1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    I am going away for a couple of days and in an ideal world, I could simply take my touchpad and a BT keyboard, however as far as I can work out there is currently no functional word processing software (Open Office is so buggy as to be useless)?

I know some people have been using google documents but that requires an internet connection doesn't it (no off-line model like on other platforms)?

Do I have any other options or shall I leave the touchpad at home and take my netbook instead?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I am going away for a couple of days and in an ideal world, I could simply take my touchpad and a BT keyboard, however as far as I can work out there is currently no functional word processing software (Open Office is so buggy as to be useless)?

I know some people have been using google documents but that requires an internet connection doesn't it (no off-line model like on other platforms)?

Do I have any other options or shall I leave the touchpad at home and take my netbook instead?
    I would take the netbook.Plus If you are going to be offline, the touchpad will lose a lot of functionality. More than just word processing.
    Edit: Major oversight - I missed the Internet access part of your post...what I'm talking about definitely needs Internet access...sorry. I'll leave my post up though.

If you haven't already, check out Splashtop ( Get the app for your HP TouchPad )- and buy it since it's $4.99 in the app catalogue (they say it will go up to $19.99 eventually). Then you can login to your desktop via the Touchpad and word process using whatever you have on the computer. I use MS Office.

It saves the file on the desktop, but to get around that, you can email it to yourself afterwards or upload it to a file sharing site if you have to - or "the cloud".

It is because of Splashtop that I now find justification in purchasing a TouchPad keyboard.

Splashtop is a pain in the ***** too use with the touch gestures right now though. But it was just released and it has some bugs to be worked out. I imagine these will be fixed over time. However, once you get this app, you will be extremely happy for the TouchPad just became a very capable and portable device (as long as you have WiFi and at least a dual core computer running the streamer software). If you're crafty you can setup your computer to wake on LAN apparently and then you can connect at your leisure.

I now run Guitar Pro 6 and my guitar software via the TouchPad and they don't have a native app for it yet. One day I am going to try to watch TV via Media Centre on the TouchPad...I imagine it will work fine.
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 10/01/2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Didn't read closely...duh!
  4. zc1
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    A. Netbook
    B. TouchPad w/ Ubuntu + Libre Office
    C. TouchPad w/ Google Docs (requires network access)
    D. TouchPad w/ SplashTop and leave your home computer running the entire time you're away (requires network access)
    Last edited by zc1; 10/02/2011 at 10:50 AM.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    I took my laptop instead for that full fat Windows experience. Splash desktop sounds useful but requires an internet connection.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Good option for now. QuickOffice is too restricting and buggy. If I only have my TP, I find myself composing offline emails to capture text. Lame but no better alternative. Waiting for SmartOffice.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    For just word processing, Scratch is OK, but all the formatting options are in the menu. Typewriter beta is nice & it supports Markdown for formatting. There's also Write Pad, Tapnote, notes!, and pond notes.
    OpenOffice? on the TP?