1.    #1  
    I am thinking of buying a touchpad for 200 from ebay. Could some of the owners of touchpads answer some of my questions please.

How is facebook, I read a review saying notifications dont come through properly.

How is skype, I read the thread about peoples problems with it, also does it work in landscape to fill the screen with the person your talking to

How long does it take to charge?

anyone with an ipad2, is it worth the extra 200.. It is going on a credit card either way so money is not the biggest factor (though if they were both priced the same I would get the ipad2)

Do emails come through as soon as you get them?

If I have notifications turned on and browse the internet, how long will the battery last..

Lastly should I buy one???
    How is facebook, I read a review saying notifications dont come through properly.

Facebook is great. Better than on many other mobile devices I've seen. From what I can tell notifications work fine, although I don't think they are instant. 5 minute delay at most.

How is skype, I read the thread about peoples problems with it, also does it work in landscape to fill the screen with the person your talking to

I've used skype video only a few times and it works. Yes its full screen but I don't think it works in landscape. Skype video needs a good internet connection.

A couple hours I think. Maybe three at most.

anyone with an ipad2, is it worth the extra 200.. It is going on a credit card either way so money is not the biggest factor (though if they were both priced the same I would get the ipad2)

I sell all the tablets at frys electronics and the ipad is no doubt a better quality device. It the operating system I don't care for because of its limitations.

Yes.

If I have notifications turned on and browse the internet, how long will the battery last..

Forever.

As long as you realize you are getting a device that may develop cracks around the speaker openings or charging port or headphone jack. But its a great device and I love mine. If you have an opportunity to play with one for half an hour or so before buying it I suggest you do so.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Honestly I couldn't recommend spending 200 on any tablet that is end of the line unless you are really sure what you are going to do with it. I got mine for 89 and for that price it is a good deal - for 200? I would have to think hard about that one.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Only 1 question to ask yourself. Do you want or need access to apps? IPad has an app for any and everything. The TP does not. If you can live with thelack of apps or a quality web browser, you're good to go with the TP.

The iPad does have a walled garden, but that doesn't mean much if you end up jailbreaking it. And of course ios5 is coming out within weeks.

The short of it is, I like both my TP and ipad2, and if I had to pick one or the other, it wouldbe the ipad2, strictly because of the access to apps. Banking, medical, social, sports, travel and of course apps like Zite just make the iPad the #1 tablet.
    sent from my 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Honestly I couldn't recommend spending 200 on any tablet that is end of the line unless you are really sure what you are going to do with it. I got mine for 89 and for that price it is a good deal - for 200? I would have to think hard about that one.

I wouldn't go so far as to say its not worth 200. People pay that for e readers that have no tablet functionality. Id say the TP is worth up to 300 all things considered, including the firesale.

6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    300 pounds! Once you talk talk that sort of money then I think people should look elsewhere.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I was lucky enough to get a $150 Touchpad from OnSale on this last go around. I'm really happy I did because an iPad just wasn't in the budget. I love WebOS as a platform. It has soooooo much potential and it could easily be better than iOS. But it isn't, and because it's been abandoned, it will never be.

If money isn't the biggest factor, you are much better off going with an iPad. The Touchpad is a ton of fun, but it's also buggy as hell. The biggest problem with that is that those developers are unlikely to put a lot of effort in to further developing the apps, because the platform is dead. I don't expect Facebook, Skype or Kindle (my number one app) to get any better on this platform.

With the exchange rate, 200GBP is about $310 USD. For that price, I'd pass on the Touchpad. If price IS a consideration, I'd probably look at the Amazon Fire, or any other Android tablet that's getting slashed these days (and will probably continue to go down as the Holiday season nears). I wouldn't be surprised to see a Xoom get down to the $300 price point before the year is out.

I hate to say this because I really love webOS. I've waited since day one for this OS to overtake iOS, but it really never has (mainly because of hardware and consumer adoption).

As always, YMMV. Good luck with whatever you go for

matt
    300 pounds! Once you talk talk that sort of money then I think people should look elsewhere.

Ooops. I was talking USD!!

I paid $260.00 for my 32GB Touchpad which came with the Touchstone charging dock from Amazon.com which i thought was a decent deal. I wouldnt pay $300.00 for a Touchpad alone, I would shop around more on the websites i'm sure there are better deals out there.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I don't think the touchpad is all that good due to webOS but hopefully that will be solved when the Android port is released. If you are getting it just for webOS then I would say it is not worth it. I have not touched it for a while and the only use I get out of it is the occasional youtube video. If you are interested in getting Android on it then it might be worth it.

Skype video chat is terrible but audio chat is decent. The facebook app is so laggy that I find it useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    I don't think the touchpad is all that good due to webOS but hopefully that will be solved when the Android port is released. If you are getting it just for webOS then I would say it is not worth it. I have not touched it for a while and the only use I get out of it is the occasional youtube video. If you are interested in getting Android on it then it might be worth it.

Skype video chat is terrible but audio chat is decent. The facebook app is so laggy that I find it useless.
    Any android version < version 3.0 = Meh

Pounds or Dollars?

This is the question!

Depends where you live I guess!

There's gotta be $2-300 worth of hardware alone in a TP!

Quote Originally Posted by pauljon View Post
    I am thinking of buying a touchpad for 200 from ebay. Could some of the owners of touchpads answer some of my questions please.

You ask valid questions, and the answer is: It depends on what you want to do with. Well, that is one of the most important questions. The other is: can you afford to try it out for yourself to make that determination. I do not know what things are like where you live, but in the States, people are still clamoring to get these things, so if you do not like it, you can always re-sell it.

In the course if my of my day, I check emails, FB, Amazon, play some music, watch video, maybe do general surfing. I paid $110 before taxes, and I am happy that I did get it. The F/B app is fine with notifications, all the notifications work very well, and this is one of my favorite parts of the TP. Another is the fact that I do not need apps, as I can go to any site -bookmark it, and put it in the launcher just like an app- and when I tap it- it takes me to the FULL site which I prefer. So, I actually use FB in this way.

I have never used Skype.

Videos and music play exceptionally well! I have an iphone - and l love that I can now watch videos on sites other than YouTube!

The browser needs improvement - you can read about the refreshing problem - and I love to be able yo adjust the font size. I have not overclocking and do not plan to do it, and the speeds are fine for me.

I like the support in these forums - I have learned a lot here, and I cannot imagine true to and webOS lovers ever abandoning the rest of us who are just consumers who were looking to cash in on th HP's misfortune.

it is not perfect - but nothing is - and for me this part of the charm. I am also one who invested in a lot of Chinese unbranded mp3 players before ever buying Samsung, Sony, and Sands - As you may or may not know, some consider the Cowan J3 to be the best sounding touch screen mp3 player out there, but read reviews, and you will see that those same people will criticize it for lacking the polish of an iPod Touch. I think the same could be said about the TP and the iPad.

Were someone to offer me one of those product, I might opt for the iPad - not because it is better - I DO NOT LIKE - the walled garden. It is more polished and therefore more convenient, for the average user who does not want to put a whole lot of thought and energy behind completing tasks - And, if course, it is the most catered to tablet - so much of what average users want, they can find on/for it. Would I BUY one - not for more than $150 of my own money.

I did an email notification test while typing this, and it seems that emails from yahoo showed up immediately in the screen - but not ones from hotmail - they all showed up quickly in the app itself.

If you do not need a lot of apps and the most polished tablet experience - the tp is a great buy at the reduced price. Were there certainty that the software would be further developed and polished, it would be a better buy at more money. I would buy it again, for myself. But I would think twice, as it is now - and folks do not expect it to get better- about giving it to one accustomed to iPad sophistication and ease of use - but I do think that the supported to is a much better product.

Go by your needs, money, expectations, and openness to maybe needing to use this community to get and use tasks that might be a whole lot easily accomplished on the iPad, keeping mind the limitations of the iPad itself.

sorry if I have typos and other errors - still getting used to typing on a tablet -
    oh charge time seems quick to me. My battery in increased by 17% in about 27 minutes while I have been using it, which is about the same rate of my iphone.

P.S. Let me re-iterate that the browser needs work. I typed all of that on my TP and the common log in in problem that some of us have noted in the forums. I had to email this response to myself, then retrieve it and paste it here. Apparently, there is fix for it. I just have not been able to get it work, yet. As of now, this is my biggest complaint about the TP - It otherwise meets my needs.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Any android version < version 3.0 = Meh

Any Android version greater than 2.0 > webOS. I mean webOS does not have a decent doc editor after 2 years and none exists for the phone. Preader is the only ereader and it barely works. There is no msn messenger like Trillian. It is such an embarrassing product and don't talk about how laggy and slow it is.
    Last edited by jamex; 10/02/2011 at 11:14 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the comments.I think you have helped me to decide with your last comment about emailing yourself the reply.

I am a bit of a tinkerer, however having owned an n8 and dealing with work arounds I think ill go Ipad2 route and jailbreak. I appreciate your honesty
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljon View Post
    Thanks for the comments.I think you have helped me to decide with your last comment about emailing yourself the reply.

I am a bit of a tinkerer, however having owned an n8 and dealing with work arounds I think ill go Ipad2 route and jailbreak. I appreciate your honesty
    Too bad, iOS on the iPad is a joke. I've been setting up my dad's ipad2 for the last 4 days and other than apps and animation smoothness the tp beats it. My dad visits his favorite website bbc.com and can't watch or listen to a single media item: "browser plug in required". Yeah, there's an app for that but he can't get it because itunes won't let him sign up without a credit card that he doesn't own so I have to buy an apple gift card at the Apple store 10 miles away.
    Email on the tp, notifications, Skype, keyboard, flash compatibility, synergy are a few of the areas that the tp beats ipad2 hands down and for $300 less it's a no-brainer esp if you don't mind tinkering.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Too bad, iOS on the iPad is a joke. I've been setting up my dad's ipad2 for the last 4 days and other than apps and animation smoothness the tp beats it. My dad visits his favorite website bbc.com and can't watch or listen to a single media item: "browser plug in required". Yeah, there's an app for that but he can't get it because itunes won't let him sign up without a credit card that he doesn't own so I have to buy an apple gift card at the Apple store 10 miles away.
    Email on the tp, notifications, Skype, keyboard, flash compatibility, synergy are a few of the areas that the tp beats ipad2 hands down and for $300 less it's a no-brainer esp if you don't mind tinkering.
    Sorry I have to say that nothing matches iOS for smoothness of UI

The browser sucks. Just my opinion. I'm still waiting for Android to dual boot but it's not looking like they are going to get the bugs worked out any time soon.

You can't use a mouse. That's like a major drawback to me.

However, Picsel is promising that they will be coming to WebOS soon, so that could be a major improvement in the PDF department, which right now is sorely lacking.

I'm holding out for Windows 8 on a Tablet.
    Last edited by allowingtoo; 10/02/2011 at 07:54 PM.