Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BooR4dley
  • 1 Post By dodnet
  1.    #1  
    Is there a way to make my Touchpad turn off Wi-Fi automatically when screen is off?
    (perhaps after 30 minutes of non-use?)

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    go to wifi, sleep settings (top left corner), and set turn wifi off
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    If you open up the WiFi preferences and click the drop down menu in the upper left of the screen there is a sleep setting menu. That should take care of it.
    davidtm likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks... got it...

How much battery power do I save by having Wi-Fi turned off during sleep?
    Depends on the scinario.

If your constantly within reach of your wireless router (you leave it at home/work...etc) you wont notice a difference.

If you are constantly turning on and off your screen its possible to see a negative difference (wifi waking and sleeping constantly).

However if your usually away from a router for long periods of time (or like me at my college jumping from router to router if its left on as I walk across campus) you might see an extension in battery life.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

I saw a huge impact on battery life after turning off wifi. Now that battery loses almost nothing over night (max 1-2 percent battery). With wifi on it lost several percent during night.
    next_milenium likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    I saw a huge impact on battery life after turning off wifi. Now that battery loses almost nothing over night (max 1-2 percent battery). With wifi on it lost several percent during night.
    I've noticed the same, letting wifi sleep seems to have a significant improvement on battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodnet View Post
    well this is the case.

turning off the radios will allow you to extend your battery life.

it is the same with your cell phone (smart phone to be exact) with all the radios available- wifi, 3g, 4g, bluetooth, gps, for obvious reasons, leaving all of them on will drain your battery.

the best method is to turn them off if you no longer need to use them. though the radio needed to make phone calls cannot be toggled unless you turn off the phone or go into "air plane mode". by leaving this radio on itll use up the battery, and if there is no antenna in range itll use up more because the frequency which the radio will ping for a cell phone tower to get a response.
    The drawback to turning the wifi off is if you are using a place that requires you to register when you make a connection (like at McDonalds), every time your screen turns off, your wifi connection terminates and you'll have to re-register when you turn your screen back on. Can be a real pain.
    thanks that was useful i had no idea that was a setting......
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by froggys View Post
    thanks that was useful i had no idea that was a setting......
    Same here. Really glad I stumbled across this thread.