Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Yes I think so....

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    Quote Originally Posted by JoonBug812 View Post
    Oh, I have a PC, it's just that my parents are using it all the time, and I usually resort to Internet through my iPod touch (too small screen, it strains my eyes).

I do have a functioning Bluetooth keyboard, so I hope that'll take away from the touch-typing issue.

How bad is the choppiness? I'm not planning to view many Flash videos, but who knows.
    JB
    I've been pleasantly surprised at how many things I can do with my TouchPad, it's really made my life easier. Now that Splashtop is out, I have absolutely no need for a laptop.

The keyboard will definitely help. I don't have a huge problem with autocorrect, but it does annoy me from time to time, and mainly because I'm used to backing up and self-correcting without looking - so it's really a matter of typing style. I was surprised though, at how quickly and easily I could touch-type on it, I expected to be miserable with a virtual keyboard.

As far as choppiness - I think that anyone experiencing it is simply blaming the TouchPad first and not looking at other factors. I can play a 1080p video from youtube flawlessly, and have run flash videos that others have complained about without a problem. There's a thread around here complaining about slow ping times, but in my experience the TouchPad has been just as fast as anything else out there. My TouchPad is actually better playing video than my desktop is. So my advice to you is that if you do run into problems, don't just blame it on the TouchPad and move on, look at the network you're connected to, I can't be the only one with a smoothly running TouchPad (oh, and it's running the stock kernel as well).

Ultimately, if you're good with spending $240 on it, then go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    don't get a laptop for school. It will get broken/lost/stolen. A desktop PC in your room and a touchpad for class is an idea combination, and much cheaper. IMHO
    That, combined with Splashtop should eliminate the need for a laptop.
  4.    #24  
    I would get splashtop, but that requires wifi. Also, is Splashtop that much better than TeamViewer for iPhone/iTouch? TeamViewer totally sucks...

Thanks guys, is Quickoffice any good for writing papers? I seem to have heard document editing doesn't work on it.

And can someone show me how to install homebrew apps from the computer to the TP? I'm late to the party and don't know what the terms like webos doctor is.

Last thing, has someone figured out a way to get data from the touchpad from a USB stick or SD card?

JB
    Not that I don't think the Touchpad is great (my wife's is awesome with the tweaks I've done to it), but you may consider getting a Blackberry Playbook while they're on sale for 299... then, at least, you get a platform that's still currently supported and will be seeing a SIGNIFICANT update in the coming month... (i.e. 2.0) Plus, they have HDMI out, can easily tether to any phone, give you free tethering if you're a blackberry user, and play 1080p videos with ease... also I prefer the playbook web browser over the touchpad's... seems to work smoother and doesn't give me as many website issues...
    I'm wondering whether I should splurge 2 Benjamins and 2 Jacksons to go for this tablet.

I'll be using it for mostly web browsing. I'm basically upgrading from a Thinkpad but it would be fine if the dual-boot Android hack comes out.

Basically if purchased, the tablet will become my netbook until I get a laptop for college next year.
    JB
    The Web Browser sucks - but that's just IMHO. I've really tried to like it. It's great that I only paid $149. I'm rooting for the dual Android boot but they have a lot of Bugs to work out and it's not looking as promising as it was at first.

I don't think you're going to want to depend on the TP for your Web Browsing. Again - just IMHO. Or as a replacement for your netbook.

If you're going to spend that much $$ then go with something from Lenovo from their Outlet maybe - keep checking to see what comes up for a new notebook in the U line. Even on eBay you can get a good deal in that line.

It could be the dual boot will happen. I hope so.

I'm holding out for the Lenovo Windows line though. I'm not really an Android fan.

I do have a TouchPad. I'm just underwhelmed by the OS. Games? Great. Flash? Great. Browser? Sucks. If you are used to Windows or Firefox or anything like that you will dislike TouchPad's browser. You CAN use it but it's just not what you are used to or what you have liked about it. I wish I could explain it better.

Splashtop? Are you kidding me? Talk about screen freeze on your TouchPad! All you can do is view your desktop. Is that what you want? What are these rave reviews about Splashtop? Yes, I bought it and downloaded it I can view my desktop and that's about it.
    Last edited by allowingtoo; 10/02/2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    At $240 the 32GB Touchpad is a good buy. I paid $220 for a 16GB that I ended up giving to my sister for her birthday when OnSale came through with my firesale priced 32GB.

I didn't regret the 16GB at $220, and after tweaking, I don't think you will either. Even if the functionality is never improved by HP, it's not a bad price for a competent (if slow) web browser, decent media player, and dedicated ereader.

It won't replace a laptop, but with a bluetooth keyboard it will get you 90% of the way there for casual use. Go for it.
    If you want an HP Touchpad, you should get it if you believe the price is right and that it will do everything you need it to do.

You will be paying $90 more than the fire sale price but the fire sale price was pretty much a giveaway.
    I would get splashtop, but that requires wifi. Also, is Splashtop that much better than TeamViewer for iPhone/iTouch? TeamViewer totally sucks...

Thanks guys, is Quickoffice any good for writing papers? I seem to have heard document editing doesn't work on it.

And can someone show me how to install homebrew apps from the computer to the TP? I'm late to the party and don't know what the terms like webos doctor is.

Last thing, has someone figured out a way to get data from the touchpad from a USB stick or SD card?

JB
    Teamviewer is all right, but it lags terribly - so it's all right if you just want to keep an eye on your remote computer. I can stream video smoothly using Splashtop. My point was only that if you felt the need for a laptop in your future that you might reconsider.

Quickoffice can be good, it depends on your needs. For basic paper writing that doesn't require more elaborate formatting it will work fine. I've used it, as well as google docs, to write a few letters an memos. People are complaining because it apparently chokes on docs with bullets, and doesn't give you the full range of document formatting capabilities that are apparently in the versions on other platforms.

Don't worry about webOSdoctor, you would only need that if something goes drastically
    wrong. What you're probably thinking of is webOSQuickinstall. You can use that to install homebrew apps and patches as long as your TouchPad is plugged into your computer. It also installs PreWare, which lets you install homebrew apps and patches right from your TouchPad without using the computer. There are apps in the app catalog that explain how to use each, or you can search these forums - they're easy to find.

Finally, some people around here have had success mounting removable storage using certain USB cables and running commands from the terminal. Again, a search of these forums should get you the info you need. I'm finding that box.net is better for sharing files however.
    After owning this product for a month, I'd say no at that price. If you really want one, get a 16GB for cheaper IMO. Or buy a Kindle Fire. I'm pretty bitter with my TP experience if I imagined I payed more than 200 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post

Splashtop? Are you kidding me? Talk about screen freeze on your TouchPad! All you can do is view your desktop. Is that what you want? What are these rave reviews about Splashtop? Yes, I bought it and downloaded it I can view my desktop and that's about it.

Splashtop works great for me. I go on Starcraft 2 to watch replays, play some simple point and click PC games, watch movies and download music, torrents, streams etc. It's one huge saving grace for me to get use out of TP.
    Last edited by tarbo; 10/02/2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    That, combined with Splashtop should eliminate the need for a laptop.
    I don't know how many years it has been for many in here since they went to college but most of my college courses use Powerpoint. Yes you can view Powerpoints but you can't edit them. Most professors give the annotated version to use in class and you fill in the rest during that period and then you also add to those notes. Laptop is much much better for class than an Touchpad or even an Ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I don't know how many years it has been for many in here since they went to college but most of my college courses use Powerpoint. Yes you can view Powerpoints but you can't edit them. Most professors give the annotated version to use in class and you fill in the rest during that period and then you also add to those notes. Laptop is much much better for class than an Touchpad or even an Ipad.
    There are two problems with your rebuttal, one is that while you mention using powerpoint, you ignore that we're talking about using Splashtop, which would allow you to use Powerpoint on your home computer while in class - assuming the class has wifi (which is not unreasonable).

The second is that I did not say that laptops could be replaced in all cases, and I said to the OP that he could reconsider buying one given what we know so far. It is up to each of us, individually, to determine what suits our needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Invid View Post
    At $240 the 32GB Touchpad is a good buy. I paid $220 for a 16GB that I ended up giving to my sister for her birthday when OnSale came through with my firesale priced 32GB.

I didn't regret the 16GB at $220, and after tweaking, I don't think you will either. Even if the functionality is never improved by HP, it's not a bad price for a competent (if slow) web browser, decent media player, and dedicated ereader.

It won't replace a laptop, but with a bluetooth keyboard it will get you 90% of the way there for casual use. Go for it.
    Given that HP is allegedly selling the 32GB model for $249.99 on their web site right now, you're right!
    Oh wait - did anybody mention EMAIL? And the lack of it? You can get by with Gmail in HTML version if you click that quick enough. Or Hotmail. Or Yahoo. But my Comcast and Outlook isn't working for me. Or if there's a way to make it work, I haven't found it yet.
    My comcast email seems working to be working fine on the touchpad. I'm getting occasional warnings saying my id/password are wrong and to check them, but I was getting that before I got the touchpad, seems to be a comcast issue.
    240$ for a touchpad isn't a bad deal - if you're already looking for a tablet.

It's a nice break from IPAD prices, and it's cheaper than any comparable android tab (not to mention that the touchpad will, quite soon, be the most powerful android tablet available by a large margin).

Will there be some annoyances? Yes. The web browser sometimes graphically glitches on text and that's a little annoying. Browsing certain websites is a pain thanks to an overreliance on cache, lack of apps, etc etc etc. Most of the problems can be fixed with patching, but be aware that you will be patching the device heavily for maximum enjoyment .

Of course, there's a nice big post that'll walk you through it.

I'd say if you already want a tablet, take the plunge. 240$ will get you a wonderful tablet with incredible battery life and usefulness. The community around it will keep the touchpad relevant for years even if HP -has- abandoned it. By the time the touchpad is no longer capable enough you'll be looking for your next "latest greatest" device anyway. There's plenty of complaints because, indeed, the touchpad isn't perfect. Still, I think most people here fail to take into account just how incredible the device is. If you'd have shown me one of these things in 2005 I'd have assumed you were a time traveler or a magician.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    Oh wait - did anybody mention EMAIL? And the lack of it? You can get by with Gmail in HTML version if you click that quick enough. Or Hotmail. Or Yahoo. But my Comcast and Outlook isn't working for me. Or if there's a way to make it work, I haven't found it yet.
    I'm having no issues with my email. Are you running POP3 or IMAP?
    Pop3
    Too late
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Yes. Get it. I use this for notes instead of my 6 month old netbook. It's nice to have something you can keep on and ready to go without it getting hot or burning out the battery. This and my bt keyboard is allso smaller/lighter than my netbook. Web surfing is great.. flash just slows things down sometimes.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast