to take down the notes. Might as well just write it. I already tried it and it was just bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    A nice netbook is much better for taking notes. The tp keyboard is so laggy and the auto correct is so horrible that you will end up wasting so much time trying to take down the notes. Might as well just write it. I already tried it and it was just bad.
    I don't like the auto correct either so turned it off. Can't comment on it being "laggy" as I have no idea what that means.
    I got mine for $280 including touchstone, case and skinomi.

though havent seem someone selling for that amount again on criagslist
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast