Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    First the details:
    Just like the title says, do you know how to make launcher bookmarks that show up with transparent backgrounds instead of white squares? Similar to the stock apps, Web for example.

Now the Rant:
    What a pain in the a**. Why is it so difficult to assign a custom icon to a bookmark?!?!? After searching and reading several places I am done and must just post the question. Basically I just want to create a bookmark launcher icon that looks like a regular app icon when it's in the Favorites "drawer" or on the launcher "bar". How crazy is it that the system squashes my globe icon!!!! Ugh! I finally figured out the squash issue but come on!

Continuing the rant in case you haven't figured out how to make a circle a circle instead of an oval! This is what I have done to make my globe an actual globe.
    1) Find your icon (in this case a png earth with transparent background) on Google images.
    2) Open in your image editor and change your size to 90x90, change your canvas to 90x120 and then stretch your image vertically to fill the 120 area. Yeah, make a oval to get a circle result...who woulda thunk!!!!
    3) Throw the image up on your Dropbox account and open it up in the browser and do the usual documented fixes to the name and url prior to placing it on your launcher.

Really!?!?!? Why couldn't they just leave it the way it was with the Pre where you could edit the icon within the save dialog. Have I said UGH already!

Anyone know where the stock app icons are stored, maybe I can figure out the transparent thing with one of those as an example, I know where the browser ones are but those all have the white background. It probably is posted somewhere but to tell you the truth I think I am tired of looking for a solution to this transparent thing.

Rant End!
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atraum View Post
    First the details:
    Just like the title says, do you know how to make launcher bookmarks that show up with transparent backgrounds instead of white squares? Similar to the stock apps, Web for example.

Now the Rant:
    What a pain in the a**. Why is it so difficult to assign a custom icon to a bookmark?!?!? After searching and reading several places I am done and must just post the question. Basically I just want to create a bookmark launcher icon that looks like a regular app icon when it's in the Favorites "drawer" or on the launcher "bar". How crazy is it that the system squashes my globe icon!!!! Ugh! I finally figured out the squash issue but come on!

Continuing the rant in case you haven't figured out how to make a circle a circle instead of an oval! This is what I have done to make my globe an actual globe.
    1) Find your icon (in this case a png earth with transparent background) on Google images.
    2) Open in your image editor and change your size to 90x90, change your canvas to 90x120 and then stretch your image vertically to fill the 120 area. Yeah, make a oval to get a circle result...who woulda thunk!!!!
    3) Throw the image up on your Dropbox account and open it up in the browser and do the usual documented fixes to the name and url prior to placing it on your launcher.

Really!?!?!? Why couldn't they just leave it the way it was with the Pre where you could edit the icon within the save dialog. Have I said UGH already!

Anyone know where the stock app icons are stored, maybe I can figure out the transparent thing with one of those as an example, I know where the browser ones are but those all have the white background. It probably is posted somewhere but to tell you the truth I think I am tired of looking for a solution to this transparent thing.

Rant End!
    The icons are in the application's directory. Using Internalz Pro browse to:

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/[insert app name here]

There are two icons, one of them is for the launcher. They are .png which allow for a transparent background.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Thanks for the follow-up message. Think I'm going to give up on this and just live with the white background. My assumption is that when you "Add to Launcher" the browser does do something to the image background prior to placing it, probably a good assumption since it also squishes it. For my test I copied a full directory (in this case the web directory) moved it over to my desktop and extracted all the .png files. None of the sizes matched my successful 90x120 probably due to the squish. All of the icons that matched the globe were transparent when viewing in Photoshop but were subsequently squished and given a white border when using the "Add to Launcher" feature. My assumption is that the icons that are used for actual programs are treated differently.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    OK, I am now officially giving up...really. Tried one last thing and that was to get a freshly created "Add to Launcher" icon out of the var/luna/browser/icons directory. Wasn't what I expected. It creates a 32x32, 64x64 and 90x120. The 32 & 64 are perfectly square and transparent and the 120 is stretched to fill. Just out of curiosity I created my globe in these variations but ensured I left transparent area on the stretched one. Renamed them and overwrote all 3 in the var directory. The icon didn't change, not even after a restart or Emergency Filecache Wipe. Oh well, square icons are OK