1.    #1  
    got my new tp today about drove me nuts wouldn't connect to my linksys wrt54g. I use it as a wireless bridge behind my 2wire modem/router I had it on wpa2 and it never would connect. I put latest firmware on router no help. Even with no security if it finds it it says to configure ip. On ocassion it will grab dhcp ip but never displays pages. If I enable my 2 wire wireless I can use any security option I like. Any ideas?
    I connected to my WRT54GTM running Tomato firmware as a WDS bridge with WPA & AES no problems. Guessing if it's saying to configure IP that it's not getting a DHCP response? Are you sure the bridge is working?
  3.    #3  
    I have used this a bridge for 2 years. My laptop connects without issue. Same as neices ipod and then I have items hardwired to it. Ooma, wii, uverse TV and they all use this to pull DHCP from 2wire.

I am running stock firmware though and its 2009 since last update. I have gone into my 2wire and associated that mac with an ip address. I have also manually configured an IP address on the touchpad and it still never connects.

Right before I went to bed I thought maybe I had mac filtering on that device. But I had reset it to default so that should have cleared if I did. Anyway I will play with it more tonight.

I can't use the 2wire wireless because its in my bedroom and next to my computer and it makes the Klipsch speakers hum and crackle.
    See if there's a setting to allow broadcast dhcp.

edit: I guess in a Linksys wrt this is termed dhcp forwarder.
    Last edited by frantid; 10/01/2011 at 10:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blake711 View Post
    got my new tp today about drove me nuts wouldn't connect to my linksys wrt54g. I use it as a wireless bridge behind my 2wire modem/router I had it on wpa2 and it never would connect. I put latest firmware on router no help. Even with no security if it finds it it says to configure ip. On ocassion it will grab dhcp ip but never displays pages. If I enable my 2 wire wireless I can use any security option I like. Any ideas?
    This is a bit of a puzzler. Does the above line in bold mean that the touchpad works with the 2wire wireless if enabled, wasn't clear to me?

I have used this a bridge for 2 years. My laptop connects without issue. Same as neices ipod and then I have items hardwired to it. Ooma, wii, uverse TV and they all use this to pull DHCP from 2wire.

I am running stock firmware though and its 2009 since last update. I have gone into my 2wire and associated that mac with an ip address. I have also manually configured an IP address on the touchpad and it still never connects.

Right before I went to bed I thought maybe I had mac filtering on that device. But I had reset it to default so that should have cleared if I did. Anyway I will play with it more tonight.

I can't use the 2wire wireless because its in my bedroom and next to my computer and it makes the Klipsch speakers hum and crackle.
    Very strange indeed. So if you have a bridge, with 2wire wireless off and Linksys stock firmware, I assume this is a wired bridge via a cat5 cable between the 2wire and Linksys? Not that it probably matters, just trying to get the configuration clear in my mind.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    This is a bit of a puzzler. Does the above line in bold mean that the touchpad works with the 2wire wireless if enabled, wasn't clear to me?

Very strange indeed. So if you have a bridge, with 2wire wireless off and Linksys stock firmware, I assume this is a wired bridge via a cat5 cable between the 2wire and Linksys? Not that it probably matters, just trying to get the configuration clear in my mind.
    Correct if I enable my 2wire wireless which is my uverse modem/router I can connect via no security or any security option I like.

I have the linksys attached to my 2wire via house cat5 and the linksys acts a wireless bridge for all my wireless. I do this because turning on the 2wire wireless is not a prime option. The linksys router was used behind a DSL before I switched to uverse 2 years ago. At that point I started using the Uverse as my DHCP server and router for wire connections and then I use the linksys in another room to host wireless connections and all internet connections to entrainment center and ooma phone service.

The linksys is an v8.2 so tomato isn't an option. There are some other options out there do you have any recommendations that might work with this version?
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Are you forcing your router into 802.11 G only? If so that might be why. I was looking at the back of the box and was amazed that it only shows the 802.11 B logo, I haven't looked more into it, but that would mean it only supports the B end of the wifi spectrum. If you are forcing your router to broadcast in G only that might be why.
    You can load DD-WRT Micro build on a Linksys WRT54G v8.2. It's a bit painful as you have to first get rid of VxWorks then load the firmware and reversing it mean reverting back to VxWorks as well before you can reload the original Linksys firmware. And apparently it's "not always a smooth process" from what I've read. Not to say I wouldn't do it but think carefully about it and if you decide to do it then read the directions carefully, print them out, and follow them to the letter. Maybe a lot of trouble for a "hail Mary" as without having identified the issue there is no way to know if it would help - but it might.

But back to the existing situation. There's no access restrictions or MAC filtering on the Linksys right? A probably dumb question, but do you have a static IP set on the Linksys and if so are all the fields filled out including subnet mask, gateway and DNS? Probably not an issue here but can cause problems, for example on my Tomato routers this can cause NTP to fail so my cron scripts don't run at the correct time. I'm just trying to think through the basics.

Other diagnostic type things you could try, WPA/AES rather than WPA2, but sounds like you may have already tried this, and/or putting DHCP on the Linksys temporarily to see if it makes any difference. Sort of grasping at straws trying to think of what I'd try.
  9.    #9  
    thanks for all the info. I am working today only 7.5 hours left on a 12 hour day. So tonight after I get little ones in bed I will have a look at my options again and see how it goes.

I also attached to wireless at work this morning with no issues. So it has to be something with the router or its config.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Are you forcing your router into 802.11 G only? If so that might be why. I was looking at the back of the box and was amazed that it only shows the 802.11 B logo, I haven't looked more into it, but that would mean it only supports the B end of the wifi spectrum. If you are forcing your router to broadcast in G only that might be why.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kcrockett11 View Post
    No.

Also on the Official HP Touchpad page it lists the following on its wirless specs.

Wireless and Cellular Support
    Dual-band Wi-Fi1 802.11 a/b/g/n with WPA, WPA2, WEP, 802.1X authentication
    My WRT54GTM was actually forced 802.11G mode when I had the Touchpad connected to it and worked fine.
  13.    #13  
    ok this is nuts I come home to work on router now its working. Only thing I can figure is I was blocking macs and reset before I went toned and it turned off mac filtering cleared it. I will keep playing with it and update you later
    ok this is nuts I come home to work on router now its working. Only thing I can figure is I was blocking macs and reset before I went toned and it turned off mac filtering cleared it. I will keep playing with it and update you later.
    Well, glad it's working for you. The mystery continues, the problem was a mystery as is the solution,
  15.    #15  
    well it has to be I had mac filtering on. I know I didn't check it last night but after router reset it was off today. I have hid my ssid and using wpa2 without issue. I have powered off touchpad still connects right up. Its like I always say check the simple stuff first I just missed this one.

thx for all the help just glad it was this simple.